Protagonist wants to meet his exact clone

• Thread starter chasrob
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a superhero novel where the protagonist has flight, superstrength, superspeed, and invulnerability. He wants to meet his supposed identical clone who is 10^(10^29) meters away in a parallel universe. The conversation also talks about the cosmology of this universe, with multiple domains and empty spaces. There are also discussions about the difficulty of finding an exact clone in an infinite universe and the possibility of working together instead of trying to eliminate each other. The protagonist's powers are insanely powerful and he can travel through multiple domains in a short amount of time. The conversation also brings up ethical concerns and the idea that there may be no exact clones due to the vast chasm of empty spaces between domains.
chasrob said:
I just realized--the main character is unique in all multiverses (author fiat) because he was transformed into a super-powered entity. At that moment, he differed from all those copies
But ... in an infinite universe, they are innumerable versions of him that also got transformed! You can't have it both ways*!

*Wait, I mean you can't not have it both ways.

Last edited:
Likes chasrob and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
In an infinite universe, anything you want is infinitely far away, and you need infinite data to even describe what direction it is. Also, infinite obstructions, and an infinite post telling you how infinitesimal you are.
- Merry Christmas. 😐

Likes chasrob
DaveC426913 said:
But ... in an infinite universe, they are innumerable versions of him that also got transformed! You can't have it both ways*!

*Wait, I mean you can't not have it both ways.
A unique entity by author fiat, Dave! :cool:

At first, I had the protagonist with infinite powers, but since a lot of SF has some character (Galactus, etc.) with infinite so-and-so abilities, I changed to a nice finite range of super-powers... “arrow chains” … easy to understand with my high school math and actually ginormous without bothering with those confusing (to me) “infinites”.

Last edited:
chasrob said:
A unique entity by author fiat, Dave! :cool:
Actually not feeling so God-like at the moment; got a sinus affliction bothering the hell out of me. On Christmas day! :oldcry:

Last edited:
Urk. Gizmodo: There's another version of you out there mirroring your every action 10 to the 10^188 meters away. I thought that version was only 10 to the 10^29 meters. Wonder where Grabianowski got that figure?

Last edited:
chasrob said:
Urk. Goofed above (if anyone cares). Gizmodo: There's another version of you out there in the identical Hubble Volume mirroring your every action 10 to the 10^188 meters away. I thought that version was only 10 to the 10^115 meters. Wonder where Grabianowski got that figure?

Physicist Brian Greene claimed that "... in every region of space that's roughly 10^(10^122)
meters across, there should be a cosmic patch that replicates ours--you, the earth, the galaxy, and everything else that inhabits our cosmic horizon."