Prove a rational fraction is equal to another

In summary: Let the fractions (ratios) ##\dfrac{x}{b+c-a}=\dfrac{y}{c+a-b}=\dfrac{z}{a+b-c} = \boldsymbol{k}##.One consequnce of the Relevant equations given above is that if ##\frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}=\frac{e}{f}=\ldots = \frac{a+c+e+\ldots}{b+d+f+\ldots}##. This can be shown by putting ##p=q=r=\ldots = n = 1##.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
If ##\dfrac{x}{b+c-a}=\dfrac{y}{c+a-b}=\dfrac{z}{a+b-c},## ##\\[10pt]##
prove that ##\boxed{\boldsymbol{\dfrac{x+y+z}{a+b+c}=\dfrac{x(y+z)+y(z+x)+z(x+y)}{2(ax+by+cz)}}}##
Relevant Equations
##\mathbf{Theorem :}## If fractions ##\dfrac{a}{b}=\dfrac{c}{d}=\dfrac{e}{f}=\ldots##, each of the fractions is equal to ##\left( \dfrac{pa^n+qc^n+re^n+\ldots}{pb^n+qd^n+rf^n+\ldots}\right)^{1/n}##
Problem Statement : If ##\dfrac{x}{b+c-a}=\dfrac{y}{c+a-b}=\dfrac{z}{a+b-c},## prove that ##\boxed{\boldsymbol{\dfrac{x+y+z}{a+b+c}=\dfrac{x(y+z)+y(z+x)+z(x+y)}{2(ax+by+cz)}}}##

Attempt : Let the fractions (ratios) ##\dfrac{x}{b+c-a}=\dfrac{y}{c+a-b}=\dfrac{z}{a+b-c} = \boldsymbol{k}##. ##\\[10pt]##
One consequnce of the Relevant equations given above is that if ##\frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}=\frac{e}{f}=\ldots = \frac{a+c+e+\ldots}{b+d+f+\ldots}##. This can be shown by putting ##p=q=r=\ldots = n = 1##. ##\\[10 pt]##
Hence from the problem statement ##\dfrac{x}{b+c-a}=\dfrac{y}{c+a-b}=\dfrac{z}{a+b-c} = \dfrac{x+y+z}{b+c-a+c+a-b+a+b-c}= \dfrac{x+y+z}{a+b+c}##.

So the L.H.S of the required equation is the same as each of the given fractions.

Hence, what we need to show is that the R.H.S of the required equation is also equal to the given fractions, which I have simply put to be equal to ##k##.

Let's see. The R.H.S. = ##\dfrac{x(y+z)+y(z+x)+z(x+y)}{2(ax+by+cz)}= \dfrac{(x+y+z)^2-(x^2+y^2+z^2)}{2(ax+by+cz)}=\dfrac{k^2(a+b+c)^2-k^2\{(b+c-a)^2+(c+a-b)^2+(a+b-c)^2\}}{2k\{ a(b+c-a)+b(c+a-b)+c(a+b-c) \}}## ##\\[10pt]## ##=\dfrac{k}{2}\dfrac{-2(a^2+b^2+c^2)+(4bc+4ca+4ab)}{2bc+2ca+2ab-(a^2+b^2+c^2)}=k\dfrac{(a^2+b^2+c^2)-2(ab+bc+ca)}{(a^2+b^2+c^2)-(2ab+2bc+2ca)}= k## (proved).

The issue : The book I am working from (Hall and Knight, Higher Algebra), has explicitly asked not to assume the given ratios (fractions) ##\dfrac{x}{b+c-a}=\dfrac{y}{c+a-b}=\dfrac{z}{a+b-c} = \boldsymbol{k}##, which is what I have done. I can't see right now how the problem above can be done without it.

A hint or a suggestion to solve the problem without the use of the "fractional representative" ##k## would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using
[tex]x=(b+c-a)k[/tex][tex]y=(c+a-b)k[/tex][tex]z=(a+b-c)k [/tex]
and substituting x,y,z with a,b,c,k formula seems a straight forward way. What sort of anxiety you feel on it ?

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Maybe it can be done by using the property $$\frac{A}{B}=\frac{C}{D}\iff AD=BC$$ but it is going to be long and painful as you going to use this property many times for the various fractions. Seems to me that the book authors want to do this in the longest, most painful way, but you going to practice your algebra skills doing it this way.

anuttarasammyak said:
Using
[tex]x=(b+c-a)k[/tex][tex]y=(c+a-b)k[/tex][tex]z=(a+b-c)k [/tex]
and substituting x,y,z with a,b,c,k formula seems a straight forward way. What sort of anxiety you feel on it ?
That is what I did. But the authors of the book want the problem solved without the use of the "fractional representative" k.

Hum... Substitutions without explicit k,
[tex]x=\frac{b+c-a}{a+b-c}z[/tex]
[tex]y=\frac{c+a-b}{a+b-c}z[/tex]
do also work but less beautiful. I do not think it is the intention of the author.

Likes Delta2 and PeroK
The authours have uploaded their solution to the problem above. The solution is elegant but requires plenty of practice for one to be aware of it. I am afraid I didn't have it at the time of writing.

Problem statement : If ##\dfrac{x}{b+c-a}=\dfrac{y}{c+a-b}=\dfrac{z}{a+b-c}## ##\\[20pt]##, prove that ##\boxed{\boldsymbol{\dfrac{x+y+z}{a+b+c}=\dfrac{x(y+z)+y(z+x)+z(x+y)}{2(ax+by+cz)}}}##.

1625647364075.png
Solution (authors)
:

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak and Delta2

1. How do you prove that two rational fractions are equal?

To prove that two rational fractions are equal, you must show that they have the same value. This can be done by simplifying both fractions to their lowest terms and then comparing the resulting numerators and denominators. If they are the same, then the fractions are equal.

2. What is the process for proving a rational fraction is equal to another?

The process for proving a rational fraction is equal to another involves finding a common denominator for both fractions, converting them to equivalent fractions with that denominator, and then comparing the numerators. If the numerators are equal, then the fractions are equal.

3. Can you use cross-multiplication to prove that two rational fractions are equal?

Yes, cross-multiplication can be used to prove that two rational fractions are equal. This method involves multiplying the numerator of one fraction by the denominator of the other fraction, and vice versa. If the resulting products are equal, then the fractions are equal.

4. Are there any special cases when proving two rational fractions are equal?

Yes, there are a few special cases when proving two rational fractions are equal. One case is when both fractions are already in their simplest form, in which case you can simply compare the numerators and denominators. Another case is when one or both fractions have a zero denominator, in which case the fractions are not equal.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving two rational fractions are equal?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving two rational fractions are equal include not simplifying the fractions to their lowest terms, using an incorrect common denominator, and not checking for special cases such as zero denominators. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the proof and double-check your work to ensure accuracy.