Problem with calculating eigen vector for 2*2 Matrix

In summary: It's good to have a check on your work.Related Threads on EIGENVALUES AND EIGENVECTORSHot ThreadsLimit of a function as n approaches infinity Recent InsightsInsights Physical Applications of the “Tan Rule” Insights Corrections to MIT Open Courseware: Systems of Varying Mass
zak100

Homework Statement

r1= 2 7
r2=-1 -6

Homework Equations

A-lambda*I=0
(A-lambda*I)*x=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got following eigen values:
lambda1 = -5 and lambda2=1

A-lambdaI matrix is:
r1 = 7 7
r2 = -1 -1

and x matrix is:
r1 =x
r2 =y

I can't understand why we have to use augmented matrix in this case.
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Attachments

• prob with finding eigen vectors.jpg
    prob with finding eigen vectors.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 370
Physics news on Phys.org
zak100 said:
Probably because it is how it is taught by your teacher. You will have to solve ##\begin{bmatrix}2&7\\-1&-6\end{bmatrix}\cdot \begin{bmatrix}x\\y \end{bmatrix}=\lambda \cdot \begin{bmatrix}x\\y\end{bmatrix}## for ##\lambda \in \{\,-5,1\,\}##. How you manage to do this is your choice. Just make sure, that your procedure will do good work for ##5 \times 5## matrices as well.

Likes SammyS
zak100 said:

Homework Statement

r1= 2 7
r2=-1 -6

Homework Equations

A-lambda*I=0
(A-lambda*I)*x=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got following eigen values:

A-lambdaI matrix is:
r1 = 7 7
r2 = -1 -1
Here ##\lambda = -5##.
zak100 said:
and x matrix is:
r1 =x
r2 =y

You don't have to use an augmented matrix here, since the right side of your matrix equation is the zero vector.
In a nutshell, you have ##(A - \lambda I)\vec x = \vec 0##
In matrix form, with ##\lambda = -5##, this looks like
##\begin{bmatrix} 7 & 7 \\ -1 & -1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##

You could do this using an augmented matrix, but since the right side of this equation is the zero vector, it won't change. Just row-reduce the matrix on the left side to find the eigenvector that is associated with ##\lambda = -5##. Do the same kind of work for the other eigenvalue and its eigenvector.
zak100 said:
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Hi,
Thanks. I don't have any clear directives. But I would use one which is simple.

For λ1 =-5
AX = -5[x ]
y
Now,

[2 7 ] * [x] = [-5x ]
[ -1 -6] [y] [-5y]
Now 2x + 7y = -5x-------(1)
-x -6y = -5y-------(2)

From (1) 2x+5x = -7y => 7x = -7y There μ1 = [-1 ]
From (2) also, -x -6y = -5y => -x = y There again μ= [-1 ]
1 For λ2=1

[2 7] * [x] = 1* [x ]
[ -1 -6 ] [y] [ y]Now 2x +7y = x +> x = -7y, Therefore μ2[=[-7]
[1]

Again, -x -6y =y Therefore μ2 =[-7]
[1]
Verify:
A* μ2 = λ2[x]
[y]

[2 7] * [-7] = 1 * [-7]
[-1 -6] [1] [1]

-14 + 7 = -7 (true)
7-6 = 1(true)And for μ1:

A * μ1 = λ1 * μ1

[2 7] * [-1] = -5 * [ -1]
[ -1 -6] [1] [1 ]

-2+7 = 5(ture)

1 -6 = -5(true)

Thanks for teaching me.

Zulfi.

Hi Mark44,
You are right. My answer is same even if I don't use the augmented matrix. I think for 2*2, we should not be using augmented Matrix. Is it correct?
We will use the augmented matrix if (A - lambda* I)x (where x is a vector) = b (where b is a vector), but we may not get such a case in 2*2?

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi Mark44,
You are right. My answer is same even if I don't use the augmented matrix. I think for 2*2, we should not be using augmented Matrix. Is it correct?
You don't need an augmented matrix for 2 x 2, 3 x 3, etc.
zak100 said:
We will use the augmented matrix if (A - lambda* I)x (where x is a vector) = b (where b is a vector), but we may not get such a case in 2*2?
When you're finding eigenvectors, you don't need an augmented matrix.

From the definition of eigenvalue/eigenvector, if ##\lambda_1## is an eigenvalue with associated eigenvector ##\vec{x_1}##, then ##A\vec{x_1} = \lambda_1 \vec{x_1}##, or equivalently, ##(A\vec{x_1} - \lambda_1 I)\vec{x_1} = \vec 0##.

##A\vec{x_1} - \lambda_1 I## is the matrix you're working with, and since the right side of the equation is the zero vector, you don't need an augmented matrix. You would only need an augmented matrix if the right side happened to be a nonzero vector of constants, which it never is when you're finding an eigenvector.

Also, your work in finding the eigenvectors agrees with what I found.

1. What is an eigen vector?

An eigen vector is a vector that does not change direction when multiplied by a matrix. It is associated with a specific eigenvalue, which represents the scaling factor of the vector.

2. Why is calculating eigen vectors important?

Calculating eigen vectors is important in many fields of science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to solve systems of linear equations, find stable solutions to differential equations, and analyze the behavior of dynamical systems.

3. What is the problem with calculating eigen vectors for a 2x2 matrix?

The problem with calculating eigen vectors for a 2x2 matrix is that it can sometimes result in complex numbers as solutions, which can be difficult to interpret and work with in practical applications.

4. How can the problem with calculating eigen vectors for a 2x2 matrix be solved?

One way to solve this problem is by using the characteristic equation, which involves finding the roots of a polynomial. This can provide real-valued solutions for the eigen vectors.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating eigen vectors for a 2x2 matrix?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the diagonalization technique or the power method. These methods may provide more efficient and accurate solutions for finding the eigen vectors of a 2x2 matrix.