Proof that all information can be coded in binary?

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "A Book of Abstract Algebra" and its connection to computer science and controls. The book states that all information can be coded into binary words, and there is a discussion on whether or not this statement can be formally proven. It is suggested that one would first need to define the concept of "information", and it is noted that it is impossible to encode all information due to limitations on measuring and storing data.
jack476
I just got Pinter's book, "A Book of Abstract Algebra", for the modern algebra course that I'm taking. It's a very nice book, I'm enjoying reading through it so far.

What's especially interesting is the connections to computer science and controls, mostly because I switched to math and physics out of electrical engineering. Anyway, in its introduction chapter on groups, it makes the following statement:

Groups in Binary Codes
The most basic way of transmitting information is to code it into strings of 0s and 1s, such as 0010111, 1010011, etc. Such strings are called binary words, and the number of 0s and 1s in any binary word is called its length. All information may be coded in this fashion.

(Emphasis mine).

Out of curiosity, I am wondering if there exists a proof of this statement, that is, that any and every single piece of information in the universe, of arbitrary complexity and abstraction, could be encoded as a string of binary digits, assuming one could access that information and had a storage device large enough.

Intuitively, I would say that it's obvious, a piece of information can be stored in every digit and in theory we can always increase the information capacity by adding digits, but I'm wondering if a rigorous proof exists.

(Note: I put this in the abstract algebra section because it came up in an abstract algebra textbook, I will understand if the mods feel it is more appropriate in the computer science section).

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to prove it, first you'd have to define "information".

I think the statement is intended to convey that "information of any type may be coded in this fashion", or more rigorously "finite information of any type may be represented by a finite binary string", rather than "the set of all sets of information..."

You can't even measure the position and velocity of every proton in a drop of water, let alone encode it.

You could, for example, use Godel numbering to assign a number to every symbol, letter, or formula used in stating the "information", then write that number in binary notation.

1. How does binary code work?

Binary code is a system of representing information using only two digits: 0 and 1. These digits are called "bits" and can be thought of as switches that are either on (1) or off (0). By combining these bits in different sequences, we can represent any type of information, such as numbers, letters, and symbols.

2. Why is binary code used for computers?

Binary code is used for computers because it is a simple and efficient way to represent and process information. Computers use electronic circuits that can be turned on or off to represent the 0s and 1s of binary code. This makes it easy for computers to process and store large amounts of data quickly and accurately.

3. Can all information be represented in binary code?

Yes, all information can be represented in binary code. This is because binary code is a universal system that can represent any type of data, including text, images, videos, and sound. By breaking down information into binary code, we can store and transmit it in a more compact and efficient way.

4. How do computers translate binary code into readable information?

Computers use a process called "binary translation" to convert binary code into readable information. This involves converting the 0s and 1s of binary code into computer code, which is then interpreted by the computer's processor and displayed on the screen. This process happens incredibly quickly, allowing us to see images, videos, and text on our screens.

5. Are there any limitations to using binary code?

While binary code is an incredibly powerful and versatile system, it does have its limitations. For example, it can be difficult for humans to read and interpret large sequences of 0s and 1s without the help of a computer. Additionally, some types of information, such as emotions and feelings, cannot be accurately represented in binary code.