Proton Accelerator: A DIY Adventure with Magnetic Fields, Ions, and Explosions

In summary, the speaker's roommate is dating someone who shared an interesting story about making a proton accelerator with friends using magnets and a light bulb. They tapped into residential power and caused distortion in the air before consulting with the speaker's 6th grade teacher's husband, Bill Nye. After attempting to shoot a rod between the magnets, the magnets exploded, causing oxidation and an explosion in the air. However, the speaker cautions that this may not be entirely accurate information.
lamonster
my room mate's dating this guy that told me a pretty interesting story recently. him and a few of his buddies got together and made a proton accelerator out of some bitter magnets in a night. he made a "proton generator" out of ionizing hydrogen in a light bulb. one of them is an advanced electrician and tapped his residential block for power, how much they used? he never said. apparently when they turned it on it caused the air inside to distort kinda like heat waves. now I am guessing here, but i think what was happening is the ions in the air were being pushed around the mag field. anyways before they did anything cool he mentioned he had a 6th grade teacher who married bill nye, so he called her up, asked for some advice and she replied "here just talk to my husband". last thing i remember is him telling me they stuck a 2ft rod of everthread between the magnets and it shot through the garage wall, they found it 800ft down the way... after a few more seconds the magnets exploded. sad. apparently bill said they caused oxidation, making the air explode. (thats a fractured memory, don't take that as doctrine)

just thought I'd share

Physics news on Phys.org
None of that is true.

Related to Proton Accelerator: A DIY Adventure with Magnetic Fields, Ions, and Explosions

1. What is a proton accelerator?

A proton accelerator is a type of particle accelerator that uses electromagnetic fields to increase the speed and energy of charged particles, specifically protons. These accelerated protons can then be used for various purposes, such as medical treatments, scientific research, and industrial applications.

2. How does a proton accelerator work?

A proton accelerator works by using a series of electrically charged plates and magnets to create a strong magnetic field. This field is used to accelerate protons, which are guided through a series of tubes and accelerators until they reach the desired speed and energy level.

3. Can I build my own proton accelerator?

It is possible to build a simple proton accelerator at home, but it would require a great deal of knowledge and expertise in physics, engineering, and safety protocols. It is not recommended for amateurs to attempt building a proton accelerator without supervision and proper training.

4. What are the risks associated with building and operating a proton accelerator?

There are significant risks involved in building and operating a proton accelerator, including radiation exposure, electrical hazards, and potential explosions. It is crucial to have proper safety measures in place and to follow all protocols carefully to minimize these risks.

5. What can a proton accelerator be used for?

A proton accelerator has a wide range of applications, including medical treatments (such as proton therapy for cancer), scientific research (such as particle physics experiments), and industrial uses (such as sterilizing food and materials). It is a versatile tool that is essential for many fields of science and technology.