Proof of an inequality involving a series (probably by induction)

In summary, this problem seems to involve series, induction, and summing a bunch of terms. There is no clear solution, but any help would be appreciated.
zodian
[tex]u_{n} = \sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{n+\sqrt{k}}[/tex]
Proof that:
[tex]\frac{n}{n+\sqrt{n}} \leq u_{n} \leq \frac{n}{n+1} [/tex]

Ok, I've been working on that problem for about two hours now and I still don't have a clue how to proof this inequality.
I guess it should be done by induction, but I have problems with the series, because I don't know how I could possibly pass from n to n+1, since the variable n is on the denominator.
Perhaps there is a pretty easy solution to this problem, but any help would be welcome!
(I'm sorry that I don't post my attempts at a solution, but I have to much of them and I don't believe that there is anything really productive

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex] and how can you be sure it is greater than un?

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{n+1} = \frac{n}{n+1}[/tex]
[tex]n+\sqrt{k} \geq n+1[/tex] for every [itex]k\geq 1[/itex]
Thus [tex]\frac{1}{n+\sqrt{k}} \leq \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]
and [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{n+\sqrt{k}}\leq \sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

And nearly the same works for the other part of the inequality

So I guess I was totally mistaken with tryng to apply induction...
Well thanks anyway! :)

zodian said:
[tex]u_{n} = \sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{n+\sqrt{k}}[/tex]
Proof that:
[tex]\frac{n}{n+\sqrt{n}} \leq u_{n} \leq \frac{n}{n+1} [/tex]

Ok, I've been working on that problem for about two hours now and I still don't have a clue how to proof this inequality.
I guess it should be done by induction, but I have problems with the series, because I don't know how I could possibly pass from n to n+1, since the variable n is on the denominator.
Perhaps there is a pretty easy solution to this problem, but any help would be welcome!
(I'm sorry that I don't post my attempts at a solution, but I have to much of them and I don't believe that there is anything really productive

Thanks in advance :)

The word you want is "prove", not "proof". Anyway, if $$t_k =\frac{1}{n + \sqrt{k}},$$ can you find a simpler quantity ##u_k## that bounds ##t_k## from above and is easy to sum? That is, can you think of a bound ##t_k \leq u_k , ## where ##u_k## is easier to deal with? Can you do something similar for a lower bound ##l_k \leq t_k?##

RGV

Related to Proof of an inequality involving a series (probably by induction)

1. What is a proof of an inequality involving a series?

A proof of an inequality involving a series is a mathematical argument that shows a particular inequality is true for all possible values of the series. This type of proof often involves the use of mathematical induction to establish the truth of the inequality.

2. How does mathematical induction work in a proof of an inequality involving a series?

Mathematical induction is a method of proving that a statement is true for all possible values of a series. It involves two steps: a base case, where the statement is shown to be true for the first value of the series, and an inductive step, where the statement is shown to be true for the next value of the series assuming it is true for the previous value. By repeating the inductive step, the statement is proven to be true for all values of the series.

3. What are the key components of a proof of an inequality involving a series?

The key components of a proof of an inequality involving a series are the base case, the inductive step, and the conclusion. The base case establishes that the statement is true for the first value of the series, the inductive step shows that if the statement is true for one value of the series, it is true for the next value, and the conclusion states that the statement is true for all values of the series.

4. How do I know if my proof of an inequality involving a series is correct?

A proof of an inequality involving a series is considered correct if it follows the principles of mathematical induction and accurately shows that the statement is true for all possible values of the series. It should also be logically sound and free of any errors or inconsistencies.

5. Can a proof of an inequality involving a series be used to solve other mathematical problems?

Yes, a proof of an inequality involving a series can be a powerful tool in solving other mathematical problems. It demonstrates the validity of a statement and can be applied to similar problems involving series and inequalities. It can also be used as a building block in more complex mathematical proofs.