Proving Tapp's Proposition 2.4: Complex Matrices as Real Matrices

In summary: Y_1), F(X_2+Y_2), ..., F(X_n+Y_n))= (F(X_1)+F(Y_1), F(X_2)+F(Y_2), ..., F(X_n)+F(Y_n))= (F(X_1), F(X_2), ..., F(X_n)) + (F(Y_1), F(Y_2), ..., F(Y_n))= F(X) + F(Y)Thus, we have shown that F is additive.Property 2: To show that F is scalar-multiplicative, we will take an arbitrary vector X \in \mathbb{C}^n and a scalar c \in \mathbb{C}, and show that
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Kristopher Tapp's book: Matrix Groups for Undergraduates.

I am currently focused on and studying Section 1 in Chapter2, namely:

"1. Complex Matrices as Real Matrices".I need help in fully understanding how to prove an assertion related to Tapp's Proposition 2.4.

Proposition 2.4 and some comments following it read as follows:
View attachment 9571
In the remarks following Proposition 2.4 we read the following:

" ... ... It (\(\displaystyle F\)) is \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)-linear if and only if \(\displaystyle F(i \cdot X) = i \cdot F(X)\) for all \(\displaystyle X \in \mathbb{C}^n\) ... "My question is as follows ... can someone please demonstrate a proof of the fact that \(\displaystyle F\) is \(\displaystyle \mathbb(C)\)-linear if and only if \(\displaystyle F(i \cdot X) = i \cdot F(X)\) for all \(\displaystyle X \in \mathbb{C}^n\) ... Note that even a indication of the main steps of the proof would help ...Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter ===================================================================================
*** EDIT ***

After a little reflection it appears that " ... \(\displaystyle F\) is \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)-linear \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) \(\displaystyle F(i \cdot X) = i \cdot F(X)\) ... " is immediate as ...

... taking \(\displaystyle c = i\) we have ...

\(\displaystyle F(c \cdot X ) = c \cdot F(X)\) \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) \(\displaystyle F(i \cdot X) = i \cdot F(X)\) for \(\displaystyle c \in \mathbb{C}\)Is that correct?

=======================================================================================
=======================================================================================

Tapp defines \(\displaystyle \rho_n\) and \(\displaystyle f_n\) in the following text ... ... View attachment 9574
View attachment 9572
\(\displaystyle R_B\) (actually \(\displaystyle R_A\)) is defined in the following text ...
View attachment 9573
Note that Tapp uses \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}\) to denote one of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}, \mathbb{C}\), or \(\displaystyle \mathbb{H}\) ... ... Hope that helps ...

Peter

Attachments

• Tapp - Defn 2.3 & Proposition 2.4 ... .png
    Tapp - Defn 2.3 & Proposition 2.4 ... .png
    19.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Tapp - 2 - Chapter 2, Section 1 - PART 2 ... .png
    Tapp - 2 - Chapter 2, Section 1 - PART 2 ... .png
    18 KB · Views: 57
  • Tapp - Defn 1.9 & Defn 1.10 ... .png
    Tapp - Defn 1.9 & Defn 1.10 ... .png
    25.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Tapp - 1 - Chapter 2, Section 1 - PART 1 ... .png
    Tapp - 1 - Chapter 2, Section 1 - PART 1 ... .png
    32.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Peter,

Thank you for reaching out for help with understanding Proposition 2.4 in Chapter 2 of Kristopher Tapp's book on Matrix Groups for Undergraduates. I am happy to assist you in fully understanding this proposition and its proof.

Firstly, let us recall the statement of Proposition 2.4:

Proposition 2.4: Let F: \mathbb{C}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{C}^m be a function. Then, F is \mathbb{C}-linear if and only if F(i \cdot X) = i \cdot F(X) for all X \in \mathbb{C}^n.

To prove this proposition, we will need to use the definition of a \mathbb{C}-linear function. A function F: \mathbb{C}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{C}^m is said to be \mathbb{C}-linear if it satisfies the following properties:

1. F(X+Y) = F(X) + F(Y) for all X, Y \in \mathbb{C}^n
2. F(c \cdot X) = c \cdot F(X) for all X \in \mathbb{C}^n and c \in \mathbb{C}

Now, let us prove the "if" part of the proposition, i.e., assuming F(i \cdot X) = i \cdot F(X) for all X \in \mathbb{C}^n, we need to show that F is \mathbb{C}-linear. To do so, we will use the two properties listed above.

Property 1: To show that F is additive, we will take two arbitrary vectors X, Y \in \mathbb{C}^n and show that F(X+Y) = F(X) + F(Y). By the definition of addition of complex numbers, we have (X+Y)_j = X_j + Y_j for j = 1,2,...,n. Now, using the linearity of F, we have:

F(X+Y) = F((X+Y)_1, (X+Y)_2, ..., (X+Y)_n)
= F(X_1+Y_1, X_2+Y_2, ..., X_n+Y_n)
= (F(X_1+

1. What is Tapp's Proposition 2.4?

Tapp's Proposition 2.4 states that any complex matrix can be written as a real matrix with twice the number of rows and columns.

2. Why is it important to prove this proposition?

This proposition is important because it allows us to simplify complex matrices and make them easier to work with in calculations and applications.

3. What is the process for proving Tapp's Proposition 2.4?

The proof involves showing that a complex matrix can be written as a real matrix by using a specific mapping function and then showing that this mapping function preserves the properties of the original matrix.

4. What are some real-world applications of Tapp's Proposition 2.4?

This proposition has applications in various fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and computer graphics, where complex matrices are commonly used. It allows for more efficient and accurate calculations in these applications.

5. Are there any limitations to Tapp's Proposition 2.4?

While this proposition is useful in simplifying complex matrices, it does not apply to all matrices. Some matrices may not be able to be transformed into real matrices using the mapping function described in the proof.