Proofs with epsilon delta (real analysis)

In summary: Rightarrow |f(x)-f(y)|<\epsilon\forall \epsilon \exists \delta: x < \delta \Rightarrow f(x) < \epsilon
Wingeer
Hello,
I have stumbled upon a couple of proofs, but I can not seem to get an intuitive grasp on the what's and the whys in the steps of the proofs. Strictly logical I think I get it. Enough talk however.
Number 1.
"Let f be a continuous function on the real numbers. Then the set {x in R : f(x)>c} is open for any c in R.
Proof:
Let:
[tex]E_c = \{x \in \mathbf{R}:f(x)>c \}.[/tex]
Assume that x is in E sub c, we have f(x)>c since f is continuous at x there exists delta such that:
[tex] |f(x) - f(y)|<f(x)-c[/tex]
whenever
[tex] |x-y|< \delta.[/tex]
For such y we have:
[tex]f(y) \ge f(x) - |f(x) - f(y)| > f(x) - (f(x) - c)=c[/tex]
and y is in E sub c. We have shown that
[tex](x- \delta, x + \delta) \subset E_c[/tex] and there the set is open."

I get why the set is open and the algebra in the previous step. However I am wondering: Are we kind of setting f(x)-c as our epsilon? And to get to the second last line, are we using some kind of triangle inequality?

"Let f be a function on X, for each positive delta we define:
[tex]\omega_{f,X}(\delta)= sup \{|f(x) - f(y)|: x,y \in X, |x-y|<\delta \}.[/tex]
f is uniformly continuous on X (1) if and only if [tex]lim_{\delta \to 0} \omega_{f,X}(\delta)=0. (2)[/tex]
Proof:
By definition, f is uniformly continuous on X if for any epsilon greater than zero there exists [tex]\delta(\epsilon)>0[/tex] such that [tex]\omega_{f,X}(\delta(\epsilon))<\epsilon.[/tex]
Now, assume (2). Then for any epsilon greater than zero there exists [tex]\delta(\epsilon)>0[/tex] such that [tex]\omega_{f,X}(\delta(\epsilon))<\epsilon[/tex] and f is uniformly continuous.
Assume (1). Then for any epsilon greater than zero there exists [tex]\delta(\epsilon)>0[/tex] such that [tex]\omega_{f,X}(\delta(\epsilon))<\epsilon.[/tex]
Clearly, omega is greater than or equal to zero and non-increasing. We have:
[tex]\omega_{f,X}(\delta)<\epsilon[/tex]
for any [tex]\delta \le \delta(\epsilon)[/tex] and [tex]lim_{\delta \to 0} \omega_{f,X}(\delta)=0[/tex] which we were supposed to prove."

I get a bit confused about the delta functions. What does those mean? In proving (2)=>(1) how can we "guarantee" that there exists such deltas?
In the last step of (1)=>(2), since it is non-increasing, should there not be [tex]\omega_{f,X}(\delta) \le \epsilon[/tex], since [tex]\delta \le \delta(\epsilon).[/tex]
Or am I missing a point along the way?
Thanks.

Edit:
Why can't I have LaTeX coding and regular text in the same paragraph? It looks horribly messy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll start with 1.
It's indeed a tricky exercise, because delta becomes epsilon, which might be very confusing. However, you should always write down what you know first. Since f is continuous, you have
[tex]\forall \epsilon\exists \delta: |x-y|<\delta\Rightarrow |f(x)-f(y)|<\epsilon [/tex]
And you want to prove that [itex]E_c[/itex] is open, which means
[tex]\exists \epsilon: |x-y|<\epsilon\Rightarrow f(y) \in E_c[/tex]
which means that [itex]f(y)>c[/itex]
Now you choose as [itex]\epsilon[/itex] from the FIRST equation [itex]\epsilon=f(x)-c[/itex]
This gives you a [itex]\delta[/itex] such that
[tex]|x-y|<\delta\Rightarrow |f(x)-f(y)|<f(x)-c[/tex]
So, as you see, [itex]\delta[/itex] becomes [itex]\epsilon[/itex] or vice versa, however you want to put it. Now, to finish the deal, you do a case-by-case analysis. In case that [itex]f(x)>f(y)[/itex] you get
[tex]c<f(x)-f(x)+f(y)=f(y)[/tex]
In case that [itex]f(y)>f(x)[/itex] you're done already since [itex]f(x)>c[/itex] by assumption.

Aha. I think I see. The difference in this from other proofs is that instead of finding a delta so that the conditional is true, we are actually finding an epsilon. If that is what you meant by delta becoming epsilon? And since the function is continuous we are allowed to choose which value for epsilon we want, because we are guaranteed that there exists a delta "corresponding" to it?
The case-by-case analysis is actually way easier than fooling around with some reversed triangle inequality, or whatever. Thank you! Could you do the second as well? :-)

To answer your first question "why is there such a delta": It's the definition of the limit.
Limit means that for every epsilon you can find a delta such that for all x<delta you get f(x)<epsilon (assuming the limit is 0 with x->0).
This exercise is a piece of cake if you write down the definition of the limit and uniformly continuity.
uniformly continuity means that
[tex]\forall \epsilon \exists \delta: |x-y|<\delta\Rightarrow|f(x)-f(y)|<\epsilon[/tex]
[itex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x)=0[/itex] means
[tex]\forall \epsilon \exists \delta: x < \delta \Rightarrow f(x) < \epsilon [/tex]
now take [itex] \omega_{f,X}(\delta)[/itex] and you've got it basically written there. Keep in mind that if [itex]|f(x)-f(y)|<\epsilon[/itex] it follows that [itex]\sup\{|f(x)-f(y)|\}\leq\epsilon[/itex]

Yes, it is the definition. But don't we have to prove that the function will be less than epsilon?
In this and your last post there is no difference in your definition of continuity and uniform continuity. However I know the difference, so it is no harm.
If you take the function with input delta, you get that delta>delta?

1. What is the definition of epsilon delta in real analysis?

Epsilon delta is a method used to formally define limits in real analysis. It involves using two variables, epsilon (ε) and delta (δ), to establish a relationship between a limit and its corresponding function. Epsilon represents a small positive number, while delta represents a small interval around the limit point.

2. Why is the epsilon delta method important in real analysis?

The epsilon delta method is important because it allows us to rigorously define limits and continuity in real analysis. It provides a precise way to characterize the behavior of a function at a given point and is essential for understanding many fundamental concepts in calculus and analysis.

3. How do you use the epsilon delta method to prove a limit?

To prove a limit using the epsilon delta method, you must show that for any epsilon value, there exists a corresponding delta value that satisfies the definition of the limit. This involves manipulating the definition of the limit and using algebraic techniques to find an appropriate delta value.

4. What are some common challenges when using the epsilon delta method?

One common challenge when using the epsilon delta method is determining the appropriate delta value for a given epsilon. This often involves solving algebraic inequalities, which can be difficult. Another challenge is understanding the logic behind the method and how to apply it effectively.

5. How can one improve their skills in using the epsilon delta method?

To improve your skills in using the epsilon delta method, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and understanding the underlying concepts. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to further your understanding and ability to apply the method.