Proof by mathematical induction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving mathematical induction and the proof of a theorem. The theorem states that if A is a subset of natural numbers and A contains k+1 whenever it contains a natural number k, then A is equal to the set of natural numbers greater than or equal to the smallest element of A. The conversation also explores examples and explanations of mathematical induction and how it can be used to solve this type of problem.
Korisnik
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right subforum because there is one about proofs, but it requires the question not to be homework-like, but I also need an explanation...

Homework Statement

Prove by mathematical induction:
Let [itex]m[/itex] be the smallest element of [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{N}[/itex]. If [itex]A[/itex] contains [itex]k+1[/itex] whenever it contains a natural number [itex]k[/itex], then [itex]A=\left\{n\in\mathbb{N}:n\geq m\right\}[/itex].

Now, what I don't understand here is how is this related to mathematical induction. I get some parts and my friend "slipped" me a clue so I'm afraid I couldn't understand it on my own... So if someone also knows where I could find more examples of mathematical induction of this kind, I'd be very grateful.

Homework Equations

Axiom of mathematical induction (which allows us to conclude, from some properties of subset [itex]M\subseteq\mathbb{N}[/itex], that [itex]M=\mathbb{N}[/itex]):

Let [itex]M[/itex] be a subset of a set of natural numbers [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex].
Let's assume that [itex]M[/itex] has these properties:
1) [itex]1\in M[/itex],
2) if [itex]n\in M[/itex] then so is [itex]n+1\in M[/itex].
Conclusion: [itex]M=\mathbb{N}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Now 10 questions before this one were just some [itex]1+2+\dots+n=\frac{n}{2}(1+n)[/itex] easy problems which I solved using the method: 1) check the base of the induction (first element in the sequence, in this case n=1), then (2) understand that [itex](1+2+\dots+n)+(n+1)=\left[\frac{n}{2}(1+n)\right]+(n+1)[/itex], and last - check if the result is the same for [itex]n+1[/itex], so:[itex]\left[\frac{n}{2}(1+n)\right]+(n+1)=\frac{n+1}{2}(1+(n+1))[/itex]. (I know that the second step is just replacing the variable's name, but I skip that since this is a faster way.)

In the original problem, however, I cannot identify the pattern. My best *guess* is that the first step would be 1) [itex]k=m[/itex], because that's the first element of set [itex]A[/itex]. So it's trivially true that [itex]k\in A[/itex] since it's its first element. The second step would be 2) [itex]k\geq m[/itex], because if it's true for [itex]n[/itex], then it's true for [itex]k[/itex]: [itex]A=\left\{k\in\mathbb{N}:k\geq m\right\}[/itex]. Since it's true for any [itex]k[/itex], by the definition "it's true for [itex]k+1[/itex] whenever it's true for [itex]k[/itex]", it's true for [itex]k+1[/itex]: [itex]A=\left\{k+1\in\mathbb{N}:k+1\geq m\right\}[/itex].

So can someone explain what exactly is mathematical induction in this problem, and how to solve the original problem.

(I think mathematical induction is (by axiom) finding the conditions to support that *whatever* is true for [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex], except if defined otherwise (for example, prove for [itex]n\geq4[/itex]).)

Physics news on Phys.org
Korisnik said:
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right subforum because there is one about proofs, but it requires the question not to be homework-like, but I also need an explanation...

Homework Statement

Prove by mathematical induction:
Let [itex]m[/itex] be the smallest element of [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{N}[/itex]. If [itex]A[/itex] contains [itex]k+1[/itex] whenever it contains a natural number [itex]k[/itex], then [itex]A=\left\{n\in\mathbb{N}:n\geq m\right\}[/itex].

Now, what I don't understand here is how is this related to mathematical induction.
It says "A contains k+ 1 whenever it contains A". That's what induction is all about. However, the way you have stated it, the theorem is NOT true. For example, the set A= {1/2, 3/2, 5/2, ...} satisfies all the hypotheses but does NOT contain all natural numbers. The condition "whenever it contains a natural number k, it contains k+ 1" is vacuously true if A contains NO natural numbers. You must add the condition that A contains at least one natural number. (Or that A is a subset of the natural numbers which you don't say.)

There are several ways to do this but the most direct use of induction is this: First let B be the set of all natural numbers in A (in order to ignore all "non"natural numbers that might be in A). Call the smallest natural number in A, "m". (Since A has a smallest element, it must have a smallest natural number. Then m is also the smallest natural number in B. Construct a set C such that C contains natural number n if and only if B contains n+ m- 1. Since B contains m, C contains 1. If C contain natural number i, then B contains natural number i+ m- 1. By the condition that "if A contain k it also contains k+ 1", if B contains i+ m- 1, it also contains i+ m so that C contains i+ 1. By induction C is the set of all natural numbers. Now use the one-to-one and onto functions that have been defined between A and B and between B and C to arrive at the conclusion.

I get some parts and my friend "slipped" me a clue so I'm afraid I couldn't understand it on my own... So if someone also knows where I could find more examples of mathematical induction of this kind, I'd be very grateful.

Homework Equations

Axiom of mathematical induction (which allows us to conclude, from some properties of subset [itex]M\subseteq\mathbb{N}[/itex], that [itex]M=\mathbb{N}[/itex]):

Let [itex]M[/itex] be a subset of a set of natural numbers [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex].
Let's assume that [itex]M[/itex] has these properties:
1) [itex]1\in M[/itex],
2) if [itex]n\in M[/itex] then so is [itex]n+1\in M[/itex].
Conclusion: [itex]M=\mathbb{N}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Now 10 questions before this one were just some [itex]1+2+\dots+n=\frac{n}{2}(1+n)[/itex] easy problems which I solved using the method: 1) check the base of the induction (first element in the sequence, in this case n=1), then (2) understand that [itex](1+2+\dots+n)+(n+1)=\left[\frac{n}{2}(1+n)\right]+(n+1)[/itex], and last - check if the result is the same for [itex]n+1[/itex], so:[itex]\left[\frac{n}{2}(1+n)\right]+(n+1)=\frac{n+1}{2}(1+(n+1))[/itex]. (I know that the second step is just replacing the variable's name, but I skip that since this is a faster way.)

