Proving the Chord One Rule in Circle Theorems | Isosceles Triangle Proof

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation discussed a proof involving isosceles triangles and the relationship between angles in a circle. The proof relies on the fact that the midpoint of a chord creates two congruent triangles, which allows for the conclusion that the angle formed by the vertex and the mid-point of the base side is 90°.
adjacent
Gold Member
One rule of circle theorems is,a line drawn from center to the mid-point of a chord cuts the cord at 90°.
What's the proof?
It's true that two radius and a chord creates an isosceles triangle.
So,
attachment.php?attachmentid=64135&stc=1&d=1384969206.gif

How can I prove that in an isosceles triangle,a line drawn from the vertex angle to the mid-point of the base side cuts the side at 90°?

Attachments

• Chord.gif
    Chord.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't (yet) know that those two angles are 90 degrees... But what do you know about them?

Nugatory said:
You don't (yet) know that those two angles are 90 degrees... But what do you know about them?
I'm not talking about the base anlgles.I am talking about the 90° angle you see in the image.
let vertex angle be y
##180-(\frac{y}{2}+x)=90##
##2x+y=180##

I can't seem to solve y and x.I don't know whether this is a proof or not. :confused:

adjacent said:
I'm not talking about the base anlgles.
I am talking about the 90° angle you see in the image.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. Those two 90-degree angles are the two angles that I mean, and my question still stands: What do you know about them?

Nugatory said:
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. Those two 90-degree angles are the two angles that I mean, and my question still stands: What do you know about them?
hahahah.

I don't know what do you mean.
In a right angle triangle, ##c^2=a^2+b^2##

c and b of both triangles is same.
so if it is two right angle triangles,a should be same
As the line was drawn to the midpoint,a is same in both triangles.So it is a right angle triangle.
Is this enough for a proof?

Last edited:
adjacent said:
hahahah.

I don't know what do you mean.
In a right angle triangle, ##c^2=a^2+b^2##

c and b of both triangles is same.
so if it is two right angle triangles,a should be same
As the line was drawn to the midpoint,a is same in both triangles.So it is a right angle triangle.
Is this enough for a proof?

No, because you've worked in the assumption both are right triangles, which is what you're trying to prove. The ##c^2=a^2+b^2## relationship isn't helping any because you don't know the values for all three to prove that you do have a right triangle...

But there's a reason I keep asking what you know about the two angles, not just one of them... What is their sum?

Nugatory said:
No, because you've worked in the assumption both are right triangles, which is what you're trying to prove. The ##c^2=a^2+b^2## relationship isn't helping any because you don't know the values for all three to prove that you do have a right triangle...

But there's a reason I keep asking what you know about the two angles, not just one of them... What is their sum?
180°.Where any straight two lines intercept,any one side of the line has 180°.
but why should this help?If we have a 40° and a 50° angle,we would still get 180 as a sum.

Your midpoint line divides the large triangle into two smaller congruent triangles. They are congruent by "SSS": the two radii of the circle, the two bases, and the single ray in both triangles. From that follows that other "corresponding parts" are congruent.

HallsofIvy said:
Your midpoint line divides the large triangle into two smaller congruent triangles. They are congruent by "SSS": the two radii of the circle, the two bases, and the single ray in both triangles. From that follows that other "corresponding parts" are congruent.
I know it's congruent.but how do I know that the angle is 90°?
I know that if vertex angle is y,the upper angle of both triangles have to be y/2

Look at the attached figure.

Since ΔABD is congruent to ΔACD ,

∠ADB = ∠ADC

Now ∠ADB + ∠ADC =180° (Linear pair )

So, 2∠ADB = 180° or ∠ADB = 90°

Attachments

• Chord.gif
    Chord.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 475
Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
Look at the attached figure.

Since ΔABD is congruent to ΔACD ,

∠ADB = ∠ADC

Now ∠ADB + ∠ADC =180° (Linear pair )

So, 2∠ADB = 180° or ∠ADB = 90°
Thank you.Now that makes sense.
You all must be very skilled in proofs.I haven't even started.

1. What is the Chord One Rule in Circle Theorems?

The Chord One Rule states that if a chord in a circle is the perpendicular bisector of another chord, then the angles formed by the first chord are equal. This rule is also known as the Isosceles Triangle Proof.

2. How can the Chord One Rule be proven in Circle Theorems?

The Chord One Rule can be proven by using the properties of perpendicular bisectors and isosceles triangles. By drawing the perpendicular bisector of one chord and using the properties of isosceles triangles, it can be shown that the angles formed by the chord are equal.

3. What are the key steps in proving the Chord One Rule?

The key steps in proving the Chord One Rule are:

1. Draw a circle with two chords intersecting at a point
  2. Draw the perpendicular bisector of one of the chords
  3. Label the angles formed by the first chord and the perpendicular bisector
  4. Use the properties of perpendicular bisectors and isosceles triangles to show that the angles are equal

4. Why is the Chord One Rule important in Circle Theorems?

The Chord One Rule is important in Circle Theorems because it allows us to prove that certain angles formed by chords in a circle are equal. This can be helpful in solving problems involving circles and also helps to understand the relationships between angles in a circle.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the Chord One Rule?

Yes, the Chord One Rule has many real-world applications. For example, it can be used in architecture and engineering to ensure that structures are built with proper proportions and angles. It can also be used in navigation and surveying to determine distances and angles between points. Additionally, the Chord One Rule is used in computer graphics to create curved lines and shapes.