Proof by Induction: Proving n=i=0n∑ ai2i

What you've written so far seems to be trying to do this, but it's not at all clear what you're doing.##n+1-2^3=3##.But what you're missing is that you can't just subtract 2^3 like that. You need to subtract the largest power of 2 that's less than n+1. So for n+1 = 10, the largest power of 2 that's less than n+1 is 8. So you subtract 8, not 2^3.In general, you want to subtract the largest power of 2 you can, and then use the induction hypothesis on the remainder. This will show that you can represent n+1 as
Dank2
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

for every natural n there exists natural k.
and numbers={a0,a1,a2,...ak}∈{0,1}.

so that n=i=0n∑ ai2i

I will assume n=k, i know that if n is even then a0 =0.

so if i assume it is true for n that is Even:

n+1=i=0n+1∑ ai2i
(i=0n∑ ai2i)+1=i=0n+1∑ ai2i

now from here i can try removing 1from left hand side, it's even then i can just put a0=1
since a0 was 0.

i know that 2n+1>n+1, and therefore maybe i can try to remove it from right hand side:
and get that both sides are equal.

i'm having difficulty however, when n is uneven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dank2 said:
i know that 2n+1>n+1, and therefore maybe i can try to remove it from right hand side:
That is a much higher power of two than you want to work with. You want to use the largest power of two, ##2^k##, that is less than (EDIT: or equal to) n+1. Subtract that from n+1 and apply the assumption to the remainder.

Last edited:
This is not quite the correct form of an induction proof. Also, note that what this is saying is just "any natural number can be represented in binary with 0's and 1's".

For your proof then, you just need to show that you can add 1 in binary and the result represented in binary. The statement "there exists a k" just means "the binary representation has some finite length".

OK, now about the structure.
Dank2 said:
n=i=0n∑ ai2i
That's supposed to be a sum from 0 to k. You're just proving that n has a representation in k bits, for some k. For instance any number up to 31 can be represented with k = 5 or fewer bits.

Dank2 said:
I will assume n=k.
Why would you assume that? k in general will be a lot smaller than n. And the problem didn't say so, and if you prove that it only holds if k = n, then you haven't proved what you were supposed to prove. This assumption doesn't get you anywhere.

Recall the form of an induction proof.

1. Show it's true for n = 1. You didn't do this. How do you represent 1 as such a sum? What's k? How many terms do you need? What are they?

2. Assume it's true for n. Show it's true for n + 1.

OK, what you wrote can be part of this proof. It's easy to add 1 in binary if the number ends in 0, as you show. But your sums should not go to n. The thing you're proving has an unknown k in it, so leave the k in it.

Now your question is what to do when the number is odd? Well, I think I've given you plenty of hints on that, since I told you what mathematical operation is going on here.

FactChecker said:
That is a much higher power of two than you want to work with. You want to use the largest power of two, ##2^k##, that is less than n+1. Subtract that from n+1 and apply the assumption to the remainder.

I'm assuming it's true for ##n##. but by subtracting greater power of ##2k## that is less than ##n+1##, how do i get to ##n##?
since ##n-####2^k## > ##1## for example if ##n =10, k=3##.
##n+1-2^3=3##.

Dank2 said:
I'm assuming it's true for ##n##. but by subtracting greater power of ##2k## that is less than ##n+1##, how do i get to ##n##?
since ##n-####2^k## > ##1## for example if ##n =10, k=3##.
##n+1-2^3=3##.
You don't need to get to n, you just need to get to any natural number smaller than n+1. By subtracting any positive integer less than n+1, you get a smaller natural number. You can assume that you have proven the hypothesis for all natural numbers smaller than n+1. But subtracting a number too large will take you into the negative integers, for which nothing has been proven. That would be a mistake.

Dank2 said:
n+1=i=0n+1∑ ai2i
(i=0n∑ ai2i)+1=i=0n+1∑ ai2i
You still have a problem for even ##n##.

In your first line, you're saying
$$n+1 = \sum_{i=0}^{n+1} a_i 2^i,$$ which can work, though, as the others have pointed out, it doesn't really make sense to make the summation go to ##n+1##. The problem here, though, is that this is what you're trying to prove. You should not be assuming this line is true, but deducing it.

In your next line, you claim
$$\left(\sum_{i=0}^n a_i 2^i\right) +1 = \sum_{i=0}^{n+1}a_i 2^i.$$ This doesn't work. You're saying the same ##a##'s that work for ##n+1## also work for ##n##. If you consider n=7, then its binary representation is 111, but the binary representation of n+1=8 is 1000. Clearly, the ##a##'s are very different.

I think it would help you to use strong induction. Rather than assuming the statement is true for only ##n##, you assume it's true for ##0, 1, 2, \dots, n##. In other words, you assume there are binary representations for all natural numbers from 0 to ##n## and use this fact to show that there's one for ##n+1##.

Likes FactChecker

Related to Proof by Induction: Proving n=i=0n∑ ai2i

1. How does proof by induction work?

Proof by induction is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is proven to be true for the smallest natural number, and the inductive step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for a particular natural number, it is also true for the next natural number.

2. What is the formula for proof by induction?

The formula for proof by induction is n=i=0n∑ ai2i. This represents the sum of a series of numbers, starting from i=0 to n, where each term is multiplied by 2 to the power of i.

3. Can proof by induction be used for any statement?

No, proof by induction can only be used for statements that involve natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements involving real numbers or other types of numbers.

4. What is the difference between the base case and the inductive step in proof by induction?

The base case is the first step in proof by induction, where the statement is proven to be true for the smallest natural number. The inductive step is the second step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for a particular natural number, it is also true for the next natural number.

5. How do you know when to use proof by induction?

Proof by induction is used when trying to prove statements about natural numbers, such as formulas or equations. It is especially useful when dealing with recursive definitions or summations. It may also be used when trying to prove a statement for all values of n, where n represents a natural number.