Proving Hard Inequalities for Acute Angles and Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the conversation discussed two questions related to proving inequalities. The first question involved proving that for acute angles a, b, and c, if tg(a)tg(b)tg(c) = 1, then sin(a)sin(b)sin(c) <= 1/2sqrt2. The second question involved proving that for all x and y, cos(x^2) + cos(y^2) - cos(xy) < 3. Various approaches were suggested, including using the Lagrange multiplier method and exploiting the symmetry of the functions. Ultimately, it was shown that the maximum value of the expressions could not be achieved when the angles were equal.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need to prove the following:
1)let a,b,c be acute angles, if tg(a)tg(b)tg(c)=1 then sin(a)sin(b)sin(c)<=1/2sqrt2
2) prove that for every x,y cos(x^2)+cos(y^2)-cos(xy)<3
for the second question i tried to use the fact that (x^2+y^2)/2>=xy and the fact that on some intervals the function cos is decreasing, actually what i need to prove is that -cos(xy)<1, cause cosx^2+cosy^2<=2, so i also tried to show that cos(xy) cannot be equal -1, but didnt get much with that.

for the first i used the cosine law and sine law, but also didnt get far, i need to show that (sin^2a(sin^2b+sin^2c)+sin^2b(sin^2a+sin^2c)+sin^2c(sin^2a+sin^2b)<=sin(a)sin(b)sin(c), but i didnt succeded in it.

p.s
if someone wonders why I am posting questions of these type is because I am reviewing a little bit inequalities.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tg(a) is what?

a shortcut for tangans of a, or if you will sina/cosa. (-:

It's tan, a well known abbreviation already. Is this some new convention with which I'm completely unfamiliar?

as far as I am aware you can use both tan and tg.
anyway, do you have any hints about my questions?

For the second one, the maximum value cos can attain is 1, and the minimum is -1. So you simply have to show that cos(x2)=cos(y2)=1 and cos(xy)=-1 are not simultaneously possible, because that's the only way to make that equal three (you can't break three with the sum of three cos terms). So for cos to equal 1,[tex]x^2=2\pi n[/tex] and same for y2 Try to analyze what xy can be given that (and noting xy must be a multiple of [tex](2n+1) \pi[/tex] to make your inequality untrue)

Last edited:
Have you tried using a Lagrange multiplier approach on the first one?

I thought of that too, but it seems a bit too complicated, if you ask me. Here are two proofs of the first one without any analysis/calculus.

The condition essentially states that sin(a)sin(b)sin(c)=cos(a)cos(b)cos(c). Or that the function is symmetric about (pi/4,pi/4,pi/4) in each variable. Thus that is either going to be the maximum or minimum, a check tells us it is not a minimum.

If that's too hand wavy, how about this one? Fix a. Clearly for any a the maximum we can attain is when b=c. This applies for any a, in particular the a where the maximum occurs. Thus the maximum occurs at (a,b,b). But this is completely symmetric in the arguments, so a=b=c is the maximum. The value of the maximum is then gotten from the condition which reduces to tan(a)^3=1, or a=pi/4.

I can't be bothered to make those rigorous - which could be done with an argument involving lagrange multipliers, for example.

matt, I think your first argument is less hand wavy than the second, which actually assumes off the bat that there DOES exist a maximum.

But there is obviously a maximum by inspection.

As it happens, using Lagrange multipliers turns out to be very simple.
It is, however, at least as important to understand how the symmetry arguments used by matt are powerful, and ought to be convincing on their own.

Here's how we might set up the problem using L.M's:
Define:
[tex]f(a,b,c)=\sin(a)\sin(b)\sin(c), g(a,b,c)=f(a,b,c)-\cos(a)\cos(b)\cos(c)[/tex]
Thus, we are to solve the problem:
[tex]\nabla{f}=\lambda\nabla{g},g=0[/tex]
Considering the first equation, we have:
[tex]\cos(a)\sin(b)\sin(c)=\lambda(\cos(a)\sin(b)\sin(c)+\sin(a)\cos(b)\cos(c))[/tex]
Rearranging a bit, we may write this equation as:
[tex]\tan(a)=\frac{1-\lambda}{\lambda}\tan(b)\tan(c)[/tex]
Similar expressions hold, of course, for tan(b) and tan(c), and multiplying these three equations and utilizing g=0, yields:
[tex](\frac{1-\lambda}{\lambda})^{3}=1\to\lambda=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
OP can finish the exercise on his own.

Last edited:
the problem is i can't use lagrange multipliers.

here's my appraoch:
we have three acute angles, we can use the cosine law and sine law,
after I am using both of these theorems, i get to this inequality:
sin(a)sin(b)sin(c)<=1/8[sin^2a/sin^2c+sin^2a/sin^2b+sin^2b/sin^2a+sin^2b/sin^2c+sin^2c/sin^2b+sin^2c/sin^2a]
p.s
matt, i feel that both your arguments are hand wavy.
i understand that sin(a)sin(b)sin(c)=cos(a)cos(b)cos(c) but how do you show that the maximum is achieved when a=b=c=pi/4?

office shredder, if cos(xy)=-1 cos(x^2)=cos(y^2)=1 then we have
x^2=2npi y^2=2kpi so xy=2(pi)sqrt(nk) but according to the first equation xy=pi+2cpi so we have 2(pi)sqrt(nk)=pi+2cpi
4nk=1+2c which is a contradiction cause the rhs is an odd number, and the lhs is even.
ok, thanks.

Related to Proving Hard Inequalities for Acute Angles and Trigonometric Functions

1. What are hard inequalities problems?

Hard inequalities problems refer to mathematical equations or expressions where the variables are subject to a set of constraints or inequalities. These constraints make the problem more difficult to solve compared to regular equations with only equalities.

2. What makes solving hard inequalities problems challenging?

The main challenge in solving hard inequalities problems is finding the values of the variables that satisfy all the given constraints. This often requires advanced mathematical techniques and critical thinking skills.

3. How are hard inequalities problems used in science?

Hard inequalities problems are commonly used in mathematical modeling and optimization in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They help in finding the optimal solution to complex problems with multiple constraints.

4. What are some common strategies for solving hard inequalities problems?

Some common strategies for solving hard inequalities problems include graphing, substitution, and using mathematical software programs. Other techniques such as linear programming and calculus may also be applied depending on the complexity of the problem.

5. Can hard inequalities problems have more than one solution?

Yes, hard inequalities problems can have multiple solutions depending on the given constraints. In some cases, there may even be an infinite number of solutions. It is important to check all possible solutions to ensure the optimal one is chosen.