Prove Existence of Borel Measure with Compact Set as Support in R

In summary, if a measure m on a space X has a total measure of 1 and a compact subset K with measure 1, where any proper compact subsets of K have measure less than 1, then K is considered the support of m. It is then asked to prove that every compact subset of the real numbers is the support of a Borel measure, meaning there exists a Borel measure m with m(R)=m(K)<infinity and m(L)<m(K) for any proper compact subset L of K. This can be proven by using a dense countable subset of K.
StatusX
Homework Helper
Let m be a measure on the space X. I'm told that if m(X)=1, K is a compact subset of X with m(K)=1, and K has the property that any proper compact subsets of K have measure strictly less than 1, then K is called the support of m. Then I'm asked to show that every compact subset of R is the support of some Borel measure.

Does this mean that given a compact set K in R, there exists a Borel measure m with m(R)=m(K)<infinity and m(L)<m(K) for any proper compact subset L of K? If so, I'm having a hard time understanding what such a measure would look like, or how I would prove one exists. Can anyone help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I got it (it involved a dense countable subset of K).

Yes, that is exactly what it means. To prove the existence of a Borel measure with a compact set as its support in R, we first need to define what a Borel measure is.

A Borel measure is a measure defined on the Borel sigma-algebra of a topological space. In simpler terms, it is a measure that assigns a non-negative real number to each Borel set in the space. In this case, our space is R, so we are looking for a measure defined on the Borel sets of R.

Now, let K be a compact subset of R. We want to show that there exists a Borel measure m such that m(R)=m(K)<infinity and m(L)<m(K) for any proper compact subset L of K.

To construct such a measure, we can use the outer measure defined as follows:
m*(A) = inf{∑n=1∞ |I_n| : A ⊆ ∪n=1∞ I_n, I_n are intervals}

In other words, the outer measure of a set A is the infimum of the sums of the lengths of intervals that cover A.

Now, we define a measure m on the Borel sets of R as follows:
m(A) = m*(A∩K)

In words, the measure of a Borel set A is equal to the outer measure of the intersection of A with K.

To prove that this is a Borel measure, we need to show that it satisfies the three properties of a measure:

1. Non-negativity: Since the outer measure is non-negative, m(A) = m*(A∩K) ≥ 0 for any Borel set A.

2. Countable additivity: Let {A_n} be a countable collection of disjoint Borel sets. Then,
m(∪n=1∞ A_n) = m*(∪n=1∞ A_n ∩ K) = m*(∪n=1∞ (A_n ∩ K))
= ∑n=1∞ m*(A_n ∩ K)
= ∑n=1∞ m(A_n)

3. Outer measure of an interval: It can be shown that the outer measure of an interval is its length. So

Related to Prove Existence of Borel Measure with Compact Set as Support in R

1. What is a Borel measure?

A Borel measure is a mathematical concept used to measure the size or "volume" of a set. It is defined on a specific type of set called a Borel set, which is a set that can be constructed from open intervals in a precise way.

2. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a set that is closed (contains all its limit points) and bounded (has a finite or infinite diameter). In other words, it is a set that contains all its points and can be contained within a finite region.

3. How do you prove the existence of a Borel measure with a compact set as its support?

The existence of a Borel measure with a compact set as its support can be proven using the Carathéodory Extension Theorem. This theorem states that if we have a measure defined on a smaller collection of sets (such as open sets), we can extend this measure to a larger collection of sets (such as Borel sets) while still preserving certain properties.

4. Why are Borel measures important?

Borel measures are important in mathematics because they allow us to define and measure sets in a precise and consistent way. They are also used in various areas of mathematics, such as measure theory, probability theory, and functional analysis.

5. Can a Borel measure have a support that is not a compact set?

Yes, a Borel measure can have a support that is not a compact set. In fact, there are many examples of Borel measures with non-compact supports, such as the Lebesgue measure on the real line. However, the existence of a Borel measure with a compact set as its support is important in certain applications, such as the Riesz representation theorem in functional analysis.