Proving the result of the following limit

• Thread starter Rikudo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: For example, consider\lim_{x\to\infty} \left( 1+\frac{1}{x} \right)^x.The value of the limit is ##e##. However, if you consider\lim_{x\to\infty} \left( 1+\frac{1}{x} \right)^{x^2},the limit is ##+\infty##. If you consider\lim_{x\to\infty} \left( 1+\frac{1}{x} \right)^{\sin x},the limit doesn't exist.
Rikudo
Homework Statement
Proving value of this limit. (see the picture below)
Relevant Equations
euler's limit identity
Right now, I am trying to prove this :
lim_(x->0) x/((1 + x)^(1/x) - e) = -2/e

I tried to use this identity to solve it:
lim_(x->0) (1 + x)^(1/x) = e

Then, the limit will become ##\frac {x}{e-e}##
However, the result is still ##\frac 0 0 ##

Could you please give me hints to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
We are effectively computing derivative at ##t=0## by definition for ## f(x) := (1+x)^{1/x} ##
[tex]
\lim _{x\to 0} \frac{f(x)-f(0)}{x} = \lim _{x\to 0} \frac{(1+x)^{1/x} - e}{x}
[/tex]
The map ##f## is differentiable since it's a composition of differentiable maps (i.e the above limit exists). Expressions of the form ## \frac{d}{dx}a(x)^{b(x)}## can be tackled with logarithmic differentiation.

Seems like a fancy way of saying "use L'Hopital's rule".

nuuskur said:
We are effectively computing derivative at ##t=0## by definition for ## f(x) := (1+x)^{1/x} ##
[tex]
[/tex]
The map ##f## is differentiable since it's a composition of differentiable maps (i.e the above limit exists). Expressions of the form ## \frac{d}{dx}a(x)^{b(x)}## can be tackled with logarithmic differentiation.

Seems like a fancy way of saying "use L'Hopital's rule".
Ok. so, I tried to differentiate the ##(1+x)^{1/x}##, and using the rule, I get:

$$\lim _{x\to 0} \frac{x}{(1+x)^{1/x} - e} = \frac{1}{\frac{x(1+x)^{-1+\frac{1}{x}}\,\,-\,\,(1+x)^{\frac 1 x}\,\,ln(1+x)}{x^2}}$$

Then, all I need to do is to substitute the value of ##x## as zero, right?
The answer is quite strange...The denominator will be ##\frac 0 0##

Your denominator is
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}(1+x)^{\frac{1}{x}}[\frac{1}{x}(1- \ln (1+x)^{\frac{1}{x}})-\frac{1}{1+x}][/tex]
[tex]=e \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}[\frac{1}{x}(1- \ln (1+x)^{\frac{1}{x}})-1][/tex]
Maclaulin expansion formula of log (1+x) seems helpful for investigation of this limit.

Last edited:
Likes Rikudo
anuttarasammyak said:
Maclaulin expansion formula of log (1+x) seems helpful for investigation of this limit.
Ah. I see.. Now I managed to prove it.

There are some things that is bothering me,though..
1. Why my method in post 1 does not work?

2. I tried a different way to transform the term ##ln(1+x)##, but I only get the first term of the maclaurin series.
Here is what I did:
let ##y= ln(1+x)##

Then, we can rewrite this equation as $$e^y=(1+x)$$
Now, since x->0, we can use the identity of euler number
$$e^{\frac y x}= (1+x)^{\frac 1 x} $$
$$e^{\frac y x} = e$$
$$y = ln(1+x) = x $$
As we can see, this result slightly different from the maclaurin's (##x-\frac {x^2}{2}##)

1.[tex]\frac{x^2}{x},\frac{x}{x},\frac{x}{x^2}[/tex]
are all 0/0. We need to investigate orders to zero in denominator and numerator to get the limit value. L'Hopital rule is a popular one to do it.
2.[tex]y(x)=\ln (1+x)[/tex]
[tex]y(0)=0[/tex]
[tex]y^{(1)}(x)=\frac{1}{1+x}[/tex]
[tex]y^{(1)}(0)=1[/tex]
[tex]y^{(2)}(x)=-\frac{1}{(1+x)^2}[/tex]
[tex]y^{(2)}(0)=-1[/tex]
Thus we get Taylor series of
[tex]y(x)=\ln (1+x)=x-\frac{x^2}{2}+...[/tex]

Last edited:
I would write ##f(x) = \exp (\ln(1+x)/x)##. Then
[tex]
f'(x) = (1+x)^{1/x}\left (\frac{1}{x^2+x} - \frac{1}{x^2}\ln (1+x) \right ) \xrightarrow[x\to 0]{} - \frac{e}{2}
[/tex]
The right term converges to ##-\frac{1}{2}## so the result follows.

