Prospects for an experimental AMO PhD

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential career prospects for someone with a PhD in experimental AMO, particularly in industry. The speaker is considering pursuing a PhD in this field but is concerned about the transferability of skills to non-academic jobs. The response suggests that job offers may be limited to teaching or industry positions that heavily rely on instrumentation and programming skills.
tiredriot
Hi everyone. I've been working as a full time research assistant in an AMO lab for a couple of months and I've found it interesting so far. I'm considering pursuing a PhD in experimental AMO in about a year's time. However, I'm concerned about the non-academia career prospects for AMO PhDs. Is it difficult for someone with an experimental AMO PhD to find a stable job in industry? Are the skills learned in an experimental AMO programme relevant and transferable to industry? I appreciate any advice or information you can give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the job offers I got in the first 10 years after completing my PhD in experimental AMO physics were either faculty jobs at teaching focused schools (no research emphasis) or industry jobs where the offer was based mostly on my instrumentation and programming skills.

1. What is an AMO PhD?

An AMO PhD, or Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics PhD, is a specialized degree in the field of physics that focuses on the study of atoms, molecules, and light. It combines elements of quantum mechanics, optics, and spectroscopy to investigate the fundamental properties of matter and their interactions with electromagnetic radiation.

2. Is an experimental AMO PhD a good choice for me?

Whether an experimental AMO PhD is a good choice for you depends on your interests and career goals. If you have a passion for understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and are interested in pursuing a career in research or academia, then this may be a good fit for you. It is also a good choice for those interested in applications such as quantum computing and precision measurement.

3. What are the job prospects for someone with an experimental AMO PhD?

Job prospects for AMO PhD graduates are generally very good. Many go on to work in research and development in both academic and industrial settings. They may also find opportunities in government laboratories, national research facilities, and technology companies. Graduates with an experimental AMO PhD are highly sought after for their expertise in manipulating and measuring the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. What skills will I develop during an experimental AMO PhD?

During an experimental AMO PhD, you will develop a wide range of skills including experimental design, data analysis, programming, and theoretical modeling. You will also gain expertise in advanced laboratory techniques and equipment, as well as knowledge of quantum mechanics, optics, and spectroscopy. These skills are highly transferable and can be applied to a variety of fields within and outside of physics.

5. How long does it take to complete an experimental AMO PhD?

The length of an experimental AMO PhD program varies, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. Some programs may also require students to complete a master's degree before starting the PhD program. The exact timeline will depend on the individual's progress and the requirements of the specific program.