Projectile motion gun question

In summary, the problem involves determining the minimum angle of elevation for a shot fired from a gun with a muzzle velocity of 1200 ft/s to hit a target 3000 ft away. The solution involves using a vector function equation and solving for two solutions using a quadratic equation. The poster had originally made a mistake in simplifying the equation, leading to a larger angle than the correct answer.
laluser
I am having a problem with a question from my calc 3 class. I don't think there is any calculus involved, however. So the problem goes like this "A shot is fired from a gun with a muzzle velocity of 1200 ft/s is to hit a target 3000 ft away. Determine the minimum angle of elevation of the gun.
Okay so with the vector function equation r(t) = (v0cosøt)i + (v0sinøt -16t²)j
so i set v0cosøt = 3000 and solve for t and then plug that back in for v0sinøt-16t² and set it equal to 0 and solve for ø? That's what i did and get a different angle than the solutions. Could anyone point a finger in the right direction, please? Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

laluser said:
… Determine the minimum angle of elevation of the gun.
Okay so with the vector function equation r(t) = (v0cosøt)i + (v0sinøt -16t²)j
so i set v0cosøt = 3000 and solve for t and then plug that back in for v0sinøt-16t² and set it equal to 0 and solve for ø? That's what i did and get a different angle than the solutions. Could anyone point a finger in the right direction, please? Thank You.

Hi laluser! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Well, that looks like the right method …

it should give you a quadratic equation with two solutions …

perhaps you picked the wrong one?

If not, show us what equations you did get. :smile:

Thank you for your reply. I just went back to check my answer and I see that when i was simplifying 3000/100 i said it was 300 instead of 30 giving me much bigger angle. Thanks again!

Related to Projectile motion gun question

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. How does a projectile motion gun work?

A projectile motion gun uses a combination of a spring or compressed gas to launch a projectile, and gravity to determine its trajectory. The force of the compressed gas or spring provides the initial horizontal velocity, while gravity acts on the projectile to cause it to fall towards the ground.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile motion gun?

The trajectory of a projectile motion gun is affected by the initial velocity, the angle at which the projectile is launched, the force of gravity, and air resistance. Other factors such as wind and elevation can also play a role.

4. How can the range of a projectile motion gun be maximized?

The range of a projectile motion gun can be maximized by adjusting the angle at which the projectile is launched. A launch angle of 45 degrees will result in the maximum range for a given initial velocity. The force of gravity and air resistance should also be taken into account when trying to maximize range.

5. What is the purpose of studying projectile motion guns?

Studying projectile motion guns is important in understanding the laws of motion and gravity. It also has practical applications, such as in the design and development of weapons and sports equipment, as well as in space exploration and engineering. Projectile motion is also a fundamental concept used in many fields of science and engineering.