Proving Inequality between Positive Real Numbers a and b: a(a+b) ≤ 2

In summary, the inequality statement "a(a+b) ≤ 2" means that the product of two positive real numbers, a and (a+b), is less than or equal to 2. To prove the inequality, we can use the properties of real numbers and mathematical manipulation. A specific range of values for a and b that will always satisfy the inequality is when both are greater than or equal to 1. However, this inequality cannot be extended to include negative real numbers.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let a and b be positive real numbers such that ##a^5+b^3 \le a^2+b^2##.

Prove that ##a(a+b) \le 2##.

Likes bob012345, Greg Bernhardt and topsquark
Physics news on Phys.org
Plot of the two equations for investigation
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i2d=true&i=plot+Power[x,5]+Power[y,3]-Power[x,2]-Power[y,2]=0++and+x\(40)x+y\(41)=2+for+0<x<2+0<y<2&lang=en
The crossing point is (1,1). Looking at first and second derivatives at this point and investigating the extremes would prove the statement though it may be beyond high school.

In more preliminary thoughts
[tex]x^5+y^3-x^2-y^2=0...(1)[/tex]
has points (0,1) (1,0)
[tex]x(x+y)=2...(2)[/tex]
has points (0,+\infty) (\sqrt{2},0)
They have only one common point (1,1)

[tex]\infty>1,\sqrt{2}>1[/tex]
mean (1) and (2) touch at (1,1) but no crossing. So looking at xy plane graphs of (1) and (2), we know the inequality is satisfied.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
This was an interesting problem I enjoyed working on. Here is my solution.
We are given $$a^5+b^3 \le a^2+b^2$$ and wish to show if that then $$a(a+b) \le 2$$

add ##a^2 + ab## to both sides

$$a^2 + ab + a^5+b^3 \le a^2 + ab + a^2+b^2$$ then move some terms over

$$a(a + b) \le 2a^2 + ab +b^2 - a^5 - b^3$$ the expression on the RHS is some function

$$f(a,b) = 2a^2 + ab +b^2 - a^5 - b^3$$ which we can find the maximum of. Taking partials we get

$$\frac{\partial f(a,b)}{\partial a} = 4a + b -5a^4 = 0$$ and
$$\frac{\partial f(a,b)}{\partial b} = a +2b -3b^2 = 0$$we get

$$ a = 3b^2 -2b$$ and $$b = 5a^4 -4a$$ substituting we get this beast
$$75a^7 -120a^4 -10a^3 + 48a +7 = 0$$ which has real positive solutions ##a=1## and ##a≈0.90173## the latter gives ##b≈-0.30812## which is not allowed so we have ##a=1## and therefore ##b=1##

this gives $$f(1,1) = 2a^2 + ab +b^2 - a^5 - b^3 = 2 + 1 + 1 - 1 -1 = 2$$ thus

$$a(a+b) \le 2$$ given the original constraint.

Mathcad 3D
Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 5.12.03 PM.png
https://www.math3d.org/TRHrXnwZS
[\SPOILER]

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
Let us observe two (x,y) plots
[tex]x^5-x^2+y^3-y^2=0...(1)[/tex]
[tex]x(x+y)=2...(2)[/tex]
for x,y>0. From (2)
[tex]y=\frac{2}{x}-x...(3)[/tex]
By substituting y in (1) by (3), we get x equation of crossing of (1) and (2). Multiplyng x^3, it is
[tex](x-1)^2(x^6+2x^5+2x^4+4x^2+12x+8)=0...(4)[/tex]
As x^6+2x^5+2x^4+4x^2+12x+8 >0 for x>0, we know at (x,y)=(1,1) (1) and (2) touch but they have no crossing points for x>0.
Thus (x,y) x>0 y>0 satisfying
[tex]x^5-x^2+y^3-y^2 \leq 0[/tex]
also satisfy
[tex]x(x+y) \leq 2[/tex]
Fig. https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i2d=true&i=plot+Power[x,5]+Power[y,3]-Power[x,2]-Power[y,2]=0++and+x\(40)x+y\(41)=2+for+0<x<2+0<y<2&lang=en
QED

