Problem with magnets and poles

In summary, according to the conversation, the north end of a compass should point towards the south pole of a bar magnet. However, every compass that the speaker brought near the bar magnets behaved the opposite. The north end of the compass points towards the north pole of each and every magnet, even if the magnets are new or notnear the compass. Additionally, there are not many possibilities as to what could be causing the compass to behave this way.
jldibble
I have several bar magnets with the north and south poles labeled on them. It is my understanding that a compass itself is a tiny magnet and the north (often the red part of the compass) end is itself a north polarity. This means that this end would point towards a south pole of a magnet. From every reference book or website I've looked at, the north end of the compass should point along the magnetic field and direct itself towards the south pole.

Every compass that I bring near these brand new bar magnets behave the opposite as expected. The north end of the compass points towards the labeled north pole of each and every magnet. Either all of these magnets are mislabeled or there is something that I'm missing.

I know for a fact that the problem is not in the compasses...they all correctly point towards our geographic north.

What's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is my understanding that a compass itself is a tiny magnet and the north (often the red part of the compass) end is itself a north polarity.
The compass needle has a north-seeking pole. Useful to add the "seeking" part in your head when thinking about these things.

Every compass that I bring near these brand new bar magnets behave the opposite as expected. The north end of the compass points towards the labeled north pole of each and every magnet. Either all of these magnets are mislabeled or there is something that I'm missing.

I know for a fact that the problem is not in the compasses...they all correctly point towards our geographic north.
... probably the magnets are not labelled the way you expected.

jldibble said:

compasses DO NOT point to the geographic north , they point to the magnetic north pole ( well the south pole end of the compass needle does)

Historically, (in a nutshell) the direction towards the pole star (the bit of the horizon below the pole star) was called "north".
... the north-seeking end of the compass, and thereby of all magnets, is so named because (by common observation) the direction it points was/is kinda close to the bit the the horizon below the Pole Star.

A compass acts as a reasonable approximation to the direction of "North" to stand in for the Polaris when it is not visible, that is, often enough to be useful for navigation over short distances. Longer if you correct for the difference. Much of the time. Compasses acting up is also common... i.e. if there is another magnet nearby. Whence the study of magnetism.

This means that "magnetic north" (as opposed to geographic north) is actually (above) a south-seeking magnetic pole.
It is easy to get confused.

Anyway - OP just wanted to say that the compasses used were not at fault. Just replace North-magnetic for geographic North and we have satsfied the technical terms. It is common-enough use that compasses point "north".

Also see: http://amasci.com/miscon/miscon4.html#north

It is my understanding that a compass itself is a tiny magnet and the north (often the red part of the compass) end is itself a north polarity.

If the planet has a north pole at the North pole which end of the compass would be attracted to it?

I'm aware that there is actually a magnetic south pole located near our geographic north pole. The problem I'm having is that multiple magnets (new and old ones that I found) do not behave as expected when a compass is near them. The red (north) end of every single compass always points towards the north pole of these bar magnets.

Do they behave the same when they are some distance from the compass?

CWatters said:
Do they behave the same when they are some distance from the compass?
same reaction when close and farther away from the magnets

Have you compared with other magnets ... i.e. not new ones?
How are you determining the polarity of the magnets - besides using a compass?

It is difficult to figure out what is the case without seeing the details of how you are testing them.

However there are not that many possibilities.

1. the compasses are faulty
2. something environmental is throwing the compasses off
3. the magnet poles are not labelled correctly (or the labeling is misread/misunderstood)

A properly functioning magnetic compass with no external influences will determine the correct polarity of the magnet.
I'd do the test with the simplest compass possible ... you have not said what kind of compass was used.
I'd do the test in widely separated places moving nothing but the magnet and the compass.
And I'd read any documentation that comes with the magnets carefully.

jldibble said:
The red (north) end of every single compass always points towards the north pole of these bar magnets.
I am not sure what the issue is. Seems like just a labeling convention to me. The physics don't care what end is labeled what, and different magnet manufacturers may have different labeling conventions. The point is that a given pair of magnets will attract one way and repel the other way.

I think that Simon Bridges point number 3 is the most likely. As long as a given pair always attracts the same way then the physics is satisfied.

Perhaps try converting some of the magnets into compasses by floating them on a bit of cork/wood/foam. See what happens.

Likes jldibble
CWatters said:
Perhaps try converting some of the magnets into compasses by floating them on a bit of cork/wood/foam. See what happens.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to try it today.

I remember choosing to ignore my Physics teacher's use of the word "Seeking" and was confused for a long time. I then sussed out that the Earth's 'North Pole' is, in fact a 'South Seeking Pole'.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to try it today.
If you don't believe the compass test, then why would you believe this one?
What is this test going to tell you that you have not already found out by other means?
Well, you've done it by now so ... what did you find out? :)

What kind of magnets are these, who made them, and where did you get them from?
Have you compared with other magnets ... i.e. not new ones?
How are you determining the polarity of the magnets?

It is difficult to figure out what is the case without seeing the details of how you are testing them.
However there are not that many possibilities. etc.

What is the problem with magnets and poles?

The problem with magnets and poles is that they do not always behave as expected. While magnets usually have two poles, a north and a south, they can sometimes exhibit more complex behaviors such as multiple poles or even no poles at all.

Why do magnets have poles?

Magnets have poles because they are made up of tiny magnetic domains, which are groups of aligned atomic magnets. The alignment of these domains creates a north and south pole, resulting in the magnetic properties of the magnet.

What causes magnets to lose their magnetism?

There are several factors that can cause a magnet to lose its magnetism, such as exposure to high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, and physical damage. Additionally, over time, a magnet's magnetic domains can become disorganized, reducing its overall magnetic strength.

Can magnets attract or repel each other at a distance?

Yes, magnets can attract or repel each other at a distance. This is due to the magnetic fields that surround each magnet. Opposite poles will attract each other, while like poles will repel each other.

Is there a limit to how strong a magnet can be?

Yes, there is a limit to how strong a magnet can be. This limit is determined by the properties of the materials used to create the magnet and the alignment of its magnetic domains. It is possible to create extremely strong magnets, but there is a point at which the magnetic force can no longer be increased.