Prove a formula with Dirac Delta

In summary, the Laplacian of ##1/r## in spherical coordinates is proportional to Dirac's Delta, namely: ##\left(\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial r^2}+\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\right)\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)=-\frac{\delta(r)}{r^2}## This result can be derived using Gauss' law and the gradient of ##1/r##, with the resulting volume integral over a small sphere centered at the origin giving a ##4\pi## result.
Salmone
Why is the Laplacian of ##1/r## in spherical coordinates proportional to Dirac's Delta, namely:

##\left(\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial r^2}+\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\right)\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)=-\frac{\delta(r)}{r^2}##

I get that the result is zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe there should be a ## 4 \pi ## on the right side. (Edit: See post 4. What they have is correct.) I have seen this result in E&M books, e.g. Classical Dynamics by J.D. Jackson, but I have forgotten the details of the proof... I think it might be an application of Gauss' law to a small sphere centered at the origin. In addition, the gradient on ## 1/r ## gives ##- (1/r^2) \hat{a}_r##, and when the ## \nabla \cdot ## is done on this and then integrated over the small sphere (in ## d \tau ## about the origin), the result is that it needs the delta function, because the volume integral by Gauss' law then integrates the function over the surface of the small sphere and gives a ## 4 \pi ## result.

See https://www.therightgate.com/deriving-divergence-in-cylindrical-and-spherical/
The divergence will be zero except for ## r=0 ## where it will be undefined. Gauss' law then tells what it needs to be at ## r=0 ##.

Last edited:
Likes Salmone
Salmone said:
Why is the Laplacian of ##1/r## in spherical coordinates proportional to Dirac's Delta, namely:

##\left(\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial r^2}+\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\right)\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)=-\frac{\delta(r)}{r^2}##

I get that the result is zero.
If you read the LHS as differential operators, then the result is zero. The interesting part is the RHS. What does ##\delta (r) ## stand for? If it is a distribution, then ##\delta (r)=r(0)=0## and everything is fine. But then you have to read the LHS as distribution, too. However, I cannot explain it without further information about the definition of ##\delta (r).##

@Charles Link The ##\pi## factor is a convention for Fourier transforms according to Wikipedia.

Likes Salmone
Looking at it more closely, I remember ## - 4 \pi \delta^3(\vec{r}) ## for the right hand side.

Edit: and what they have I think is consistent with this. Integrating their RHS over a small volume will have ## d \tau= 4 \pi r^2 \, dr ##, and it will integrate to ## - 4 \pi ##, just as it should. They use a one dimensional delta function, where mine is 3D.

Last edited:
Likes Salmone

1. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is used to represent an impulse or spike at a specific point. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite, and has an area of one under the curve.

2. How is the Dirac Delta function used to prove a formula?

The Dirac Delta function is often used in integration to simplify calculations and solve problems involving discontinuous functions. It can be used to represent a point charge or a point mass, and is often used to prove formulas involving impulse response, convolution, and Fourier transforms.

3. Can the Dirac Delta function be graphically represented?

No, the Dirac Delta function cannot be graphed in the traditional sense as it is a mathematical abstraction. However, it is often represented as a spike or impulse at the origin, with a height of infinity and an area of one under the curve.

4. How is the Dirac Delta function related to the Kronecker Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function and the Kronecker Delta function are two different mathematical functions that are often confused with each other. The Kronecker Delta function, denoted as δij, is a discrete function that takes on the value of one when i = j, and zero otherwise. It is often used in linear algebra and discrete mathematics, while the Dirac Delta function is used in calculus and analysis.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Dirac Delta function?

Yes, the Dirac Delta function has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to model point charges and point masses in electromagnetism and mechanics, and is also used in signal processing and control systems. It is also used in quantum mechanics to represent the position of a particle in a wavefunction.