Proof of Chain Rule: Understanding Delta(u) & Delta(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the chain rule and the concept of delta(u) approaching 0 as delta(x) approaches 0. It is explained that this is necessary for the limit to exist and that this is due to the continuity of u.
pamparana
Hello everyone,

I was looking at the proof of chain rule as posted here:

http://web.mit.edu/wwmath/calculus/differentiation/chain-proof.html"

I am having trouble understanding why delta(u) tends to 0 as delta(x) tends to 0. Can someone point out to me why that is so?

Many thanks,

Luca

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because the limit [tex]\lim_{\Delta x \to 0} \frac {\Delta u}{\Delta x}[/tex] must exist by hypothesis, and the only way that can happen is if [tex]\Delta u[/tex] decreases as [tex]\Delta x[/tex] decreases. The limit doesn't need to be 1 because the rate that the denominator and numerator decrease can differ, but it does need to be finite. Think of what would happen if [tex]\Delta u[/tex] approached a nonzero number or diverged to infinity; the limit would also diverge or not exist.

Last edited:
pamparana said:
Hello everyone,

I was looking at the proof of chain rule as posted here:

http://web.mit.edu/wwmath/calculus/differentiation/chain-proof.html"

I am having trouble understanding why delta(u) tends to 0 as delta(x) tends to 0. Can someone point out to me why that is so?

Many thanks,

Luca

u is continuous (at at least one point, the point where it is differentiable), which means
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} u(x) = u(a)[/tex]
for all constants 'a' at which u is continuous which is equivalent to your statement (u(x) approaches u(a) as x approaches a).
Expanding the deltas in your limit we have the statement
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0} \frac{u(x) - u(x_0)}{x - x_0}[/tex]
where a = x0.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Proof of Chain Rule: Understanding Delta(u) & Delta(x)

1. What is the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical concept that helps us calculate the derivative of a composite function. It states that when a function is composed of two or more functions, we can find its derivative by multiplying the derivatives of each individual function.

2. How does the Chain Rule relate to Delta(u) and Delta(x)?

The Chain Rule is used to calculate the change in output (Delta(u)) of a function that is composed of two or more functions, when there is a change in the input (Delta(x)). Delta(u) and Delta(x) are essentially the same as the derivative of the composite function and the derivative of the individual function, respectively.

3. Why is understanding Delta(u) and Delta(x) important in the Proof of Chain Rule?

Understanding Delta(u) and Delta(x) is crucial in the Proof of Chain Rule because it helps us understand how the change in input affects the change in output of a composite function. This is the basis of the Chain Rule and without a clear understanding of Delta(u) and Delta(x), it would be difficult to grasp the concept.

4. Can you provide an example of how Delta(u) and Delta(x) are used in the Proof of Chain Rule?

Sure, let's say we have a composite function f(x) = g(h(x)), where g(x) = 3x and h(x) = x^2. We want to find the derivative of f(x). Using the Chain Rule, we would first find the derivative of g(x) and h(x) individually, which are 3 and 2x, respectively. Then, we would multiply these derivatives to get 6x. This is equivalent to Delta(u), the change in output. Delta(x) in this case would be the change in input, which is represented by the derivative of h(x).

5. How can I use the Proof of Chain Rule in real-world applications?

The Proof of Chain Rule is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, and economics. It is especially useful in situations where a complex system can be represented by a composite function. For example, in physics, the position of an object can be represented by a composite function of velocity and time. The Chain Rule allows us to calculate the change in position when there is a change in velocity or time.