Prove: Integral of arctan(x) = $\frac{\pi}{8}\log(2)$

• MHB
  • Thread starter alyafey22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral of arctan(x) is equal to $\frac{\pi}{8}\log(2)$ and can be proven using the substitution or integration by parts method. This involves simplifying the integral using trigonometric identities and using logarithmic properties to solve it. This integral is important in mathematics as it represents the area under the curve of the arctan(x) function and is used in various other applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Prove the following integral

\(\displaystyle \int^1_0 \frac{\mathrm{arctan}(x)}{1+x}\,dx = \frac{\pi}{8} \log(2) \)​

This is not too challenging and could be solved by elementary functions .

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:
Prove the following integral

\(\displaystyle \int^1_0 \frac{\mathrm{arctan}(x)}{1+x}\,dx = \frac{\pi}{8} \log(2) \)​

This is not too challenging and could be solved by elementary functions .

Use the substitution $x=\tan t \Rightarrow dx=\sec^2t\,dt$, the integral changes to:

$$\int_0^{\pi/4} \frac{t\sec^2t}{1+\tan t}dt$$

From integration by parts and since $\displaystyle \int \frac{\sec^2t}{1+\tan t}dt=\ln(1+\tan t)+C$, we get

$$\displaystyle \bigg(t\ln(1+\tan t)\bigg|_0^{\pi/4}-\int_0^{\pi/4}\ln(1+\tan t)\,dt \,\,\, (*)$$

Let

$$I=\int_0^{\pi/4} \ln(1+\tan t)\,dt$$
The above is equivalent to
$$I=\int_0^{\pi/4} \ln\left(1+\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{4}-t\right)\right)\,dt$$
Adding both the expressions for I and simplifying, we get
$$2I=\int_0^{\pi/4}\ln2\,dt \Rightarrow I=\frac{\pi}{8}\ln2$$

Substituting in (*), we get the final answer $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{8}\ln2$

Last edited:

Related to Prove: Integral of arctan(x) = $\frac{\pi}{8}\log(2)$

What is the integral of arctan(x)?

The integral of arctan(x) is equal to $\frac{\pi}{8}\log(2)$.

How do you prove that the integral of arctan(x) is $\frac{\pi}{8}\log(2)$?

The integral of arctan(x) can be proven using the substitution method or the integration by parts method.

Can you provide a step-by-step explanation of the proof?

Yes, the proof involves substituting u = arctan(x) and then using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. The remaining integral can then be solved using the properties of logarithms.

Why is the integral of arctan(x) important in mathematics?

The integral of arctan(x) is important in calculus and other fields of mathematics because it represents the area under the curve of the arctan(x) function. It is also a fundamental integral that is used in many other integrals and applications.

Are there any real-life applications of the integral of arctan(x)?

Yes, the integral of arctan(x) has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the work done by a force, the area of a curved surface, and the cost of production in certain industries.