Proofing Theorems with Axioms: Help Answer One!

• MHB
  • Thread starter mermaid87
  • Start date
In summary, an expert summarizer would say that the person is trying to prove three theorems using axioms of equality and field axioms. They are having difficulty doing so and would appreciate any help that is offered.
mermaid87
i've been trying to prove these theorems using axioms (axioms of equality + field axioms) can anybody help me?

1. -(-a) = a
2. (-a)b = -(ab); (-1)b = -b
3. (-a)(-b) = ab
4. -(a + b) = -a + (-b)
5. If a is not 0, then 1 over 1/a = a
6. If a, b is not 0, then 1/ab = 1/a · 1/b
7. If a is not 0 and a · x = b, then x = b/a
8. a/1 = a
9. If a is not 0, then a/a = 1
10. If a, c is not 0, then b/a · d/c = bd/ac and b·c/a·c = b/a

an example of a proof would be:
Prove: a · 0 = 0

0 + 0 = 0 -- identity of axiom for multiplication
(0+0)a = 0 · a -- multiplication property of equality
a · 0 + a · 0 = a · 0 -- distributive axiom for multiplication over addition
a · 0 + a · 0 = a · 0 + 0 -- identity axiom for addition
a · 0 = 0 -- cancellation law for addition

- - - Updated - - -

help answer even just one pls :(

- - - Updated - - -

help answer even just one pls :(

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi mermaid and welcome to MHB!

Here's how I would do 1.

The definition of -x is that it satisfies the condition -x + x = 0. Apply that definition to x=-a:

-(-a) + (-a) = 0 -- definition of -(-a)
(-(-a) + (-a)) + a = a -- additive property of equality
-(-a) + ((-a) + a) = a -- associative property of addition
-(-a) + 0 = a -- definition of -a
-(-a) = a -- additive axiom for 0

Opalg said:
Hi mermaid and welcome to MHB!

Here's how I would do 1.

The definition of -x is that it satisfies the condition -x + x = 0. Apply that definition to x=-a:

-(-a) + (-a) = 0 -- definition of -(-a)
(-(-a) + (-a)) + a = a -- additive property of equality
-(-a) + ((-a) + a) = a -- associative property of addition
-(-a) + 0 = a -- definition of -a
-(-a) = a -- additive axiom for 0

hello and thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

if anybody could help me with the rest of the numbers, that would be wonderful :-)

mermaid87 said:
if anybody could help me with the rest of the numbers, that would be wonderful :-)
We're not a problem-answering service here! Our aim to to help you to work things out for yourself. So you need to do some of the work now.

For the first part of 2., start by writing down the definition of -a. Then multiply that equation on both sides by b and see where that leads you.

Opalg said:
We're not a problem-answering service here! Our aim to to help you to work things out for yourself. So you need to do some of the work now.

For the first part of 2., start by writing down the definition of -a. Then multiply that equation on both sides by b and see where that leads you.

sorry :-( so i'll start with

(-a) + a = 0 -- definition of -a
(-a + a) b = 0 x b -- multiplication property of equality
-ab + ab = 0 x b -- distributive axiom of multiplication over addition ?

mermaid87 said:
so i'll start with

(-a) + a = 0 -- definition of -a
(-a + a) b = 0 x b -- multiplication property of equality
-ab + ab = 0 x b -- distributive axiom of multiplication over addition ?
Good start. The next step is to quote the example proof in your first post, which tells you that 0 · b = b · 0 = 0.

Opalg said:
Good start. The next step is to quote the example proof in your first post, which tells you that 0 · b = b · 0 = 0.

ok so (-a + a) · b = 0 · b is going to be 0 · b = 0 · b using the definition of -a?

i'm stuck :-(

Opalg said:
The next step is to quote the example proof in your first post, which tells you that 0 · b = b · 0 = 0.

mermaid87 said:
ok so (-a + a) · b = 0 · b is going to be 0 · b = 0 · b using the definition of -a?
Previously, you have showed that $(-a)b+ab=0\cdot b$. According to Opalg's advice, $0\cdot b=0$, so $(-a)b+ab=0$. Now, as in elementary arithmetic, add $-(ab)$ to both sides and rearrange the left-hand side using associativity and the property of additive inverse to get $(-a)b=-(ab)$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Previously, you have showed that $(-a)b+ab=0\cdot b$. According to Opalg's advice, $0\cdot b=0$, so $(-a)b+ab=0$. Now, as in elementary arithmetic, add $-(ab)$ to both sides and rearrange the left-hand side using associativity and the property of additive inverse to get $(-a)b=-(ab)$.

i got it thank you!

i need help on the one with fractions tho :/

if a is not equal to 0, then 1 over 1/a = a
if a,b are not equal to 0, then 1/ab = 1/a · 1/b
if a is not equal to 0, then a/a = 1
if a,c are not equal to b/a · d/c = bd/ac and b·c/a·c = b/a

if i could get at least one of these, maybe i could figure out the rest? :/

mermaid87 said:
A primitive operation is multiplicative inverse: the inverse of $a$ is denoted by $a^{-1}$, and the defining property of this operation is $a\cdot a^{-1}=a^{-1}\cdot a=1$. Division is defined in terms of inverse: $a/b\overset{\text{def}}{=}a\cdot b^{-1}$. Using this definition, $1/a$=$1\cdot a^{-1}$, but using the axiom that $1\cdot b=b\cdot 1=b$ for all $b$ we get $1/a=a^{-1}$. These are just preliminary remarks.

