Proving Z[x] and Q[x] is not isomorphic

• MHB
  • Thread starter cbarker1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct mapping between the polynomial rings $\mathbb{Z}[x]$ and $\mathbb{Q}[x]$. The function $\phi$ is defined as $\phi(x^2+1)=\frac{1}{2}x$, but it is not defined on the whole of $\mathbb{Z}$. The goal is to prove that $\mathbb{Z}[x]$ and $\mathbb{Q}[x]$ are not isomorphic, and one approach suggested is to use the fact that $\mathbb{Q}[x]$ is a Euclidean domain while $\mathbb{Z}[x]$ is not. However, the conversation ends with the realization that there is no "correct
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everyone,

What is the correct mapping between the polynomial rings $\mathbb{Z}[x]$ and $\mathbb{Q}[x]$? The function $\phi$ is defined as $\phi(x^2+1)=\frac{1}{2}x$. I want to prove this problem by contradiction.

Thanks,
Cbarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cbarker1,

I don't see what is the point of your function $\phi$: it is not even defined on the whole of $\mathbb{Z}$.

In reference to the title of you post, to prove that $\mathbb{Z}[x]$ and $\mathbb{Q}[x]$ are not isomorphic, you could use the fact that $\mathbb{Q}[x]$ is a Euclidean domain, and therefore a principal ideal domain.

On the other hand, $\mathbb{Z}[x]$ is not a principal ideal domain; for example, in $\mathbb{Z}[x]$, the ideal $I =\langle x,2\rangle$ is not principal.

I can't use the principal ideal domain. Or Euclidean domain...because I have not learn about it yet.

Hi again,

In fact, it is even simpler. If $\theta:\mathbb{Z}[x]\to\mathbb{Q}[x]$ is an isomorphism, then $\theta(1) = 1$, because any ring homomorphism must map $1$ to $1$.

Now, in $\mathbb{Q}[x]$, we have $1 = \dfrac12+\dfrac12$. If $f(x)=\theta^{-1}(\dfrac12)$, we must have $f(x)+f(x) = 1$ in $\mathbb{Z}[x]$, and it is obvious that no integer polynomial satisfies that relation.

We have simply elaborated on the fact that $\mathbb{Z}$ is not isomorphic to $\mathbb{Q}$.

The point is that because they are not isomorphic, there is no "correct mapping"! If you wanted to prove that two rings are isomorphic then you would want to find a mapping that is an isomorphism. (But there still might not be a single "correct" one.)

I was trying to do a contradiction proof for that problem.

1. How do you prove that Z[x] and Q[x] are not isomorphic?

To prove that two rings are not isomorphic, we need to show that they do not have the same algebraic structure. In other words, we need to find a property or characteristic that one ring has, but the other does not.

2. What is the main difference between Z[x] and Q[x]?

The main difference between Z[x] and Q[x] is that Z[x] is a ring of polynomials with integer coefficients, while Q[x] is a ring of polynomials with rational coefficients. This means that the elements in Z[x] are only whole numbers, while the elements in Q[x] can be any rational number.

3. Can you give an example of an element in Z[x] that cannot be found in Q[x]?

Yes, for example, the polynomial x2 + 1 is an element in Z[x] but it cannot be found in Q[x]. This is because the coefficient of x2 is 1, which is an integer, and the coefficient of x is 0, which is also an integer. However, in Q[x], the coefficient of x2 would be 1, which is a rational number, and the coefficient of x would be 0, which is also a rational number.

4. Is there a way to prove that Z[x] and Q[x] are not isomorphic without using specific elements?

Yes, another way to prove that two rings are not isomorphic is by showing that they have different cardinalities. In other words, the number of elements in one ring is not equal to the number of elements in the other ring. In this case, we can show that Z[x] has an infinite number of elements, while Q[x] has a countably infinite number of elements.

5. Can Z[x] and Q[x] ever be isomorphic?

No, Z[x] and Q[x] can never be isomorphic. This is because they have different algebraic structures and cardinalities, as shown in the previous answers. Additionally, Z[x] is a commutative ring, while Q[x] is a non-commutative ring. Therefore, they cannot be isomorphic to each other.