Project Staffing formula in Excel

In summary, the conversation is about determining the staffing requirement for an ongoing project that involves completing tasks for 461 clients, with each task taking a minimum of 10 minutes and needing to be repeated quarterly. The total time needed for these tasks is calculated to be 77 hours, and Sue is looking for a formula in Excel to adjust for different numbers of clients and minutes. She is also reminded that the formula should use the number of clients, not hours, as the variable.
Sue Hughes
Greetings all -

I am trying to determine the staffing requirement for an ongoing project. Here are the project specs, and I need to know if I need a part time or full time person.

461 clients
10 minutes to complete each client task (minimum of 10 minutes)
Repeat each task quarterly

How many hours a week would be needed to complete these 461 clients at ten minutes each. We need to repeat this quarterly.

Do you need more information to get the Excel formula?

Thank you!
Sue

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Erm, at least 4610 minutes, or 77 hours will be the total time for 461 ten minute tasks. I'm not really sure what you're looking for, though.

Thank you for your quick reply Cristo

I need to tell management how many hours a quarter an employee would be working on this project.
If I had a formula in Excel, I could change those numbers of clients and numbers of minutes.

Sue

Ok, well there you go: 77 hours a quarter (if every slot is ten minutes precisely).

Do you by chance have the formula I could plug into Excel for when the times and number of clients change?

Sue

I can't remember what equations in Excel look like (I've not used it for a very long time), but algebraically, if n is the number of hours, and m is the number of minutes each task takes, then the number of hours in total is n*m/60 (then rounded up to the nearest hour).

I guess in excel this would look something like A1*B1/60

Excellent! I've got it. Thank you SO much!
Sue

You're welcome :smile:

cristo said:
I can't remember what equations in Excel look like (I've not used it for a very long time), but algebraically, if n is the number of hours, and m is the number of minutes each task takes, then the number of hours in total is n*m/60 (then rounded up to the nearest hour).

I guess in excel this would look something like A1*B1/60

I'm sure you meant number of clients rather than number of hours for n (the part I bolded). Just pointing it out to make sure Sue isn't confused by a typo. :wink:

Moonbear said:
I'm sure you meant number of clients rather than number of hours for n (the part I bolded). Just pointing it out to make sure Sue isn't confused by a typo. :wink:

Indeed I did mean number of clients: thanks MB!

Related to Project Staffing formula in Excel

1. What is a Project Staffing formula in Excel?

A Project Staffing formula in Excel is a tool used to determine the number of staff members needed for a particular project based on various factors such as project duration, skill requirements, and resource availability.

2. How is a Project Staffing formula calculated in Excel?

To calculate a Project Staffing formula in Excel, you will need to input the required variables, such as project start and end dates, resource availability, and skill requirements. Then, using Excel's built-in functions and formulas, the tool will automatically calculate the number of staff members needed for the project.

3. What are the benefits of using a Project Staffing formula in Excel?

Using a Project Staffing formula in Excel can help project managers make informed decisions about resource allocation and ensure that projects are adequately staffed. It can also save time and reduce the potential for human error in manual calculations.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a Project Staffing formula in Excel?

One limitation of using a Project Staffing formula in Excel is that it relies on accurate and up-to-date data. If any of the input variables are incorrect, it can lead to inaccurate results. Additionally, the formula may not account for unforeseen events or changes in project scope.

5. Can a Project Staffing formula in Excel be customized for different projects?

Yes, a Project Staffing formula in Excel can be customized to fit the specific needs and requirements of different projects. Project managers can adjust the variables and formulas to suit their unique project parameters and ensure accurate staffing calculations.