Proving Inequality for All $n \ge 1$

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, for all positive integers $n$, the inequality $\frac{n^3}{n^5 + 4n + 1} \le \frac{1}{n^2}$ holds true. This is because, when $n^3$ is in the numerator, the inequality is guaranteed to hold for any numerator greater than 1. Additionally, $n$ must be greater than or equal to 1 in order for the left-hand side of the inequality to be defined.
tmt1
I have this inequality:

$$ \frac{n^3}{n^5 + 4n + 1} \le \frac{1}{n^2}$$

for all $n \ge 1$

I get that

$$ \frac{1}{n^5 + 4n + 1} \le \frac{1}{n^2}$$

but how do I guarantee that when $n^3$ is in the numerator, this inequality holds? Is this for any numerator greater than 1? Also, why must $n$ be greater than or equal to 1?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rearrange the left-hand side like so:

$\dfrac{n^2}{n^2}\cdot \dfrac{n^3}{n^5 + 4n + 1} = \dfrac{1}{n^2}\cdot\dfrac{n^5}{n^5 + 4n + 1} < \dfrac{1}{n^2}$

whenever $n^5 + 4n + 1 > n^5$, that is, when $4n + 1 > 0$, so $n > -\frac{1}{4}$.

If $n$ is an integer, this means $n$ must be non-negative. But we cannot allow $n = 0$, or else the RHS of the inequality is undefined. That leaves $n \geq 1$ (unless you want to make some awkward qualifications about when $n = 0$).

The inequality still holds for all non-zero reals $n$ greater than $-\frac{1}{4}$, but the use of the letter $n$ typically indicates a natural number.

Since n is positive, if if were true that \(\displaystyle \frac{n^3}{n^5+ 4n+ 1}\le \frac{1}{n^2}\) then, multiplying by \(\displaystyle n^2(n^5+ 4n+ 1)\) we would have \(\displaystyle n^5\le n^5+ 4n+ 1\). That is the same as \(\displaystyle 0\le 4n+ 1\) which, since n is positive, is true. To prove the original statement, work back. It is true that \(\displaystyle 0\le 4n+ 1\). Add \(\displaystyle n^5\) to both sides to get \(\displaystyle n^5\le n^5+ 4n+ 1\). Now divide both sides by \(\displaystyle n^2(n^4+ 4n+ 1)\).

tmt said:
I have this inequality: $ \frac{n^3}{n^5 + 4n + 1} \le \frac{1}{n^2} $ for all $n \ge 1$
I get that.

$$ \frac{1}{n^5 + 4n + 1} \le \frac{1}{n^2}$$

but how do I guarantee that when $n^3$ is in the numerator, this inequality holds?
Is this for any numerator greater than 1?
Also, why must $n$ be greater than or equal to 1?

[tex]\begin{array}{cccc}\text{For } n > 1, & 4n + 1 \:\ge\:0 \\ \\
\text{Add }n^5: & n^5 + 4n+1 \:\ge\:n^5 \\ \\
\text{Take reciprocals:} & \dfrac{1}{n^5+4n+1} \:\le \:\dfrac{1}{n^5} \\ \\
\text{Multiply by }n^3: & \dfrac{n^3}{n^5+4n+1} \:\le \: \dfrac{n^3}{n^5} \\ \\
\text{Therefore:} & \dfrac{n^3}{n^5+4n+1} \:\le\: \dfrac{1}{n^2}
\end{array}[/tex]

What is the definition of "Proving Inequality for All $n \ge 1$?"

Proving inequality for all $n \ge 1$ means demonstrating that a certain statement or equation is true for all values of n greater than or equal to 1.

Why is it important to prove inequality for all $n \ge 1$?

Proving inequality for all $n \ge 1$ is important because it allows us to make generalizations and conclusions that apply to all values of n greater than or equal to 1. This can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and economics.

What are some common techniques used to prove inequality for all $n \ge 1$?

Some common techniques used to prove inequality for all $n \ge 1$ include mathematical induction, contradiction, and direct proof. Each technique has its own advantages and can be used depending on the specific problem at hand.

Can we prove inequality for all values of n, or are there limitations?

In most cases, we can prove inequality for all values of n. However, there may be some cases where the statement or equation does not hold true for certain values of n. In those cases, we would need to specify the limitations of the proof.

How can we apply the concept of proving inequality for all $n \ge 1$ in real life?

The concept of proving inequality for all $n \ge 1$ can be applied in various real-life situations, such as analyzing trends and patterns in data, making predictions, and determining optimal solutions. For example, in economics, proving inequality for all $n \ge 1$ can help us understand the distribution of wealth or income among a population and make informed decisions.