Proof of equivalence between nabla form and integral form of Divergence

In summary, the divergence theorem states that the variation of a vector field around a point is the sum of the variation at all points within a sphere of radius centered at the point, and the variation at all points within a volume of that sphere.
The_Logos
Does anybody knows how you can reach one form of the divergence formula from the other? Or in general, why is the equivalence
3d6d3c3e068d3ce679fa3391149e3a84.png
true?

Physics news on Phys.org
The_Logos said:
Does anybody knows how you can reach one form of the divergence formula from the other? Or in general, why is the equivalence
3d6d3c3e068d3ce679fa3391149e3a84.png
true?
The formula is a direct consequence of Gauss' divergence theorem. You may look at the things in the following manner.
Suppose p is a point in 3D Euclidean space. Let Er be a solid ball centered at p with radius r , and let Sr be the boundary surface of Er with outward pointing normal (and F is the vector field). Using Gauss' theorem we have:

_{r}}\cdot%20\!%20\underset{\!%20\!%20S_{r}}{\int%20\!%20\!%20\int%20}%20\vec{F}\cdot%20d\vec{S}.gif

This aproximation improves as radius gets smaller, and in the limit (for r → 0 ⇒ Vr → 0) the equality holds.
Hope this helps.

Likes DanielG00
mathman said:

Wikipedia was one of my first reference (as always) but the equivalence is merely stated, but not demonstrated.

zoki85 said:
The formula is a direct consequence of Gauss' divergence theorem. You may look at the things in the following manner.
Suppose p is a point in 3D Euclidean space. Let Er be a solid ball centered at p with radius r , and let Sr be the boundary surface of Er with outward pointing normal (and F is the vector field). Using Gauss' theorem we have:

_{r}}\cdot%20\!%20\underset{\!%20\!%20S_{r}}{\int%20\!%20\!%20\int%20}%20\vec{F}\cdot%20d\vec{S}.gif

This aproximation improves as radius gets smaller, and in the limit (for r → 0 ⇒ Vr → 0) the equality holds.
Hope this helps.

That is just beautiful! you should just go ahead and take my user name, you are definitely more the logos than me! I wasted all day trying to make linear transformations thinking that it was my only hope (And managed nothing).
I actually was seeking for the proof of the equivalence before giving deep thought to the divergence theorem, just to find out that ironically I needed it to prove what apparently came before!.
I'm starting to think that the main issue here is that this kind of differential equations where invented much later than their integral equivalent, maybe I should start taking into consideration the historical order of invention?

Anyways, thanks a lot zoki85!

However, I must say that this leads me to another question. While the equivalence of the divergence theorem seem logical on itself (summing all the "lines" that flow trough the surface is going to give us the total flux variation on the surface, and at the same time summing the variations at all points of the volume will give us the total variation too. ) and therefore more acceptable (with "verbal" logic on the previous equivalence I got to very similar "concepts" but didn't quite seemed the same on my mind, that's why I reached out for a more formal proof) the same question inevitably rises, ¿Is there a formal proof of this equivalence? (without of course, falling on a circular logic with the previous equivalence, which would led us to establish one of the two equivalence as a "axiom", which I want to avoid).

Last edited:
The_Logos said:
That is just beautiful! you should just go ahead and take my user name, you are definitely more the logos than me! I wasted all day trying to make linear transformations thinking that it was my only hope (And managed nothing).
I actually was seeking for the proof of the equivalence before giving deep thought to the divergence theorem, just to find out that ironically I needed it to prove what apparently came before!.
Meh, my "logos" is quite irrational in everyday life, so I don't think that user name would suit me fine. And, althought short, this is kind of a sloppy proof. It's more a demonstration by Gauss' D.T. why it holds true. I guess a pro-mathematcian should feel a need to "polish" it, to write more rigouros proof. I agree there must be other ways to prove the formula (without G.D.T.) but I didn't try it.

Cheers

Related to Proof of equivalence between nabla form and integral form of Divergence

1. What is the nabla form of Divergence?

The nabla form of Divergence is a mathematical representation of the flux of a vector field through a small surface surrounding a given point. It is denoted by the symbol ∇⋅ and is also known as the "del dot" operator.

2. What is the integral form of Divergence?

The integral form of Divergence is a way to calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface by integrating the divergence of the field over the surface. It is represented by the integral symbol ∫ and is also known as Gauss's Theorem or the Divergence Theorem.

3. How are the nabla form and integral form of Divergence related?

The two forms of Divergence are equivalent, meaning they convey the same information and can be transformed into each other using mathematical operations. This equivalence is known as the Proof of Equivalence between nabla form and integral form of Divergence.

4. What is the significance of the Proof of Equivalence between nabla form and integral form of Divergence?

The Proof of Equivalence between nabla form and integral form of Divergence is important because it allows us to use either form to solve problems in physics and engineering. It also demonstrates the fundamental relationship between the concepts of flux and divergence in vector calculus.

5. How is the Proof of Equivalence between nabla form and integral form of Divergence derived?

The Proof of Equivalence between nabla form and integral form of Divergence is derived using mathematical techniques, such as the Divergence Theorem and vector identities, to transform one form into the other. The proof is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus and the definition of divergence.