Projects to showcase capabilities for job application / interview

In summary, if you want to showcase your capabilities as a Power Distribution Engineer, focus on your academic achievements and presentations you have made. Employers are looking for employees who are smart, hard working, and loyal, so don't focus on substation engineering experience. Try to find a specialty in EE that you are interested in and focus on that.
icesalmon
I'm in the process of applying for jobs as a recent graduate( December 2020 ) and was curious what types of projects I could work on by myself to showcase my capabilities in Power Distribution Engineering (simulations, design work etc.).

I was thinking I could build a presentation around it and present this during an interview. My only issue is that I'm not sure what would be appropriate.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any internship experience which is why I want to try to use this to showcase my drive/passion for the work. I've applied to dozens of substation engineering positions for entry level engineering positions for 0+ years of experience.

Would looking at company websites and looking at their projects be a good start to get some ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For other specializations in EE I would have suggestions, but it sounds like @anorlunda is a better person to comment on your specialty. :smile:

Employers of new graduates aren't looking for people experienced in their specialties. They want smart, hard working, loyal employees who believe that the company they are joining is doing a public service.

So forget about demonstrating knowledge in substation engineering, and focus on your academic achievements and perhaps people who can talk about your smart, hard working and loyal qualities.

As a matter of fact, there are dozens of other power system engineering specialties that you probably never heard of. Let the recruiter try to recruit you into interest for the specialty they think you'll fit best.

Likes berkeman
I wouldn't be too selective. I went in for a job interview for an RF Engineering position and presented something I did with Verilog HDL. I admit I had a lot of internship experience although what they were looking for was for mmWave design (10+ GHz) the highest operating frequency I had worked with in the earlier internship was debugging a narrowband transceiver that operated within range of 500 MHz. The interviewers responded extremely positive to my presentation.

I also went to a lot of IEEE workshops we had on campus. We worked on a lot of small achievable projects that used Arduino. Something else that was extremely helpful for my earlier roles were related to layout, and I had experience with Altium designer. Altium has a free version called CircuitMaker, and so I would recommend checking that out. My suggestion wasn't much different in another thread, but maybe you can browse through what others said too :)

edit: Looks like there weren’t too many comments on the other thread :S

Last edited:

1. What is a project showcase for job application/interview?

A project showcase for job application/interview is a collection of projects or assignments that demonstrate a candidate's skills and expertise in a particular field. It is used to showcase the candidate's capabilities and suitability for a specific job or role.

2. Why is it important to have a project showcase for job application/interview?

Having a project showcase for job application/interview is important because it allows the candidate to demonstrate their skills and experience in a tangible way. It also sets them apart from other candidates and gives them an opportunity to showcase their unique capabilities.

3. What type of projects should be included in a project showcase?

The projects included in a project showcase should be relevant to the job or role the candidate is applying for. They should also showcase a variety of skills and experiences, such as technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and teamwork.

4. How should a project showcase be presented?

A project showcase can be presented in different ways, such as a portfolio, a website, or a presentation. The key is to make it visually appealing, organized, and easy to navigate. It should also include a brief description of each project and the skills demonstrated.

5. Can a project showcase be used for different job applications/interviews?

Yes, a project showcase can be used for different job applications/interviews. However, it is essential to tailor the projects and descriptions to each specific job or role to demonstrate the candidate's relevance and suitability for the position.