Project Management | Robotics PM Advice

In summary, the project manager is trying to decide whether to bring in the subject matter expert on the team or not. They are worried that the expert will take all the jobs and that the team will be lazy.
CiscoCertified
Hey, I know this forum is filled with engineers so I want to really get other peoples opinion whether you should ask your Subject Matter Expert on a team if they are an expert and it is their profession in engineering. For example, I am the project manager of my high school robotics team. We are choosing between wheel based launch method and pneumatics for tshirt cannon. Our more aggressive mentor (who is an IT guy btw), says pneumatics will take longer, is more complicated, and will cost more. My main problem with those concerns is we haven't even brought in our expert in the subject matter. From my understanding in a professional team of engineers you would bring in the foremost expert on the issue before you throw out a design that could end up being better (less time, equal or less complexity, equal or less cost) if you have that resource available (we have a ME on the mentor team). So at our brainstorm meeting he wanted to throw out our pneumatics design without consulting the expert. I put my foot down to do what's best for the team and bring in our expert. Opinions from engineers or physics/engineering majors.

P.S: Our ME is on business leave and I am going to proceed with the two wheel based designs but leave the pneumatics one open if our SME is able to give us his opinion and crunch some ballpark numbers we can then make a decision based on facts and non-bias based on what the SME says.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Good for you. Average people cave.

cellurl said:
Good for you. Average people cave.
I am going to assume I am being trolled by that response?

no not at all. I don't type much. Its my problem. My son was in robotics last year. A woman took control as mentor and every night I heard grumbling of how they disagreed with her taking all the jobs for herself. One guy on the team was (like you?) was going to oust her, but in the end, they all went along with her out of lazyness/contrition? Anyway, people get what they fight for. Perhaps I am off topic at this point. Either way, you will have some experience with project management...

cellurl said:
no not at all. I don't type much. Its my problem. My son was in robotics last year. A woman took control as mentor and every night I heard grumbling of how they disagreed with her taking all the jobs for herself. One guy on the team was (like you?) was going to oust her, but in the end, they all went along with her out of lazyness/contrition? Anyway, people get what they fight for. Perhaps I am off topic at this point. Either way, you will have some experience with project management...
You're not off topic :). I appreciate the advice/story as that is similar to my situation. (one situation being the advisor/teacher and the other being the non-engineering mentor). I guess I have to continue to fight the system. :/ Thanks again!

1. What is Project Management in the context of Robotics?

Project Management in the context of Robotics is the application of project management principles, techniques, and tools to the planning, execution, and monitoring of robotics projects. It involves managing resources, timelines, budgets, and risks to ensure the successful completion of a robotics project.

2. What are some key skills needed for a Robotics Project Manager?

Some key skills needed for a Robotics Project Manager include strong leadership and communication skills, technical knowledge of robotics and automation, project planning and organization, budget and resource management, risk assessment and management, and the ability to adapt to changing project needs.

3. How does Project Management differ in the field of Robotics compared to other industries?

Project Management in the field of Robotics differs from other industries in terms of the technical complexity and high level of precision required. Robotics projects often involve cutting-edge technology and innovative solutions, which require a deep understanding of the subject matter. Additionally, the fast-paced and constantly evolving nature of the robotics industry requires Project Managers to be adaptable and agile in their approach.

4. What are some common challenges in managing a Robotics project?

Some common challenges in managing a Robotics project include managing technical complexity, budget and resource constraints, coordinating with cross-functional teams, mitigating risks, and ensuring the project stays on track and meets deadlines. Additionally, the integration of different components and technologies in a robotics project can also pose challenges.

5. What advice do you have for someone starting out as a Robotics Project Manager?

My advice for someone starting out as a Robotics Project Manager would be to gain a strong understanding of robotics and automation technologies, as well as project management principles and methodologies. It is also important to develop good communication and leadership skills, and to be adaptable and open to learning and evolving as the robotics industry continues to advance. Additionally, staying organized, managing risks effectively, and building strong relationships with team members and stakeholders are crucial for success as a Robotics Project Manager.