Problem with Static Friction -- Two blocks on a platform

In summary: But, please correct me if I am wrong, are you saying that are friction between the blocks?If that is what you are saying, this is not the case. The friction is between the platform and the blocks."I am saying that there could be any type of force between the blocks, not necessarily friction. The problem is statically indeterminate because there is not enough information to determine the forces between the blocks.##\ ##In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the normal force when the friction between two blocks and a platform is less than maximum. The participants also discuss the acceleration of the blocks and the possibility of other forces between the blocks. The problem is considered statically indeterminate due to insufficient information.
Astr
Hello, everyone.
This problem is easy if you assume that the friction between the blocks and the platform is the maximum possible. Then the normal force is 0. But how can you show that the normal is 0 even when the friction is less than maximum?
Thank you for your help.
1642603188752.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Astr said:
Then the normal force is 0
Do you mean: the force of interaction between the blocks ?

What about the acceleration of each of the blocks when the friction between the blocks and the platform is less than maximum ?

Astr said:
if you assume that the friction between the blocks and the platform is the maximum possible. Then the normal force is 0.
This happens when the blocks are at the point of sliding, and beyond that point as well, right ?

##\ ##

Thank you for your questions, BvU.

BvU said:
"Do you mean: the force of interaction between the blocks ?"
Yes, the force of interaction between the blocks, or the normal force between them (i.e. the contact force that is perpendicular to the surface of the blocks).

"What about the acceleration of each of the blocks when the friction between the blocks and the platform is less than maximum ?"
That is the question I can't answer yet. I guess is still 0, but I don't know how to prove it.

"This happens when the blocks are at the point of sliding, and beyond that point as well, right ?"
Yes, that is correct, because this is the equation of the normal force that mass 2 exerted over mass 1:
1642608173762.png

So, if Fr1km1g and if Fr2km2g then the normal is 0.##\ ##

Last edited:
That is the question I can't answer yet
In that case none of the blocks is sliding. So their acceleration is exactly equal, and the friction force alone (between blocks and platform) is causing that acceleration. Meaning the net force is the frinction force, ergo the contact force must be zero !

##\ ##

Yes, that is correct, because this is the equation of the normal force that mass 2 exerted over mass 1:
1642608173762-png.png
I don't recognize this. Where does it come from ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
I don't recognize this. Where does it come from ?

##\ ##
That can be deduced from Newton's laws of motion like this:

1642610147185.png

Taking the masses as a whole, this is the Newton's second law for the system:
$$(m_1+m_2)a=Fr_1 + Fr_2$$
(With ##Fr_1## and ##Fr_2## the respectively friction forces)
Which implies:
$$a=\frac{Fr_1+Fr_2}{m_1+m_2}$$
Newton's second law for the For the ##m_1##
$$m_1a=Fr_1 -N_{21}$$
Then:
$$N_{21}=Fr_1 -m_1a$$
Replacing ##a##, and cancelling similar terms you'll get to:
$$N_{21}=\frac{m_2Fr_1-m_1Fr_2}{m_1+m_2}$$

it is a statically indeterminate problem even for a=0

Likes jbriggs444 and PeroK
wrobel said:
Thank you for your answer, but I don´t think is correct. I get an answer for ##a=0##, and for ##a=\mu_{est}g##, and the result can be obtained from Newton's second and third laws of motion.

Astr said:
Hello, everyone.
This problem is easy if you assume that the friction between the blocks and the platform is the maximum possible. Then the normal force is 0. But how can you show that the normal is 0 even when the friction is less than maximum?
Thank you for your help.
The question is whether you could have a force between the blocks. And the answer must be yes. A very large coefficient of friction would mean that the blocks are effectively stuck to the surface. It would, therefore, take significant force between them to push them apart (even if the whole system has some horizontal acceleration).

PeroK said:
The question is whether you could have a force between the blocks. And the answer must be yes. A very large coefficient of friction would mean that the blocks are effectively stuck to the surface. It would, therefore, take significant force between them to push them apart (even if the whole system has some horizontal acceleration).
Thank you for your answer. But, please correct me if I am wrong, are you saying that are friction between the blocks?
If that is what you are saying, this is not the case. The friction is between the platform and the blocks.

Astr said:
Thank you for your answer. But, please correct me if I am wrong, are you saying that are friction between the blocks?
If that is what you are saying, this is not the case. The friction is between the platform and the blocks.
Not friction between the blocks. There could be any force between the blocks. They could, say, be charged and be electromagnetically repelling each other. They could also be attracting each other.

There could be a small compressed spring between them, trying to force them apart.

As @wrobel says, this makes the problem statically indeterminate. You may add internal forces to the system that do not result in motion.

Last edited:
But you don't give the meaning of these variables. What are they ?

[edit] this is in reply to #6. It looks as if we are going astray with this thread!
post #7 explains the variables.
It is not very handy to take the two blocks as a whole !
Look at the individual blocks and calculate the acceleration of each one due to the friction with the platform. If they are identical there is no way one block can 'push' the other.

##\ ##

• Sad
Likes Astr
@BvU
"It is not very handy to take the two blocks as a whole"
If you look carefully I analyzed both, the blocks as a whole and the block with mass ##m_1##. You can do the same for mass ##m_2##, but it is redundant because you can deduce that from Newton's third law.
"Look at the individual blocks and calculate the acceleration of each one due to the friction with the platform"
If you calmly read again the question you can conclude, obviously, that the acceleration of everything -blocks and platform- is the same because, by hypothesis, the acceleration is such that every block is in the static friction regime.
"If they are identical there is no way one block can 'push' the other."

That is the question of the post. How can you prove it?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Astr said:
"If they are identical there is no way one block can 'push' the other."