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
bob012345 said:
This was an interesting problem I enjoyed working on. Here is my solution.
We are given $$a^5+b^3 \le a^2+b^2$$ and wish to show if that then $$a(a+b) \le 2$$

add ##a^2 + ab## to both sides

$$a^2 + ab + a^5+b^3 \le a^2 + ab + a^2+b^2$$ then move some terms over

$$a(a + b) \le 2a^2 + ab +b^2 - a^5 - b^3$$ the expression on the RHS is some function

$$f(a,b) = 2a^2 + ab +b^2 - a^5 - b^3$$ which we can find the maximum of. Taking partials we get

$$\frac{\partial f(a,b)}{\partial a} = 4a + b -5a^4 = 0$$ and
$$\frac{\partial f(a,b)}{\partial b} = a +2b -3b^2 = 0$$we get

$$ a = 3b^2 -2b$$ and $$b = 5a^4 -4a$$ substituting we get this beast
$$75a^7 -120a^4 -10a^3 + 48a +7 = 0$$ which has real positive solutions ##a=1## and ##a≈0.90173## the latter gives ##b≈-0.30812## which is not allowed so we have ##a=1## and therefore ##b=1##

this gives $$f(1,1) = 2a^2 + ab +b^2 - a^5 - b^3 = 2 + 1 + 1 - 1 -1 = 2$$ thus

$$a(a+b) \le 2$$

Mathcad 3D
View attachment 314293https://www.math3d.org/TRHrXnwZS
[\SPOILER]
Well hold on now. If you're going to find the maximum subject to the constraints, then you have to be concerned about the possibility that the maximum lies on the constraint, and the gradient is not zero there.

Office_Shredder said:
Well hold on now. If you're going to find the maximum subject to the constraints, then you have to be concerned about the possibility that the maximum lies on the constraint, and the gradient is not zero there.
I'm not finding the maximum of the LHS subject to the original constraint but the maximum of the entire function on the RHS and that is less than or equal to 2. I started with the constraint and transformed it into the desired condition on the LHS then showed that the resulting function on the RHS has a maximum of 2 given the original constraint. Look at the plot also please.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply to this POTW's thread! I have been real busy with work, and I apologize for MIA for almost two weeks too.

Here is another bright solution of other that I wish to share with the community:

By AM-GM inequality, we have

##2a^5+3\ge 5a^2## and ##2b^3+1\ge 3b^2##

Therefore we get

##2(a^2+b^2) \ge 2(a^5+b^3) \ge 5a^2+3b^2-4##

This simplifies to ##3a^2+b^2\le 4##.

Now we need to prove ##2a(a+b)\le 3a^2+b^2##, but this is equivalent to ##(a-b)^2\ge 0##, hence, the proof follows.

Likes bob012345, anuttarasammyak and topsquark

1. How do you prove the inequality between two positive real numbers a and b?

To prove the inequality between two positive real numbers a and b, we need to show that a(a+b) ≤ 2. This can be done by using basic algebraic manipulations and properties of inequalities.

2. What is the significance of the inequality a(a+b) ≤ 2?

The inequality a(a+b) ≤ 2 is significant because it shows that the product of two positive real numbers a and b is always less than or equal to 2. This can have implications in various mathematical and scientific calculations and proofs.

3. Can you provide an example of how to prove the inequality a(a+b) ≤ 2?

Yes, for example, if we let a = 1 and b = 2, then a(a+b) = 1(1+2) = 3, which is greater than 2. This disproves the inequality. However, if we let a = 1 and b = 1, then a(a+b) = 1(1+1) = 2, which is equal to 2 and satisfies the inequality. This is just one example, but the inequality can be proven using various other values for a and b.

4. Is the inequality a(a+b) ≤ 2 always true for positive real numbers a and b?

Yes, the inequality a(a+b) ≤ 2 is always true for positive real numbers a and b. This can be proven mathematically using the properties of inequalities and by considering various cases and values for a and b.

5. How can the inequality a(a+b) ≤ 2 be applied in real-world scenarios?

The inequality a(a+b) ≤ 2 can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum amount of resources that can be allocated for a project, or the maximum load that a structure can withstand. It can also be applied in financial calculations, such as determining the maximum profit that can be made from a given investment.