Proving Inequalities: Tips & Tricks from Dave

In summary, the conversation is about finding a "principled" approach to proving inequalities, specifically when something states "prove something <= something else." The speaker mentions their struggle with this type of problem and their usual method of trial and error. They ask if there is a more structured approach or any resources to learn about it. The other person suggests an example and explains their method, using algebra and logic to show how to approach these types of problems.
daviddoria
I never have much luck when something says "prove something <= something else". I usually just fiddle around and occasionally get lucky and reduce it to a constant < an express I know can't be less than that constant. But most times I can't reduce it to something like that. Is there any kind of "principled" approach that someone can suggest/ point me to read about?

As an example, say it was something like
[tex]ln(1+a) \leq a^2 b[/tex]

How would you approach something like this?

Thanks,

Dave

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can, in general, use any number of arguments to show something like that.

For the natural log one, just raise e to both sides. Then you get

1 + a = exp(b*a^2)

Then you can write

1 = exp(b*a^2) - a.

I don't know... then just pull out an exponential term and get

1 = exp(b*a^2)(1 - a*exp(-b*a^2)) and argue that, as either A or b grow without bound, the right hand simplifies to exp(b*a^2) and the left remains constant. And for a, b both positive, this is clearly true.

I mean, it's just algebra, some logic, and knowing what you're trying to show. Does that help?

Related to Proving Inequalities: Tips & Tricks from Dave

1. What is the purpose of "Proving Inequalities: Tips & Tricks from Dave"?

The purpose of "Proving Inequalities: Tips & Tricks from Dave" is to provide helpful tips and strategies for proving inequalities in mathematics. These tips are based on the experience and expertise of the author, Dave, who has successfully proven many inequalities throughout his career.

2. Who is the intended audience for this resource?

The intended audience for "Proving Inequalities: Tips & Tricks from Dave" is anyone who is interested in learning how to effectively prove inequalities in mathematics. This could include students, teachers, or anyone who wants to improve their understanding and skills in this area.

3. How can this resource be used to improve my skills in proving inequalities?

This resource provides specific tips and tricks that can help you approach and solve inequalities in a more efficient and effective way. By following these strategies and practicing with the examples provided, you can improve your skills in proving inequalities and become more confident in your mathematical abilities.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using this resource?

While it may be helpful to have a basic understanding of algebra and mathematical notation, there are no strict prerequisites for using "Proving Inequalities: Tips & Tricks from Dave". The tips and tricks provided can be applied to various types of inequalities, so anyone with an interest in the topic can benefit from this resource.

5. Can I use these tips and tricks for proving inequalities in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, the strategies and techniques outlined in "Proving Inequalities: Tips & Tricks from Dave" can be applied to various types of inequalities in different areas of mathematics. While this resource focuses on proving inequalities, the concepts and approaches discussed can also be applied to other mathematical problems.