Pulling a negative out of a square root

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of manipulating the square root of a negative number and the application of a criterion to a specific situation. The complex square root function is defined with a range of ##-{1\over 2} \pi \lt \arg {\bf z} \le {1\over 2} \pi ## and using euler's formula, the complex square root can be defined as $$ \ \sqrt {\bf z} \equiv\; \sqrt{|{\bf z}|} \; e^{i {\phi\over 2} } $$. This means that the property of ##\sqrt {\bf \alpha\beta} = \sqrt {\bf \alpha} \sqrt {\bf
Mr Davis 97
The following is invalid, since the operation is not defined when ##a, b < 0##: ##\sqrt{-1}\sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{(-1)(-1)} = \sqrt{(-1)^2} = \sqrt{1} = 1##. This is not correct, because ##ii = -1##. This shows that ##\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}## is invalid when ##a, b< 0##.

However, say we have ##\sqrt{-5}##. In order to simplify this, we do the following: ##\sqrt{-5} = \sqrt{(-1)(5)} = \sqrt{-1}\sqrt{5} = i\sqrt{5}##. Why is this a valid manipulation given the previous statement that ##\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}## is invalid when ##a, b< 0##?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
The following is invalid, since the operation is not defined when ##a, b < 0##: ##\sqrt{-1}\sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{(-1)(-1)} = \sqrt{(-1)^2} = \sqrt{1} = 1##. This is not correct, because ##ii = -1##. This shows that ##\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}## is invalid when ##a, b< 0##.

However, say we have ##\sqrt{-5}##. In order to simplify this, we do the following: ##\sqrt{-5} = \sqrt{(-1)(5)} = \sqrt{-1}\sqrt{5} = i\sqrt{5}##. Why is this a valid manipulation given the previous statement that ##\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}## is invalid when ##a, b< 0##?
You are applying a criterion where a and b are both less than zero to a situation where only one of them is less than zero. I don't see why you would expect it to apply.

Likes Mr Davis 97
In my math book (1971 :smile:) the range of the complex square root function is ##-{1\over 2} \pi \lt \arg {\bf z} \le {1\over 2} \pi ##.

With the range of ##\phi = \arg {\bf z} ## : ##- \pi \lt \phi \le \pi ##, and using euler ## \ {\bf z} \equiv |{\bf z}| e^{i\phi} ## we can now define $$ \ \sqrt {\bf z} \equiv\; \sqrt{|{\bf z}|} \; e^{i {\phi\over 2} } $$
With this definition of the complex square root you can see that ##\sqrt {\bf \alpha\beta} = \sqrt {\bf \alpha} \sqrt {\bf \beta} ## only holds if ## \ |\arg {\bf \alpha} + \arg {\bf \beta} | < \pi ##

Check out the euler formula, de moivre theorem.

Likes Mr Davis 97

Related to Pulling a negative out of a square root

1. What does it mean to "pull a negative out of a square root"?

Pulling a negative out of a square root refers to simplifying an expression that contains a negative number inside a square root. This can be done by rewriting the expression in a different form to make the negative number outside the square root.

2. How do you pull a negative out of a square root?

To pull a negative out of a square root, you can use the property of square roots that states:
√(a * b) = √a * √b.
By applying this property, you can rewrite the expression with the negative number outside the square root.

3. Why is it important to pull a negative out of a square root?

Pulling a negative out of a square root can make the expression easier to work with and can help in simplifying more complex expressions. It also follows mathematical conventions and rules to have the negative number outside the square root.

4. Can you give an example of pulling a negative out of a square root?

Sure, for example, given the expression √(-9), we can rewrite it as √(-1 * 9) = √(-1) * √(9) = i * 3 = 3i. Here, we have pulled out the negative number -1 and simplified the expression to have the imaginary number i outside the square root.

5. Are there any limitations to pulling a negative out of a square root?

Yes, there are certain limitations to pulling a negative out of a square root. This method only works for expressions that have a negative number inside the square root and can be rewritten in the form of the property stated in question 2. It may not be possible to pull a negative out in some cases, and other methods may be needed to simplify the expression.