Rikudo said:
Ok. so, I tried to differentiate the ##(1+x)^{1/x}##, and using the rule, I get:

$$
\lim _{x\to 0} \frac{x}{(1+x)^{1/x} - e} = \frac{1}{\frac{x(1+x)^{-1+\frac{1}{x}}\,\,-\,\,(1+x)^{\frac 1 x}\,\,ln(1+x)}{x^2}}
$$

Then, all I need to do is to substitute the value of ##x## as zero, right?
The answer is quite strange...The denominator will be ##\frac 0 0##
Write ##\lim_ {x\to 0}## on the RHS as well (the derivative is incorrect, though). Substitution might work, but doesn't have to. In the event of "##\frac{0}{0}##", apply L'Hopital.

Last edited:
nuuskur said:
[tex]
[/tex]
Why can't we just substitute ##(1+x)^{1/x}## as ##e?##

then, this equation will become:
$$\lim _{x\to 0} \frac{f(x)-f(0)}{x} = \lim _{x\to 0} \frac {e- e}{x}$$
Since x is near zero, then we can make it like this:
$$\lim _{x\to 0} \frac{f(x)-f(0)}{x} = \lim _{x\to 0} \frac{0}{x}$$
So, the answer to this limit equation which I have quoted from your reply is ##0##

You can assume [itex]|x| < 1[/itex] and expand [itex](1 + x)^{1/x}[/itex] as a binomial expansion:
[tex]\begin{split}
\frac{(1 + x)^{1/x} - e}{x} &= \frac{1}{x}\left( 1 - e + \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} \prod_{k=0}^{n-1}
\left( \frac 1x - k \right) \right) \\
&= \frac{1}{x} \left(2 - e + \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{n!} \prod_{k=1}^{n-1} (1 - kx) \right) \end{split}.[/tex] The only terms you need from [itex]\prod_{k=1}^{n-1} (1 - kx)[/itex] are the O(1) and O(x) terms; everything else will vanish in the limit [itex]x \to 0[/itex].

Rikudo said:

then, this equation will become:
$$\lim _{x\to 0} \frac{f(x)-f(0)}{x} = \lim _{x\to 0} \frac {e- e}{x}$$
Since x is near zero, then we can make it like this:
$$\lim _{x\to 0} \frac{f(x)-f(0)}{x} = \lim _{x\to 0} \frac{0}{x}$$
So, the answer to this limit equation which I have quoted from your reply is ##0##
Alright, I'll bite. You claim that the derivative of every differentiable function at ##0## is equal to ##0##. That's obviously false.

You can't just limit the expression piece by piece. It's not valid in general. While it is true that ##\lim _{x\to 0} f(x)-e =0##, the quantity ##\frac{1}{x}## is not bounded as ##x\to 0##. So you can't claim the limit of the whole thing is zero.

Your argument is akin to claiming something like
[tex]
\lim _{x\to\infty} \left ( 1+\frac{1}{x} \right )^x = \lim _{x\to\infty} 1^x = 1 .. \quad\text{(this is false!)}
[/tex]
it doesn't work like that.

Likes Rikudo
Rikudo said:
Because they're not equal. The limit of the first expression, as x approaches zero, is the number e.
nuuskur said:
Your argument is akin to claiming something like $$\lim _{x\to\infty} \left ( 1+\frac{1}{x} \right )^x = \lim _{x\to\infty} 1^x = 1 .. \quad\text{(this is false!)}$$
What he said.
The limit above is another indeterminate form; namely ##[1^\infty]##. It's indeterminate because limits of this form can have arbitrary values.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that represents the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the value that a function "approaches" as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do you prove the result of a limit?

To prove the result of a limit, you must use mathematical techniques such as the epsilon-delta definition or the squeeze theorem. These techniques involve manipulating the given function and using logical reasoning to show that as the input approaches a certain value, the output also approaches a specific value.

3. What is the epsilon-delta definition of a limit?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit is a mathematical statement that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It states that for any given positive number (epsilon), there exists a corresponding positive number (delta) such that the distance between the input and the specific value is less than delta, the distance between the output and the specific value is less than epsilon.

4. Can a limit exist but not be equal to the value of the function at that point?

Yes, a limit can exist but not be equal to the value of the function at that point. This occurs when the function is not defined at that specific point or when the function has a discontinuity at that point. In these cases, the limit represents the behavior of the function as the input approaches the specific value, but the function may have a different value at that point.

5. What is the significance of proving the result of a limit?

Proving the result of a limit is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of functions and make accurate predictions about their outputs. It also provides a way to rigorously define and analyze mathematical concepts such as continuity, differentiability, and convergence. Additionally, the techniques used to prove limits are essential in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, physics, and engineering.