Proof of Green Theorem in Apostol's Analysis

In summary, the person is asking for assistance with a question about Green's theorem proof in Apostol's Mathematical Analysis. They are having trouble justifying an equation in the proof and are unsure how to find the parametric intervals corresponding to two new contours created by crossing the original contour with a line segment. They are trying to parametrize the contours in a certain way, but have doubts about this tactic. They are seeking assistance and have been stuck on this for a few weeks.
kellypedro
Hello guys,

I got a question about one point in the Green's theorem proof that appears in Apostol's Mathematical Analysis, first edition, Ed. Addison Wesley. More exactly, in the theorem 10-42, immediately previous (and essential) to Green's (p. 287-289). Please, if this is too involved or boring, tell me where I can look for assistance. I am studynb analysis by myself.

(Sorry for the clumsy redaction, I am not the better in english).

Well, Apostol has a contour denoted by the greek letter "gamma", described by a function "alpha", which has its component functions, "gamma 1" and "gamma 2", all of them defined in [a,b] as parametric interval.

At certain point (which is irrelevant for the purpose of my question) Apostol crosses horizontally the contour with a line segment L. This of course produces two new contours, "gamma one" and "gamma two". Be aware that each of these new contours is NOT only an arc of the mother-contour "gamma", because they have a line side that the mother-contour does not: it is L.

In p. 289 Apostol puts this equation:

Total variation of real function "alpha 2" on the parametric interval of gamma (which as I said is [a, b]) =

Total variation or real function "alpha 2" in the parametric interval of gamma 1, plus
Total variation or real function "alpha 2" in the parametric interval of gamma 2."

This is my problem: I can not find a way to justify this equation. (For Apostol it may be obvious, because he doesn't prove it). It is not easy to find the parametric intervals corresponding to contours gamma 1 and gamma 2. Remember that these two are not merely arcs of "mother-contour" gamma: gamma 1 and gamma 2 include also a line segment. For that reason I can not simply take a number from [a, b] (say "c"), state that [a, c] corresponds to contour gamma 1, [c. b] to contour gamma 2, and apply theorem 8.11 (sum of total variations).

What I am trying to do? Well, I am parametrizing contour gamma 1 this way: a function for its curvilinear section (which is part of contour gamma), another function for its line segment section, and then I concatenate (join) both of them in a single parametrization. I am doing the same for contour gamma 2.

But I have doubts about this tactic because I have to assume that certain points in the mother contour gamma corresponds to several images of the range of function alpha 2. An undesirable restriction.

Please, if you have not enough time to answer, just tell me where I can find assistance. I am blocked in this at least 2 weeks ago. Thanks.

pedro

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a mistake in my post, in the third paragraph. It says:

Well, Apostol has a contour denoted by the greek letter "gamma", described by a function "alpha", which has its component functions, "gamma 1" and "gamma 2", all of them defined in [a,b] as parametric interval.

That "gamm 1" and "gamma 2" do not go there (the gammas are the contour, not the parametric functions). It should say:

Well, Apostol has a contour denoted by the greek letter "gamma", described by a function "alpha", which has its component functions, "alpha 1" and "alpha 2", all of them defined in [a,b] as parametric interval.

May someone give me some hints?

kellypedro said:
Hello guys,

I got a question about one point in the Green's theorem proof that appears in Apostol's Mathematical Analysis, first edition, Ed. Addison Wesley. More exactly, in the theorem 10-42, immediately previous (and essential) to Green's (p. 287-289). Please, if this is too involved or boring, tell me where I can look for assistance. I am studynb analysis by myself.

(Sorry for the clumsy redaction, I am not the better in english).

At certain point (which is irrelevant for the purpose of my question) Apostol crosses horizontally the contour with a line segment L. This of course produces two new contours, "gamma one" and "gamma two". Be aware that each of these new contours is NOT only an arc of the mother-contour "gamma", because they have a line side that the mother-contour does not: it is L.

In p. 289 Apostol puts this equation:

Total variation of real function "alpha 2" on the parametric interval of gamma (which as I said is [a, b]) =

Total variation or real function "alpha 2" in the parametric interval of gamma 1, plus
Total variation or real function "alpha 2" in the parametric interval of gamma 2."

This is my problem: I can not find a way to justify this equation. (For Apostol it may be obvious, because he doesn't prove it). It is not easy to find the parametric intervals corresponding to contours gamma 1 and gamma 2. Remember that these two are not merely arcs of "mother-contour" gamma: gamma 1 and gamma 2 include also a line segment. For that reason I can not simply take a number from [a, b] (say "c"), state that [a, c] corresponds to contour gamma 1, [c. b] to contour gamma 2, and apply theorem 8.11 (sum of total variations).

What I am trying to do? Well, I am parametrizing contour gamma 1 this way: a function for its curvilinear section (which is part of contour gamma), another function for its line segment section, and then I concatenate (join) both of them in a single parametrization. I am doing the same for contour gamma 2.

But I have doubts about this tactic because I have to assume that certain points in the mother contour gamma corresponds to several images of the range of function alpha 2. An undesirable restriction.

Please, if you have not enough time to answer, just tell me where I can find assistance. I am blocked in this at least 2 weeks ago. Thanks.

pedro

Just to save time of potential helpers - the same question was posted in different forums as well and it was answered in mathhelpforum.
(I think this should have been done by the OP.)
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=green+theorem+apostol+kellypedro
http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-h...41616-proof-greens-theorem-apostols-book.html
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2690748
http://www.mymathforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13667
http://www.mymathforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13667

Related to Proof of Green Theorem in Apostol's Analysis

What is the Green Theorem in Apostol's Analysis?

The Green Theorem, also known as the Green's Theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to the double integral of the same vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.

What is the purpose of the Green Theorem in Apostol's Analysis?

The Green Theorem is used to solve problems involving the calculation of line integrals and area integrals in the two-dimensional space. It also forms the basis for other important theorems in vector calculus, such as Stokes' Theorem and the Divergence Theorem.

What is the proof of the Green Theorem in Apostol's Analysis?

The proof of the Green Theorem involves breaking the given region into small rectangles and using the properties of double integrals to show that the line integral over the boundary of the region is equal to the double integral over the region. This is done by using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and properties of partial derivatives.

What are the assumptions made in the Green Theorem in Apostol's Analysis?

The Green Theorem assumes that the given vector field is continuously differentiable and that the region over which the double integral is calculated is simply connected, meaning that any closed curve within the region can be continuously shrunk to a point without leaving the region. These assumptions ensure the validity of the theorem.

How is the Green Theorem applied in real-world problems?

The Green Theorem is widely used in physics, engineering, and other fields to calculate work done by a force or flow of a fluid, as well as to find the area of a region in the presence of a vector field. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, among other applications.