Proving Inequality: Non-Negative Variables and Limitations Explained

• Thread starter Demonoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the inequality (x-2y+z)^2 >= 4xz -8y, with the given condition x+z<=2. Suggestions are made to choose y as 0 and manipulate the expression to prove the inequality. The conversation also includes attempts and errors made in the process. Ultimately, it is proven that the inequality is true when y is non-negative.
Demonoid
Question:
I need to prove this inequality:
Where x,y,x are non-negative and x+z<=2:

(x-2y+z)^2 >= 4xz -8y.

My attempt:

I thought maybe choosing x as 0 and z as 0 will and then solving for y... but that only yields y+2 >= 0, which isn't really a solution, since I can't choose numbers.

all suggestions are appreciated

thanks !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Consider that if y = 0, that formula becomes (x-z)^2 >= 0. That should give you a clue.

vertigo said:
Consider that if y = 0, that formula becomes (x-z)^2 >= 0. That should give you a clue.

I don't get this clue :-p How's y ever going to be 0 ?
Even if y is 0, it will be (x+z)^2 >= 4xz, which isn't very helpful...

I need to prove this:
(x-2y+z)^2 >= 4xz -8y.

using this:
x+z<=2:I can't seem to simplify (x-2y+z)^2 >= 4xz -8y enough to get x,y,z by themselves..
I expanded first:
x^2 - 4y^2 + z^2 >= 4xz - 8y.
and then got this:

(x-z)^2 - 4y^2 + 8y^2 >= 2xz and I'm stuck...

I don't know how I can use x+z<=2 ?

Last edited:
Demonoid said:
I can't seem to simplify (x-2y+z)^2 >= 4xz -8y enough to get x,y,z by themselves..
I expanded first:
x^2 - 4y^2 + z^2 >= 4xz - 8y.

That is wrong. (a-b)^2 does not equal a^2 - b^2.

Keep trying, you've made mistakes.

Ok, I think I'm getting closer:

Here's what I've got:

(x-z)^2 - 4(yx - yz + y^2 + 2y) >=0

now I get why y = 0, would give me (x-z)^2...

but how would y be equal to 0 ?

Now you need to look at that, manipulate it, and convince yourself that it is true.

Oh, I think you have a slight error with that formula.

Last edited:
(x-z)^2 - 4yx - 4yz +4y^2 + 8y >= 0

is this right ?

Let's look at it from the start, from the following expression:
[tex](x-2y+z)^{2}-4xz+8y[/tex]
Exapanding the parenthesis, and rearranging, we get:
[tex](x-2y+z)^{2}-4xz+8y=x^{2}-2xz+z^{2}+4(y^{2}+(2-(x+z))y=(x-z)^{2}+4(y^{2}+Ay), A=2-(x+z)>0[/tex]

Now, since y is non-negative, your result follows easily..

Related to Proving Inequality: Non-Negative Variables and Limitations Explained

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It represents a relationship where one quantity is less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to the other quantity.

2. How do you solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol and keep the constant on the other side. The steps for solving an inequality are similar to solving an equation, but remember to reverse the inequality symbol if you multiply or divide both sides by a negative number.

3. Can you graph an inequality?

Yes, you can graph an inequality on a coordinate plane. You will need to first find the solution set by solving the inequality. Then, depending on the type of inequality, you will either use a solid or dashed line and shading to represent the solution set on the graph.

4. What is the difference between an equation and an inequality?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows that two expressions are equal, while an inequality shows a relationship between two expressions that are not necessarily equal. Inequalities are often used to represent real-life situations where one quantity is greater than or less than another.

5. Can inequalities only have numbers as solutions?

No, inequalities can also have variables as solutions. In fact, that is often the case when solving for an unknown quantity in a real-life situation. The solution set for an inequality can include numbers, variables, or a combination of both.