Prove that if ab=ac, then b=c.

• Thread starter kripkrip420
  • Start date
In summary, the proof shows that if ab=ac and a does not equal 0, then b=c using the field axioms. The assumption that a does not equal 0 is necessary for the proof to hold. The cancelation ring is a more general object where non-zero members may not have multiplicative inverses, but the proof still holds.
kripkrip420
Can someone help me prove that if ab=ac and a does not equal 0, then b=c. You can only use the field axioms. Here is my attempt( I am not sure about the final result).

ab=ac
then,
ab-ac=0
a(b-c)=0
a(0)=0 (Already proved this)
since a cannot equal 0, (b-c) must equal zero and we are left with...
b-c=0
b=c

The only problem I have found with the above is that I have assumed that a does not equal 0. I do not know if this is alright since the statement "a does not equal 0" is part of the originial theorem I am trying to prove.

Thank you to anyone who helps!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is nothing wrong with your proof. The assumption that a <> 0 needs to hold to show b = c. If a was zero then a solution b <> c would exist which is why they stated that a must be non-zero.

And more importantly, every field is an integral domain, so b-c must equal 0.

kripkrip420 said:
if ab=ac and a does not equal 0, then b=c. You can only use the field axioms.

The only problem I have found with the above is that I have assumed that a does not equal 0. I do not know if this is alright since the statement "a does not equal 0" is part of the originial theorem I am trying to prove.

Thank you to anyone who helps!

The proof starts with the two initial statements:
1. ab=ac
2. a does not equal 0

The proof requires that using these 2 statements, combined with the field axioms, you deduce that:
3. b=c

You did exactly that, and so yes, you can use the statement "a does not equal 0".
What you cannot do, is use the statement that b=c, and you didn't.

[EDIT]However, you did not state what the field axioms are. Do they allow all the steps that you made?[/EDIT]

You say that you are using the field axioms, one of which is that every member of the field except 0 has a multiplicative inverse: If ab= ac and a is not 0, then [itex]a^{-1}(ab)= (a^{-1}a)b[/itex] (by the associative law) so [itex]a^{-1}(ab)= 1(b)= b[/itex] while [tex]a^{-1}(ac)= (a^{-1}a)c= 1(c)= c[/itex]. That is, multiplying both sides of ab= ac by [itex]a^{-1}[/itex] gives b= c.

A more general object is the "cancelation ring" in which non-zero members do NOT necessarily have multiplicative inverses but if ab= 0 and a is not 0, then b= 0. In that case, if ab= ac, ab- ac= a(b- c)= 0. Since a is not 0, we must have b- c= 0 and so b= c. An example of a cancelation ring that is not a field is the set of all integers with ordinary addition and multiplication.

Last edited by a moderator:
ab=ac
It means
10a+b =10a +c
b=c

---
If you don't understand why ab=10a+b,

It will be easier to explain If i give an example:

45=10*(4)+5
ab=10*(a)+b

Last edited:
gerimis said:
ab=ac
It means
10a+b =10a +c
b=c

---
If you don't understand why ab=10a+b,

It will be easier to explain If i give an example:

45=10*(4)+5
ab=10*(a)+b

You don't seem to understand what we're doing, here.

The OP is referring to a general Field, and when he writes ab he means a*b where * is the multiplication in the Field. He does not mean what you seem to think he means. That is, ab is not a number written in decimal notation.

chiro said:
There is nothing wrong with your proof. The assumption that a <> 0 needs to hold to show b = c. If a was zero then a solution b <> c would exist which is why they stated that a must be non-zero.

Thank you for the clarification and your reply!

HallsofIvy said:
You say that you are using the field axioms, one of which is that every member of the field except 0 has a multiplicative inverse: If ab= ac and a is not 0, then [itex]a^{-1}(ab)= (a^{-1}a)b[/itex] (by the associative law) so [itex]a^{-1}(ab)= 1(b)= b[/itex] while [tex]a^{-1}(ac)= (a^{-1}a)c= 1(c)= c[/itex]. That is, multiplying both sides of ab= ac by [itex]a^{-1}[/itex] gives b= c.

A more general object is the "cancelation ring" in which non-zero members do NOT necessarily have multiplicative inverses but if ab= 0 and a is not 0, then b= 0. In that case, if ab= ac, ab- ac= a(b- c)= 0. Since a is not 0, we must have b- c= 0 and so b= c. An example of a cancelation ring that is not a field is the set of all integers with ordinary addition and multiplication.

Sorry. I have forgotten to include that no division axioms may be used but nonetheless, thank you!

Thanks to all who replied! You have helped me greatly!

What does the statement "ab=ac" mean?

The statement "ab=ac" means that the product of a and b is equal to the product of a and c.

Why is it important to prove that if ab=ac, then b=c?

It is important to prove this statement because it is a fundamental property of equality in mathematics. By proving it, we can confidently use it as a rule in solving equations and other mathematical problems.

How can we prove that if ab=ac, then b=c?

We can prove this statement using the division property of equality. Since ab=ac, we can divide both sides by a to get b=c.

Can this statement be applied to any numbers or variables?

Yes, this statement can be applied to any real numbers or variables. It is a general rule that holds true for all values of a, b, and c.

What implications does this statement have in other areas of mathematics or science?

This statement has implications in various areas of mathematics and science, such as algebra, geometry, physics, and chemistry. It is a fundamental property that is used in solving equations, proving theorems, and making calculations in various fields of science.