Propeller blade lift distribution for best thrust/power ratio?

In summary, the ideal lift distribution for a propeller blade to achieve the best thrust/power ratio is one with minimum drag, as drag is related to torque and torque multiplied by RPM equals power. The specific type and size of propeller blade will vary depending on the desired thrust and the range of altitudes and airspeeds. While many modern propellers are designed to be optimal for a range of parameters, there is no single formula or curve for the best lift distribution. A thorough understanding of propeller design is necessary to determine the most effective lift distribution.
John Mcrain
What is ideal lift distribution for propeller blade to get best thrust/power ratio?

To do this blade must has minimum drag, because drag releted to torque,and torque x RPM= power..

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question. What kind of propeller blade? (helicopter, low-speed personal aircraft, high-speed turboprop, etc.) What size of propeller? Over what range of altitudes and airspeeds?

I would assume that every modern propeller made by propeller companies is optimal for the range of parameters specified. But they are not all alike.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
berkeman said:
Good question. What kind of propeller blade? (helicopter, low-speed personal aircraft, high-speed turboprop, etc.) What size of propeller? Over what range of altitudes and airspeeds?
low speed propeller,let say at 150km/h...

Size depends on how much thrust do I need, but it is irrelevant for my question because I ask in general for best lift distribution..

There is no single answer. You are asking for a formula or a curve when what you need is a textbook on propeller design.

John Mcrain said:
Size depends on how much thrust do I need, but it is irrelevant for my question because I ask in general for best lift distribution..
1612738261123.png

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uOHckOudGGQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Versus:
1612738338468.png

https://hartzellprop.com/wp-content/uploads/Voyager-Propeller.jpg

Versus:
1612738382715.png

https://hartzellprop.com/wp-content/uploads/Cessna-177B.jpg

Engineering Step 1: Specify the problem.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is propeller blade lift distribution?

Propeller blade lift distribution refers to the distribution of lift along the length of a propeller blade. This is important because it affects the overall performance and efficiency of the propeller.

2. Why is the lift distribution important for achieving the best thrust/power ratio?

The lift distribution directly affects the amount of thrust generated by a propeller. By optimizing the lift distribution, the propeller can achieve the most efficient use of power, resulting in the best thrust/power ratio.

3. How is the lift distribution determined for a propeller blade?

The lift distribution is determined through a combination of design calculations and experimental testing. Factors such as blade shape, angle of attack, and airfoil selection all play a role in determining the lift distribution for a propeller blade.

4. Can the lift distribution be adjusted after a propeller blade has been manufactured?

In most cases, the lift distribution cannot be easily adjusted after a propeller blade has been manufactured. However, some propellers may have adjustable blades that allow for minor changes in the lift distribution.

5. How does the lift distribution affect the overall performance of a propeller?

The lift distribution plays a critical role in the overall performance of a propeller. An optimized lift distribution can result in improved efficiency, reduced noise and vibration, and increased thrust, all of which contribute to a better overall performance of the propeller.