So you need to show $\left(a^{-1}\right)^{-1}=a$. This is a multiplicative analog of $-(-a)=a$, which is already solved, and the proof is quite similar. Just replace additive inverse $-$ with multiplicative inverse $(\cdot)^{-1}$, additive unit $0$ with multiplicative unit $1$ and addition with multiplication.

mermaid87 said:
i got it thank you!

i need help on the one with fractions tho :/

if a,b are not equal to 0, then 1/ab = 1/a · 1/b
if a is not equal to 0, then a/a = 1
if a,c are not equal to b/a · d/c = bd/ac and b·c/a·c = b/a

if i could get at least one of these, maybe i could figure out the rest? :/

So what you want to prove is:

$\dfrac{1}{\left(\dfrac{1}{a}\right)} = a$.

First, ask yourself: what does $\dfrac{1}{a}$ even mean?

What I am trying to get you to see here, is that $\dfrac{1}{a}$ serves the same role in multiplication as $-a$ does in addition:

In addition we have:

$a + -a = 0$

in other words:

something (operation) anti-something = operation identity.

In addition, the "anti-something" for $a$ is $-a$. That is, it is some other number $b$ for which:

$a + b = 0$, where $0$ is the IDENTITY for addtion. What do we mean by "identity"? It leaves the "something" ($a$) unchanged when we add it:

$a + 0 = a$.

Now if we "change the operation" from adding to multiplying, we have a different "anti-something" called:

$\dfrac{1}{a}$ (or sometimes, the multiplicative INVERSE for $a$).

We also have a "different identity" (the thing that "does nothing" when we multiply by it), $1$:

$a \cdot 1 = a$.

So $\dfrac{1}{a}$ is some number $b$ such that: $a\cdot b = 1$.

For this $b$ (that is to say, for $\dfrac{1}{a}$), we want to show that $\dfrac{1}{b} = a$.

This is exactly parallel to showing that $-(-a) = a$, but using multiplication, instead of adding.

One small caveat: why do we insist that $a \neq 0$?

Well suppose $a = 0$. If we try to find some number $b$ such that $0\cdot b = 1$, we have (from your earlier work):

$0 = 0\cdot b = 1$, which is clearly nonsense (if $0 = 1$, then that makes ALL the numbers 0, which isn't very interesting, because we can easily imagine non-zero quantities of stuff).

What I would do is multiply:

$\dfrac{1}{a}$ and $\dfrac{1}{\left(\dfrac{1}{a}\right)}$ together (it may be conceptually easier to do this by letting (this is called "substitution"):

$b = \dfrac{1}{a}$ and using one of the axioms (rules) you already know.

This will give you an equation, which you can then mulitply both sides of by $a$.

1. What is the purpose of using axioms in proofing theorems?

The purpose of using axioms in proofing theorems is to establish a set of basic, self-evident statements that serve as the foundation for all mathematical reasoning. These axioms are used as starting points for proving theorems, which are more complex statements that are derived from the axioms through logical reasoning.

2. How do you know if an axiom is true?

An axiom is considered to be true if it is consistent with our observations and intuition. Axioms are also carefully chosen to be self-evident and not in conflict with other established axioms. However, the truth of an axiom cannot be proven or disproven, as they are accepted as starting points for mathematical reasoning.

3. Can you use any set of axioms to prove a theorem?

In general, there are many different sets of axioms that can be used to prove a theorem. However, the choice of axioms can greatly affect the difficulty and complexity of the proof. Some sets of axioms may not be powerful enough to prove certain theorems, while others may be too complex and convoluted. Therefore, it is important to carefully choose the appropriate set of axioms for a given theorem.

4. How can you determine if a proof using axioms is valid?

A proof using axioms is considered valid if it follows the rules of logic and reasoning and if each step is clearly justified. This involves carefully examining each step of the proof to ensure that it is logically sound and that it follows from the previous steps. Additionally, the validity of a proof can be checked by other mathematicians who can review and verify the steps taken in the proof.

5. Are axioms always necessary in proofing theorems?

Axioms are not always necessary in proofing theorems. Some theorems may be proven without the use of axioms, using only previously proven theorems and definitions. However, axioms are important in establishing a solid foundation for mathematical reasoning and are commonly used in proofing theorems.