Proper method to calculate damage per second for Role Playing Games

In summary, two individuals are in disagreement over the proper way to calculate damage per second (dps) for a specific spell and determine the best casting order for sustained dps over a long period of time. They are also considering various variables such as casting time, direct damage, and damage over time. Person 1 argues that spamming fireball is the best option, while Person 2 believes a specific casting order will result in higher overall dps. Person 2 provides a detailed explanation of their reasoning and calculations. They are seeking insight and proof on the proper method of calculation and best course of action for their theory.
dillonte
A friend and I have reached a disagreement, and truly neither of us can come up with the math to prove one of us right or wrong. So I pose the question in here for someone to offer me a proof of which theory is correct.

The question is about what is the proper way to calculate damage per second (dps) of a specific spell, in order to come up with the best possible casting order to create the highest possible sustained dps over a long duration of time.

To do this we also have to understand several other variables.

Casting time (CT)- the amount of time it takes for a specific item to be cast. During this time, no other action can be conducted.

Direct Damage (DD)- an amount of damage that is immediately done to a target immediately after a spell has completed its casting.

Damage over Time (DoT)- an amount of damage that does small amounts of damage over a specific period of time after the spell has completed its casting.To be clear, this is an effort to determine how to go about figuring the best possible casting order, without having to use trial and error over days or weeks. We would like math to get involved so we can just use the math for everything.

Here are a few made up spells for us to use for this theory.

Fireball - 1 second CT, 1000 DD
Soul Rot - .5 second CT, 300 damage every 3 seconds, 24 second duration. (DOT)
Defiled Soul - 1.5 second CT, 900 damage every 1 seconds, 6 second duration. (DOT)

Person 1 is arguing that the following is true:
Fireball = 1000 dps since 1000/1 (second casting time + instant damage) = 1000
Soul Rot = 97.96 dps since 300*8/(.5 casting time+24 second duration)
Defiled Soul = 720 dps since 900*6/(1.5 casting time+6 second duration)

So person 1 would say that spamming fireball is the best possible dps over time since 1000 damage is obviously higher than both 720 and 97.96. So if fireball can be cast continuously, they would effectively never cast the others.

Person 2is arguing that the following is true:
Fireball = 1000 dps since 1000/(1 second casting time + instant damage) = 1000
Soul Rot = 4800 dps since 300*8/(.5 casting time) = 4800
Defiled Soul = 3600 dps since 900*6/(1.5 casting time) = 3600

So person 2 would argue that casting soul rot first, then defiled soul, then spam fireball until defiled soul has run its course, and recast defiled soul, then back to fireball spam until defiled soul is done again. Repeat this until Soul Rot has run its course. At that point start this chain again.

I am person 2.

I understand what my friend is saying. Soul Rot effectively does 1000 dps since it does 1000 damage in 1 second. I also understand what he is saying with the other two, since they take a large duration of time to do their total damage, and thus their dps is substantially lower, however I am trying to prove to him that over the course of 20 minutes, the better overall dps can be obtained by weaving the other spells accordingly.

If you cast fireball for 20 minutes straight your total ending dps will be 1000 dps.
If you cast soul rot for 20 minutes straight then your total ending dps will be 97.96 dps
If you cast Defile Soul for 20 minutes straight then your total ending dps will be 720 dps.

If that is the way to calculate dps, then I would never touch the other spells, I would only cast fireball.

My argument is this. If I cast my above mentioned cast order and chain it for 20 minutes then I feel the dps will be 1602.721. My reasoning is this. For .5 seconds of actual casting for soul rot I get 2400 damage, For 1.5 seconds of actual casting for defiled soul I get 5400 damage and for 1 second of actual casting of fireball I get 1000 damage. So in 367.5 seconds, I can cast 49 defiled souls for 264600 damage, 16 soul rots for 38400 damage and 286 fireballs for 286000 damage. All that combined = 589000 damage for the 367.5 seconds. (i used 367.5 because it is the least common multiple between the cast times and duration of the dots) I can chain this 367.5 second long rotation a total of 3.27 times in the 20 minutes of casting. This will amount to 1923265 total damage, which will = to the 1602.721 dps.

Can someone please provide insight on proper method of calculation and best course of action.

Note: of course when we do this, we do it for 15 or more spells. With the proper reasoning and proof, it will not matter how many spells we have to calculate for, the math will still prove the same effectiveness.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi person2! Welcome to MHB! (Wave)

I believe you're right on the mark.

If the fight lasts for an indefinite amount of time, the best choice is Soul Rot since it gives the highest DPS over an extended time.
If the fight lasts for only a couple of seconds, the best choice is Fireball, since it gives the best short term DPS.
For a fight that lasts somewhere in between those 2 extremes, a combination is better as you surmised.

Then it would help if we knew how many hit points damage we have to do. Do we?
If we know that, we can tune the selection of spells so that Soul Rot runs out in the same round as that the last hit point gets knocked off.
Same for Defiled Soul.
And we fill up the last couple of rounds with Fireballs.

1. What is the formula for calculating damage per second (DPS)?

The formula for calculating DPS varies depending on the specific RPG game and its mechanics. Generally, it involves multiplying the character's attack power by their attack speed and factoring in any bonuses or penalties. It is best to consult the game's manual or online resources for the specific formula.

2. How do critical hits affect DPS?

Critical hits, which are attacks that deal significantly more damage than regular attacks, are an important factor in calculating DPS. To factor in critical hits, the game's critical hit chance and critical hit damage multipliers must be included in the DPS formula.

3. Is it important to consider damage over time (DoT) effects in DPS calculations?

Yes, DoT effects such as poison or burn can significantly impact a character's DPS. These effects should be factored into the DPS formula by multiplying the DoT damage by the duration of the effect and adding it to the overall DPS calculation.

4. How do weapon or gear upgrades affect DPS?

Upgrading a character's weapons or gear can increase their attack power or attack speed, which will ultimately increase their DPS. When calculating DPS, be sure to include any changes in attack power or attack speed due to upgraded gear.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when calculating DPS?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all relevant bonuses and penalties in the DPS formula. It is important to account for critical hits, DoT effects, and any upgrades or debuffs that may affect a character's DPS. Additionally, make sure to use accurate and up-to-date values for attack power, attack speed, and other variables in the DPS calculation.