Proving Convexity of a Set: A Proof by Contradiction Approach

• Thread starter TaPaKaH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, to show that the set ##C=\{(x,y,z)\in\mathbb{R}^3:x\geq0,z\geq0,xz\geq y^2\}## is convex, a proof by contradiction can be used. By assuming the existence of two points in the set and a value between 0 and 1, it can be shown that this leads to a contradiction. By squaring both sides of an inequality and applying the properties of C, a contradiction can be reached, proving the convexity of the set.
TaPaKaH
How to show that a set ##C=\{(x,y,z)\in\mathbb{R}^3:x\geq0,z\geq0,xz\geq y^2\}## is convex?

I tried a proof by contradiction: Assume that there exist ##c_1=(x_1,y_1,z_1),c_2=(x_2,y_2,z_2)\in C## and ##t\in(0,1)## such that ##tc_1+(1-t)c_2\notin C##.
For this to hold, one would have to have
$$(tx_1+(1-t)x_2)(tz_1+(1-t)z_2)<(ty_1+(1-t)y_2)^2$$ $$t^2x_1z_1+t(1-t)(x_1z_2+x_2z_1)+(1-t)^2x_2z_2<t^2y_1^2+2t(1-t)y_1y_2+(1-t)^2y_2^2.$$ We know that ##x_1z_1\geq y_1^2## and ##x_2z_2\geq y_2^2## but this doesn't seem to help me get any further than ##x_1z_2+x_2z_1<2y_1y_2##, from which I can't see a possible contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
TaPaKaH said:
How to show that a set ##C=\{(x,y,z)\in\mathbb{R}^3:x\geq0,z\geq0,xz\geq y^2\}## is convex?

I tried a proof by contradiction: Assume that there exist ##c_1=(x_1,y_1,z_1),c_2=(x_2,y_2,z_2)\in C## and ##t\in(0,1)## such that ##tc_1+(1-t)c_2\notin C##.
For this to hold, one would have to have
$$(tx_1+(1-t)x_2)(tz_1+(1-t)z_2)<(ty_1+(1-t)y_2)^2$$ $$t^2x_1z_1+t(1-t)(x_1z_2+x_2z_1)+(1-t)^2x_2z_2<t^2y_1^2+2t(1-t)y_1y_2+(1-t)^2y_2^2.$$ We know that ##x_1z_1\geq y_1^2## and ##x_2z_2\geq y_2^2## but this doesn't seem to help me get any further than ##x_1z_2+x_2z_1<2y_1y_2##, from which I can't see a possible contradiction.

You're on the right track.

Square both sides of ##x_1z_2+x_2z_1<2y_1y_2## to get ##x_1^2z_2^2+2(x_1z_1)(x_2z_2)+x_2^2z_1^2<4y_1^2y_2^2## (*)

By the property of C, ##x_1z_1≥y_1^2## and ##x_2z_2≥y_2^2##. Applying this to (*) and rearranging gives ##x_1^2z_2^2+x_2^2z_1^2<2y_1^2y_2^2##, but ##2y_1^2y_2^2≤2(x_1z_1)(x_2z_2)##, so this gives us ##x_1^2z_2^2-2(x_1z_1)(x_2z_2)+x_2^2z_1^2<0##. Why is this a contradiction?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Got it, thank you!

Related to Proving Convexity of a Set: A Proof by Contradiction Approach

What is the definition of convexity of a set?

The convexity of a set is a mathematical concept that describes the shape of a set. A set is considered convex if every line segment connecting two points in the set is also contained within the set. In other words, a set is convex if it is "bowed out" and has no "dents" or "holes".

Why is proving convexity important in science?

Proving convexity is important in science because it allows us to understand the shape and behavior of a set. This is useful in many areas of science, such as optimization problems, economics, and physics. It also helps us to determine the properties and relationships within a set, which can lead to further discoveries and advancements.

How can you prove that a set is convex?

To prove that a set is convex, you can use the definition of convexity and show that every line segment between two points in the set is also contained within the set. This can be done by using mathematical equations and logic to demonstrate that the set has no "dents" or "holes".

What are some real-life examples of convex sets?

There are many real-life examples of convex sets, such as a circle, a sphere, and a cone. These sets have no "dents" or "holes" and every line segment connecting two points on the surface is also contained within the set. Other examples include a convex lens, a convex mirror, and a convex polygon.

Are there any shortcuts or techniques for proving convexity?

Yes, there are some techniques and shortcuts that can be used to prove convexity. One common technique is to use the Hessian matrix to determine the convexity of a set. Another shortcut is to use the fact that the intersection of convex sets is also convex. Additionally, geometric methods can also be used for certain types of sets, such as circles or spheres.