Prove that diffeomorphisms are between manifolds with the same dimension

In summary: But this is the inverse of a matrix, which is itself a differential equation! So you need to solve the differential equation for the inverse of the matrix, and this will give you the dimensions of the space U and V.
feynman137
My definition of diffeomorphism is a one-to-one mapping f:U->V, such that f and f^{-1} are both continuously differentiable. Now, how to prove that if f is a diffeomorphism between euclidean sets U and V, then U and V must be in spaces with equal dimension (using the implicit function theorem)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi feynman137! :smile:

What about following reasoning:
If U and V are diffeomorphic, then the tangents spaces at some points must be isomorphic. But the tangent space at U is [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] and the tangent space at V is [itex]\mathbb{R}^m[/itex], and these are only isomorphic when n=m.

By contradiction.
Assume U sits in R^n and V sits in R^m, and assume without loss of generality that n>m.
By Sard's theorem, there is a point p in U such that f satisfies the hypothesis of the the implicit fct theorem (Df(p) is surjective, so modulo a reindexing of the coordinates, the nxn submatrix of the last partial derivatives is nonsingular). Set v:=f(p).
The implicit function theorem says that locally, the level set f^{-1}(v) looks like the graph of some function g: There is an open set R = A x B in R^{n-m} x R^{n} and g:A-->B such that R n f^{-1}(v) = graph(g).

However, if f is a diffeomorphism, f^{-1}(v) = {p}: contradiction.

Looking for a book!

Hi,

I am looking for a book " Transversal Mappings and Flows" written by Ralph Abraham and J. Robbin. I can not find it at any library in my country. Also if you have a Pdf or Djvu format, can you send it to me. It will help me by reading Hutchings lecture notes. This is my e-mail adress: seydunas84@hotmail.com

feynman137 said:
My definition of diffeomorphism is a one-to-one mapping f:U->V, such that f and f^{-1} are both continuously differentiable. Now, how to prove that if f is a diffeomorphism between euclidean sets U and V, then U and V must be in spaces with equal dimension (using the implicit function theorem)?

try showing that charts on one manifold are carried into charts on the other.

Yet another proof:
The Inverse Function Theorem would give you an mxn matrix for the differential of the map between R^n and R^m; in a diffeomorphism, the matrix would be invertible, so that you need m=n.

1. What is a diffeomorphism?

A diffeomorphism is a smooth and invertible map between two manifolds that preserves the smoothness of the functions on the manifolds. It is essentially a bijective map that also preserves the smooth structure of the manifolds.

2. What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical concept that describes a space that locally resembles Euclidean space. It is a topological space that is locally homeomorphic to Euclidean space, meaning that it is locally flat and can be described using coordinate systems.

3. Why do diffeomorphisms need to be between manifolds with the same dimension?

Diffeomorphisms must be between manifolds with the same dimension because the concept of smoothness is only defined for manifolds of the same dimension. If the dimensions are not the same, the smoothness of the functions on the manifolds cannot be preserved.

4. How is the smoothness of functions preserved by diffeomorphisms?

Diffeomorphisms preserve the smoothness of functions by ensuring that the composition of smooth functions on one manifold is also smooth on the other manifold. This means that if a function is smooth on one manifold, its image under the diffeomorphism will also be smooth on the other manifold.

5. Can diffeomorphisms exist between manifolds of different dimensions?

No, diffeomorphisms can only exist between manifolds of the same dimension. This is because diffeomorphisms must preserve the smoothness of functions, which is only defined for manifolds of the same dimension. If the dimensions are different, the smoothness of functions cannot be preserved.