That is the question of the post. How can you prove it?
It's already been explained several times that this is not the case. You can't prove something that is not true. Especially when it's been shown to be false!

BvU said:
Look at the individual blocks and calculate the acceleration of each one due to the friction with the platform. If they are identical there is no way one block can 'push' the other.
This can't be correct. The blocks may be pushing each other without sufficient force to overcome the friction.

If you are pushing a large block that isn't moving (and neither are you) because of friction, then you have a static scenario yet you do not have zero forces between you and the block. This may not change if the floor starts accelerating: there may still be no motion relative to the floor.

Likes Astr
Thanks @PeroK.
" There could be any force between the blocks. They could, say, be charged and be electromagnetically repelling each other. They could also be attracting each other."
Suppose there is no such a thing as springs, net electric charge, etc. Only the contact force is present.
Can you prove that the normal force between the blocks is 0 when ##Fr<Fr_{max}##.

I can prove that this normal is 0 if friction is proportional to the mass.

Astr said:
Thanks @PeroK.
" There could be any force between the blocks. They could, say, be charged and be electromagnetically repelling each other. They could also be attracting each other."
Suppose there is no such a thing as springs, net electric charge, etc. Only the contact force is present.
Can you prove that the normal force between the blocks is 0 when ##Fr<Fr_{max}##.
This makes no sense. There could be a force, so you cannor prove there is not. If you assume there is no contact force, then that isn't a proof.
Astr said:
I can prove that this normal is 0 if friction is proportional to the mass.
If you really could prove that, you could also prove there are no horizontal intermolecular forces within the blocks.

Likes nasu
I must be missing something important, but I can't find out what. The problem statement mentions
1642632198946.png
and in my naive book that means ##F_{\text{friction, max}}=\mu mg##. So block 1 experiences a friction force
##F\le\mu\, m_1\,g## and block 2 ##F\le \mu \,m_2\, g##. Accelerations are ##\mu g##, i.e. the same for both, if ##a\ge \mu g## and ##a## if there is no sliding.

If there is no sliding, there is no contact force between the blocks. If there is sliding, both blocks experience the same acceleration, ergo no contact force between the blocks either.

I acknowledge
wrobel said:
but if the exercise composer is devious enough to have an initial nonzero contact force, he/she is more or less obliged to say something about it. I can't believe such a mischievous setup in a textbook.

##\ ##

BvU said:
If there is no sliding, there is no contact force between the blocks.
This assertion is false.

Take, for instance the situation where I am standing in the bed of a pickup truck that is slowly accelerating from a stop. I am facing forward, pushing on a heavy box that is also sitting in the bed.

My shoes are not sliding on the bed. The box is not sliding on the bed. Yet there is a force between us. The situation is statically indeterminate.

Likes BvU
BvU said:
If there is no sliding, there is no contact force between the blocks. If there is sliding, both blocks experience the same acceleration, ergo no contact force between the blocks either.
One of the blocks could be leaning on the other. There would be more friction on one block and less on the other, depening on the direction of the external acceleration. And this may apply whenever the friction is less than the maximum.

You may assume that is not the case, but you can't prove those internal forces between the blocks do not exist.

Likes BvU
I certainly agree, but have a hard time believing the exercise composer wants the student to consider such complications and worry about them. My careful conclusion: not a top quality exercise.

##\ ##

BvU said:
I certainly agree, but have a hard time believing the exercise composer wants the student to consider such complications and worry about them. My careful conclusion: not a top quality exercise.
The available answers are all wrong. The answer is indeterminate. It's not that complicated, as the static examples show. It's more a fundamental lack of knowledge on the part of the question setter. Or, just an oversight.

If the question was whether the accelerated motion requires a force between the blocks, then the answer is no.

Likes Doc Al, jbriggs444 and BvU
PeroK said:
If you are pushing a large block that isn't moving (and neither are you) because of friction, then you have a static scenario yet you do not have zero forces between you and the block. This may not change if the floor starts accelerating: there may still be no motion relative to the floor.
That is not the identical case as the two blocks sitting on a platform. Because you are talking about shifting of center of mass from the stable point. Blocks are stable. They are not leaning on each other. They may have different masses due to different materials but we can see in figure they are exactly identical.
BvU said:
In that case none of the blocks is sliding. So their acceleration is exactly equal, and the friction force alone (between blocks and platform) is causing that acceleration. Meaning the net force is the frinction force, ergo the contact force must be zero !
If we assume they have not been started accelerating and are asked about the force during acceleration then the force between both the blocks will be zero in all cases.

1. What is static friction and how does it affect two blocks on a platform?

Static friction is a force that occurs when two objects are in contact with each other but are not moving relative to each other. In the case of two blocks on a platform, static friction prevents the blocks from sliding or moving on the platform.

2. What factors can affect the amount of static friction between the two blocks?

The amount of static friction between two blocks on a platform can be affected by the weight of the blocks, the surface material of the blocks and the platform, and the angle of inclination of the platform.

3. How is the coefficient of static friction related to the force needed to move the blocks?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces in contact. The higher the coefficient of static friction, the more force is needed to overcome static friction and move the blocks on the platform.

4. Can static friction be greater than the force applied to move the blocks?

Yes, static friction can be greater than the force applied to move the blocks. This is known as the maximum static friction and it occurs when the force applied is not enough to overcome the resistance of static friction.

5. How can the problem with static friction be solved in order to move the blocks on the platform?

To move the blocks on the platform, the force applied must be greater than the maximum static friction. This can be achieved by increasing the force applied, decreasing the weight of the blocks, using a smoother surface material, or decreasing the angle of inclination of the platform.