Proving Linear Manipulation to Reduce to GCD of Two Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove that a linear combination of two co-prime numbers can produce 1, and suggests using the Euclidean Algorithm to find the GCD and reverse the steps to find a linear combination that equals the GCD. There is also mention of using multiples of x with respect to a number coprime to y.
Avichal
Given two numbers m and n, I need to prove that if a linearly manipulate them I can reduce them to their gcd.
example:- 5 and 3. 3+3-5=1 which is their gcd.

For that I assumed m as gx and n as gy where g is their gcd and x&y are co-prime. So if I am able to prove that linear combination of x&y(any co-prime numbers) can produce 1 then I am done.

Am I making a simple question too complicated?
Anyways thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Avichal said:
Given two numbers m and n, I need to prove that if a linearly manipulate them I can reduce them to their gcd.
example:- 5 and 3. 3+3-5=1 which is their gcd.

For that I assumed m and gx and n as gy where is g is their gcd and x&y are co-prime. So if I am able to prove that linear combination of x&y(any co-prime numbers) can produce 1 then I am done.

Am I making a simple question too complicated?
Anyways thank you
Looks like a homework question. No you stated exactly what you must do. Not too complicated at all. Try looking at multiples of x with respect to y+a.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
Looks like a homework question. No you stated exactly what you must do. Not too complicated at all. Try looking at multiples of x with respect to y+a.
Not a homework question at all. Anyways, what is a?

Avichal said:
Not a homework question at all. Anyways, what is a?
a is a number coprime to y such as 1 mod y

Well I'm going nowhere. I need to prove that linear combination of x&y(two co-prime numbers) gives one for some specific combination, right? How do I proceed with that?

Avichal said:
Well I'm going nowhere. I need to prove that linear combination of x&y(two co-prime numbers) gives one for some specific combination, right? How do I proceed with that?
Note that x == (1+y)x mod y. Let 1 <=i,j <y and assume ix-jx = 0 mod y Since y > i,j and y does not divide x then i must equal j. Therefore there must be y-1 distinct numbers N between 0 and y such that N ==kx mod y. and 1 must be one of them.

There is a method of finding the GCD of two numbers it is called the Euclidean Algorithm. Once the GCD is found the steps of the algorithmn can be reversed to find the GCD as a linear combination of the two numbers. Try searching for Euclidean Algorithm.

1. How do you define linear manipulation?

Linear manipulation is a mathematical concept that involves performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on a given set of numbers or variables in a linear manner.

2. What is the GCD of two numbers?

The GCD, or greatest common divisor, of two numbers is the largest number that divides both of the given numbers without leaving a remainder. It is often used in simplifying fractions and finding common factors.

3. How can linear manipulation be used to reduce to GCD of two numbers?

Linear manipulation can be used to reduce the GCD of two numbers by identifying and applying the appropriate operations to both numbers until they share a common factor, which is the GCD.

4. What is the purpose of proving linear manipulation to reduce to GCD of two numbers?

The purpose of proving linear manipulation to reduce to GCD of two numbers is to show that the GCD can be found through a series of systematic and logical steps, rather than through guesswork or trial and error.

5. Can linear manipulation always be used to reduce to GCD of two numbers?

Yes, linear manipulation can always be used to reduce to GCD of two numbers as long as the appropriate operations are applied in a systematic and consistent manner. However, some numbers may have a GCD that is 1, meaning they have no common factors, making it impossible to reduce using linear manipulation.