Pump NPSHA (net positive suction head) question

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the static NPSHa of a flooded pump suction with 10 feet of suction head and a vacuum of 27" Hg above the water. The conversation also touches on the function of a hotwell from a condensing turbine exhaust and the calculation of NPSHA. The conversation ends with a discussion about the placement of pumps in deep wells and an anecdote about priming a condenser waterbox.
Dennis C
Simple (I hope) pump question.

With the pump not even running, would like to know what my static NPSHa is if I had a flooded pump suction with 10 feet suction head of water and a vacuum of 27" Hg above the water?

Basically it is the hotwell from a condensing turbine exhaust after the steam is condensed.
We hold a 10 foot suction head and it is under vacuum with steam temp about 115 degrees above it in the hotwell tank

Thank you for your time

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dennis C said:
Simple (I hope) pump question.

With the pump not even running, would like to know what my static NPSHa is if I had a flooded pump suction with 10 feet suction head of water and a vacuum of 27" Hg above the water?

Basically it is the hotwell from a condensing turbine exhaust after the steam is condensed.
We hold a 10 foot suction head and it is under vacuum with steam temp about 115 degrees above it in the hotwell tank

Thank you for your time

The head available at the pump inlet will be 10 feet of water + about 3" Hg or

10*62.4/144 = 4.33 psi + 1.43 psi = 5.76 psi less any friction losses in the piping when the condensate starts to flow.

Here's a better description of calculating NPSHA:

http://www.pumpschool.com/applications/NPSH.pdf

Thank you SteamKing!
Excellent info from the link also.
I take it the 1.43 psi is from the 3" Hg , (29.9 =14.7, roughly 2 to 1 ratio) and the total is what I thought it should be.
Now, two follow up questions.
If I open the blow off valve on the pump suction strainer, it will suck air in, so it is under a vacuum at the pump inlet, (Agree?)

Also, I understand why a pump can only "lift" water 34 ft (suction lift, not flooded) due to atmospheric pressure pushing the water up to the pump.
so why isn't the vacuum above the water trying to lift it like a pump lifting water by producing a vacuum?
Uhhh, I think I just answered my question with the "atmospheric pressure pushing the water up to the pump.
There is no pressure to push it up, correct?

Thank you so much for the help. I believe the last question is critical to my understanding

Dennis C said:
Thank you SteamKing!
Excellent info from the link also.
I take it the 1.43 psi is from the 3" Hg , (29.9 =14.7, roughly 2 to 1 ratio) and the total is what I thought it should be.
Now, two follow up questions.
If I open the blow off valve on the pump suction strainer, it will suck air in, so it is under a vacuum at the pump inlet, (Agree?)
It's not clear why you would want to do that.

Also, I understand why a pump can only "lift" water 34 ft (suction lift, not flooded) due to atmospheric pressure pushing the water up to the pump.
so why isn't the vacuum above the water trying to lift it like a pump lifting water by producing a vacuum?
Uhhh, I think I just answered my question with the "atmospheric pressure pushing the water up to the pump.
There is no pressure to push it up, correct?

You want to make sure that the NPSHA > NPSHR for the pump, in all flow regimes. If NPSHA is not sufficient, the pump will cavitate and damage the impeller.

"It's not clear why you would want to do that"
I don't want to but I know if I do, it will suck air, (I've done it quickly to confirm my suspicion) so if I installed a pressure gauge, what would it read? 5 to 6 psi? or vacuum?.

I understand the A has to be greater than R, just wondering why if I produce a vacuum to lift water with a pump, why this water doesn't "lift" and starve the pump.
Ex. a well pump on top producing suction lift, lifts the water by producing a vacuum, but the vacuum in my hotwell doesn't "lift" away from my pump below.

Dennis C said:
"It's not clear why you would want to do that"
I don't want to but I know if I do, it will suck air, (I've done it quickly to confirm my suspicion) so if I installed a pressure gauge, what would it read? 5 to 6 psi? or vacuum?
I can't really say, since I don't know how your system is laid out.

I understand the A has to be greater than R, just wondering why if I produce a vacuum to lift water with a pump, why this water doesn't "lift" and starve the pump.
Ex. a well pump on top producing suction lift, lifts the water by producing a vacuum, but the vacuum in my hotwell doesn't "lift" away from my pump below.

If a well gets too deep, then the pump must be placed at the bottom of the well and force the water to the surface. At least, that's how it was done when my household water was provided by a well (about 90 feet deep) drilled in my backyard.

Thank you, I have a much better understanding now!

SteamKing said:
If a well gets too deep, then the pump must be placed at the bottom of the well and force the water to the surface. At least, that's how it was done when my household water was provided by a well (about 90 feet deep) drilled in my backyard.
Boring Anecdote ∞-1...

When our power plants were small ,,,
"priming" the condenser waterbox doused the turbine deck with salt water, as the steam jet priming ejector was located only twenty feet or so above the seawater intake .
When starting the first "huge" 160 mw plant , operators were flustered: " Cant get the waterbox primers to blow saltwater, but vacuum is fine.. ? ?"
Resident engineer shouted "Eureka! Let's go back and move all our priming jets up above 32 feet !"

Likes rollingstein
Jim,
Good story!
I believe it was Galileo and Torricelli who figured out that due to atmospheric pressure, a pump can only lift water a max of 34 ft .
That I fully understand. It's actually the atmospheric pressure pushing the water up the well to the pump and not the pump "sucking" it up.
Thanks!

1) What is NPSHA and why is it important in pump design?

NPSHA stands for net positive suction head available and it is a measure of the absolute pressure at the suction of a pump. This is important in pump design because it determines if the pump will operate correctly and avoid cavitation, which can cause damage to the pump and decrease its efficiency.

2) How is NPSHA calculated?

NPSHA is calculated by subtracting the vapor pressure of the liquid being pumped from the total suction head of the pump. The total suction head is the sum of the suction pressure, static head, and friction head losses.

3) What is the difference between NPSHA and NPSHR?

NPSHA is the net positive suction head available, while NPSHR is the net positive suction head required. NPSHR is the minimum NPSHA that a pump needs to operate without cavitation. If the NPSHA is lower than the NPSHR, the pump will experience cavitation.

4) How does the NPSHA affect the pump's performance?

The NPSHA affects the pump's performance by determining the maximum flow rate and head that the pump can achieve without cavitation. If the NPSHA is too low, the pump's performance will decrease and it may even fail due to cavitation.

5) How can I increase NPSHA for my pump?

To increase NPSHA, you can do one or more of the following: increase the suction pressure, reduce the static head, decrease the friction losses in the suction piping, or use a pump with a lower NPSHR. It is important to consult with a pump expert to determine the best solution for your specific pump system.