Proof of dimension of the tangent space

In summary, Wald's picture proves that the tangent space of an n-dimensional manifold is also n-dimensional.
hideelo
I am attaching a picture of a proof from the book "general relativity" by wald. This is supposed to show that the tangent space of an n dimensional manifold is also n dimensional. I have two questions.

In equation 2.2.3 couldn't the function be anything at a since the (x-a) term is 0?

How is the equality in equation 2.2.5 justified, I'm just not seeing it

Attachments

• 1432214740404.jpg
    1432214740404.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 540
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I cannot read the picture attached. Can't you just type it?

It's hard to write them out on my phone, so I'll try another picture

Attachments

• 1432215051307.jpg
    1432215051307.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 509
  • 1432215072484.jpg
    1432215072484.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 544
Is that better?

No, it has to be exacly as written. Otherwise 2.2.2. will not be true.

I'm assuming 2.2.2 follows from the gradient theorem, in which case 2.2.3 should really be an integral, otherwise it's not an equality but the linear approximation.

A proof very similar to Wald's is included in Isham. Start reading on page 79. The proof is on pages 82-84.

Last time I discussed this proof with someone, I posted my version of it. It's in post #14 here.

hideelo said:
In equation 2.2.3 couldn't the function be anything at a since the (x-a) term is 0?
The theorem says that the function is smooth, i.e. differentiable an arbitrary number of times. Differentiable functions are continuous. The value of a continuous function at a specific point in its domain is completely determined by its values in the rest of its domain. For example, if ##f:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R## is continuous then ##f(0)=\lim_{n\to\infty}f\big(\frac 1 n\big)##.

hideelo said:
How is the equality in equation 2.2.5 justified, I'm just not seeing it
Assuming that you meant the last equality, this is how:

First term: f(p) is a constant function (the map that takes an arbitrary q to f(p)), so v(f(p))=0.

Second term: The sum is of the form ##\sum_\mu (A_\mu-A_\mu)B_\mu## so every term is zero.

Third term: For all smooth functions f and all constant functions g, we have v(f-g)=v(f)-v(g)=v(f).

an n manifold is by definition locally isomorphic (i.e. diffeomorphic)) to R^n, hence (by chain rule) each tangent space is isomorphic to the tangent space to R^n at the image point. Do you know that R^n is the tangent space to R^n at each point? That would do it.

1. What is the concept of dimension in the context of tangent spaces?

The dimension of a tangent space is the number of independent directions in which a curve or surface can be moved. It represents the number of degrees of freedom of the curve or surface at a given point.

2. How is the dimension of a tangent space related to the dimension of the underlying space?

The dimension of a tangent space is always less than or equal to the dimension of the underlying space. For example, the dimension of the tangent space of a curve in a 3-dimensional space is 2, and the dimension of the tangent space of a surface in a 3-dimensional space is 3.

3. How is the dimension of a tangent space determined?

The dimension of a tangent space is determined by the number of independent vectors that span the space. These vectors are called tangent vectors and are typically obtained by taking derivatives of a curve or surface at a given point.

4. Can the dimension of a tangent space change at different points on a curve or surface?

Yes, the dimension of a tangent space can vary at different points on a curve or surface. This is because the number of independent directions in which the curve or surface can be moved may change depending on the curvature and shape of the curve or surface at that point.

5. What is the significance of the dimension of a tangent space in geometry and physics?

The dimension of a tangent space is an important concept in both geometry and physics. In geometry, it helps us understand the local behavior of curves and surfaces. In physics, it is used to calculate quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force in relation to a curve or surface at a given point.