Prove Existence of Real Invertible Matrix Q for A & B 2x2 Similar Matricies

• Thread starter samkolb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matricies
In summary, we can show that if A and B are 2x2 real matrices and there exists an invertible complex 2x2 matrix P such that B = [P^(-1)]AP, then there also exists a real invertible 2x2 matrix Q such that B = [Q^(-1)]AQ. This is proven by first showing that P can be written as the sum of a real and imaginary part, and then finding a suitable real constant alpha that makes the matrix Q invertible. This is possible due to the properties of the determinant of a polynomial.
samkolb
Let A and B be 2x2 real matricies, and suppose there exists an invertible complex 2x2 matrix P such that B = [P^(-1)]AP.

Show that there exists a real invertible 2x2 matrix Q such that B = [Q^(-1)]AQ.

A and B are similar when thought of as complex matricies, so they represent the same linear transformation on C2 for appropriately chosen bases, and share many other properties:

same trace, same determinant, same characteristic equation , same eigenvalues.

If I take Q = (1/2)(P + P bar) (the "real part" of P),
then I can show QB = AQ, and so B = [Q^(-1)]AQ if Q is invertible, but this Q may not be invertible.

I also noticed that each of A and B may be triangularized (since each of A and B has an eigenvalue), but I don't know where to go from there...

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that P is invertible, right?
Then if Q = 1/2(P + P*), you can show that det Q = 1/2(det P + (det P)*) so if det P is non-zero, then so is det Q and you are done.

What if det P = i. Then det P + (det P)* = 0 (I'm assuming that x* means the complex conjugate of x). Also, if each entry of P is pure imaginary,then P + P* = 0.

I was unable to derive the formula det Q = 1/2(det P + (det P)*. Computing det Q explicitly in terms of the entries in P I got det Q = 1/2(det P + (det P)* + a) where a is a possibly nonzero real number.

Think more simpler.

How about [itex] Q = \alpha P [/itex] for any real nonzero [itex]\alpha[/itex]?

Let [tex]X[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] be real and imaginary parts of [tex]P[/tex] (take the real and imaginary parts of each entry), so [tex]P= X+ iY[/tex].

We can rewrite the equation [tex]B = P^{-1}A P[/tex] as [tex]PB = AP[/tex], or, using the above notation [tex](X+iY)B = A(X+iY)[/tex].

Comparing real and imaginary parts we get that [tex]X B = A X [/tex] and [tex]Y B = A Y [/tex]. Therefore [tex](X+\alpha Y)B = A(X+\alpha Y)[/tex] for all real (and complex) [tex]\alpha[/tex].

So, we prove the statement we only need to find a real [tex]\alpha[/tex], such that the matrix [tex]Q:= X + \alpha Y[/tex] is invertible.
To see that it is possible, consider a function [tex]f(z) = \operatorname{det} (X+ zY) [/tex]. If all matrices are [tex]n\times n[/tex], it is a polynomial of degree at most [tex]n[/tex].

We know that [tex]f(i) \ne 0[/tex] (because [tex]P[/tex] is invertible), so [tex]f(z)[/tex] is not identically zero. Therefore it has at most n roots, so any [tex]\alpha[/tex] avoiding these roots works.

1. What is the definition of an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has an inverse, meaning there exists another matrix that when multiplied by the original matrix results in the identity matrix. In other words, an invertible matrix has a unique solution for the equation Ax = b, where A is the original matrix, x is a vector, and b is the identity matrix.

2. How do you prove that a matrix is invertible?

To prove that a matrix is invertible, you can use two methods: the determinant method and the elementary row operations method. The determinant method involves calculating the determinant of the matrix and showing that it is not equal to zero. The elementary row operations method involves using elementary row operations to transform the matrix into an identity matrix.

3. What is the importance of proving the existence of an invertible matrix?

Proving the existence of an invertible matrix is important because it ensures that the matrix is nonsingular, meaning it has a unique solution. This is crucial in various fields of mathematics and science, such as linear algebra, differential equations, and physics.

4. Can all similar matrices be proven to have an invertible matrix?

Yes, all similar matrices can be proven to have an invertible matrix. This is because similar matrices have the same determinant, and if the determinant is not equal to zero, then the matrix is invertible.

5. How does proving the existence of an invertible matrix relate to the properties of similarity?

Proving the existence of an invertible matrix for similar matrices relates to the properties of similarity because it shows that similar matrices have the same determinant, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors. This means that the two matrices can be transformed into each other through a change of basis, and that they have the same algebraic structure.