Proving inverse of a 2 x 2 matrix is really an inverse

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for solving linear equation systems in 2 variables using matrix operations. The formula involves swapping the diagonal entries, putting a minus sign in front of the entries on the side diagonal, and dividing by the determinant. This method is helpful for those who struggle with visualizing solutions and can be used for more complicated examples.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1682211587003.png

Dose someone please know how ##ad - bc## and ##-cb + da## are equal to 1?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
They are not equal to 1. They are both divided by ad-bc, which gives 1.

Likes PhDeezNutz and ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
They are not equal to 1. They are both divided by ad-bc, which gives 1.
Oh thank you @FactChecker ! I see now

This formula
$$
\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\c&d\end{pmatrix}^{-1}=\begin{pmatrix}d&-b\\-c&a\end{pmatrix} \cdot (ad-bc)^{-1}
$$

is so easy to memorize ...
  1. swap the diagonal entries ##a \leftrightarrow d##
  2. put a minus sign in front of the entries on the side diagonal ##b \rightarrow -b\, , \,c\rightarrow -c##
  3. and finally, divide by the determinant ##ad-bc.##
... that I use it whenever I have to solve a linear equation system in ##2## variables.

E.g. I wanted to write ##16 \cdot 24 ## and ##8\cdot 48## as ##(n-m)\cdot (n+m)## today. That goes:
\begin{align*}
\begin{pmatrix}1&-1\\1&1 \end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}n\\m\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}16\\24 \end{pmatrix}
\end{align*}
Then by doing the procedure as described I get
\begin{align*}
\begin{pmatrix}n\\m \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\-1&1 \end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}16\\24 \end{pmatrix}\cdot \underbrace{(1\cdot 1- (-1\cdot 1))^{-1}}_{=1/2}=\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\-1&1 \end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}8\\12 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}8+12\\ -8+12\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}20\\4 \end{pmatrix}
\end{align*}
Same with the other product ##8\cdot 48.##

I know this was an easy example and could probably just "be seen". But I'm better with algorithms than "seeing" things. Once you get used to that procedure it is really easy to follow. Especially if the examples are a bit more complicated.

• Informative
Likes ChiralSuperfields

1. What is the definition of an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a square matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, an inverse matrix "undoes" the original matrix.

2. How do you prove that a 2 x 2 matrix is the inverse of another matrix?

To prove that a 2 x 2 matrix is the inverse of another matrix, you need to multiply the two matrices together and see if the result is the identity matrix. If it is, then the 2 x 2 matrix is the inverse of the original matrix.

3. What is the importance of proving the inverse of a matrix?

Proving the inverse of a matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations, perform matrix operations, and find solutions to many other mathematical problems.

4. Are there any specific steps or methods for proving the inverse of a 2 x 2 matrix?

Yes, there are specific steps for proving the inverse of a 2 x 2 matrix. These steps involve using the properties of matrices, such as the commutative and associative properties, and performing matrix operations, such as multiplication and addition.

5. Can the inverse of a 2 x 2 matrix always be found?

No, the inverse of a 2 x 2 matrix can only be found if the determinant of the matrix is not equal to 0. If the determinant is equal to 0, then the matrix does not have an inverse.