In the original problem, however, I cannot identify the pattern. My best *guess* is that the first step would be 1) [itex]k=m[/itex], because that's the first element of set [itex]A[/itex]. So it's trivially true that [itex]k\in A[/itex] since it's its first element. The second step would be 2) [itex]k\geq m[/itex], because if it's true for [itex]n[/itex], then it's true for [itex]k[/itex]: [itex]A=\left\{k\in\mathbb{N}:k\geq m\right\}[/itex]. Since it's true for any [itex]k[/itex], by the definition "it's true for [itex]k+1[/itex] whenever it's true for [itex]k[/itex]", it's true for [itex]k+1[/itex]: [itex]A=\left\{k+1\in\mathbb{N}:k+1\geq m\right\}[/itex].

So can someone explain what exactly is mathematical induction in this problem, and how to solve the original problem.

(I think mathematical induction is (by axiom) finding the conditions to support that *whatever* is true for [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex], except if defined otherwise (for example, prove for [itex]n\geq4[/itex]).)

HallsofIvy said:
It says "A contains k+ 1 whenever it contains A". That's what induction is all about. However, the way you have stated it, the theorem is NOT true. For example, the set A= {1/2, 3/2, 5/2, ...} satisfies all the hypotheses but does NOT contain all natural numbers. The condition "whenever it contains a natural number k, it contains k+ 1" is vacuously true if A contains NO natural numbers. You must add the condition that A contains at least one natural number. (Or that A is a subset of the natural numbers which you don't say.)
I did say this (in bold), I denoted that [itex]m[/itex] is the element of [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{N}[/itex], where [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] is the set of natural numbers (conventionally). Therefore if [itex]m\in A[/itex] and [itex]A\subseteq \mathbb{N}\Rightarrow m\in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Therefore [itex]A[/itex] must have a natural number [itex]m[/itex] as the beginning.

HallsofIvy said:
(Or that A is a subset of the natural numbers which you don't say.)

The first line of the problem statement says *exactly* that.

Let [itex]m[/itex] be the smallest element of [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{N}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
There are several ways to do this but the most direct use of induction is this: First let B be the set of all natural numbers in A (in order to ignore all "non"natural numbers that might be in A). Call the smallest natural number in A, "m". (Since A has a smallest element, it must have a smallest natural number. Then m is also the smallest natural number in B. Construct a set C such that C contains natural number n if and only if B contains n+ m- 1. Since B contains m, C contains 1. If C contain natural number i, then B contains natural number i+ m- 1. By the condition that "if A contain k it also contains k+ 1", if B contains i+ m- 1, it also contains i+ m so that C contains i+ 1. By induction C is the set of all natural numbers. Now use the one-to-one and onto functions that have been defined between A and B and between B and C to arrive at the conclusion.
Ok I don't quite understand this. What you have shown is this:
[itex]A=\left\{n\in\mathbb{N}:n\geq m\right\}[/itex], then create another set [itex]\left(C=\left\{n\in\mathbb{N}\right\}\right)\Leftrightarrow (n+m-1\in A)[/itex]. Now since [itex]m[/itex] is the smallest number, and can be [itex]1[/itex] or bigger, [itex]m-1[/itex] will give a number [itex]\geq 0[/itex]. That number [itex]+n[/itex], must be a number [itex]>0[/itex] (at least [itex]1[/itex]). But I don't understand why it MUST BE [itex]1[/itex], because [itex]m[/itex] can be [itex]3[/itex]. ... And why does [itex]m\in B[/itex] means [itex]1\in C[/itex]? Is there an easier way, I really want to be able to do this alone, this is the first example after a series of easy questions like [itex]1+2+\dots+n=\frac{n}{2}(1+n)[/itex]... I'm sorry if I'm asking too much.

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove statements about natural numbers or other well-ordered sets. It is based on the principle that if a statement is true for the first natural number, and if it is also true for the next natural number assuming it is true for the previous one, then it is true for all subsequent natural numbers.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

The basic steps of mathematical induction are as follows:

1. Base Case: Prove that the statement is true for the first natural number, usually n = 1.

2. Inductive Hypothesis: Assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number k.

3. Inductive Step: Use the assumption from the inductive hypothesis to show that the statement is also true for the next natural number, k+1.

4. Conclusion: By the principle of mathematical induction, the statement is true for all natural numbers greater than or equal to the base case.

3. What types of statements can be proved using mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction can be used to prove statements about natural numbers, such as properties of sequences, sums, and products. It can also be used to prove statements about other well-ordered sets, such as integers, rational numbers, or even functions.

4. Are there any limitations to mathematical induction?

Yes, there are some limitations to mathematical induction. It can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements about real numbers or continuous sets. Additionally, it can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers greater than or equal to the base case, and it cannot be used to prove statements that are true for a finite number of natural numbers.

5. Can mathematical induction be used in reverse?

Yes, mathematical induction can also be used in reverse, known as "backward induction". Instead of starting with the base case and proving the statement for subsequent natural numbers, backward induction starts with the final case and works backwards to prove the statement for previous natural numbers. This method is often used in game theory and economics.