PVD Vaccum Chamber -- How to clean up after Water leakage?

In summary, the PVD chamber experienced a water leakage from the cruible revoler area and unfortunately we are no longer able to achieve a stable Base pressure. We do not have the option of a bake out. Is there any other way to get rid of water in the chamber?A vacuum will chill the water - potentially causing it to freeze. But maintaining the vacuum long enough for any traces of water to remelt and evaporate should not be difficult. Likely just a few minutes.It is possible that something else happened during the clean-up that is compromising the seals. Repeated dry nitrogen flushing and pump down should do it. Removing screws and other things where water could be trapped will also help a lot. I
lamejane
TL;DR Summary
Solution to get rid of water in a vacuum chamber
Hello all ,

our PVD chamber experienced a water leakage from the cruible revoler area and unfortunately we are no longer able to achieve a stable Base pressure ( ~10e-6 mbar)

We do not have the option of a bake out. Is there any other way to get rid of water in the chamber ?
Ofcourse the water has been wiped out dry using clean room wipes, but i suspect there is still some monolayers of water adhering strongly to the chamber surface. Would repeated Nitrogen flusing help in getting rid of the water molecules? ?

1603207330088.png
Thanks !
Rgds
Jane

Engineering news on Phys.org
Applying a vacuum will chill the water - potentially causing it to freeze. But maintaining the vacuum long enough for any traces of water to remelt and evaporate should not be difficult. Likely just a few minutes.

Is it possible that something else happened during the clean-up that is compromising the seals?

Yes, repeated dry nitrogen flushing and pump down should do it. Removing screws and other things where water could be trapped will also help a lot. I see lots of nooks and crannies where there could be water trapped. I don't think you have to worry at all about the surfaces you have wiped down. What kind of pressure are you able to achieve? If you are getting to a few mtorr, you might look for a leak. Usually, water in screw threads and other nooks and crannies will manifest itself as a sort of "popping" on the vacuum gauge.

Last edited:
Likes lamejane
If you can heat the Nitrogen, things will go even quicker. If you have a 'nooks and crannies' problem, Acetone can help to get the water out in the open.

Likes lamejane
.Scott said:
Is it possible that something else happened during the clean-up that is compromising the seals?

the root cause is unkown but we suspect that the seals were faulty.

bobob said:
Yes, repeated dry nitrogen flushing and pump down should do it. Removing screws and other things where water could be trapped will also help a lot. I see lots of nooks and crannies where there could be water trapped. I don't think you have to worry at all about the surfaces you have wiped down. What kind of pressure are you able to achieve? If you are getting to a few mtorr, you might look for a leak. Usually, water in screw threads and other nooks and crannies will manifest itself as a sort of "popping" on the vacuum gauge.

Thank you, This suggestion along with heating the chamber walls with a hot blowdryer (industry grade) prior to chamber evacuation helped.
We have no Leaks.

Likes .Scott and berkeman

1. How do I know if there is a water leakage in the PVD vacuum chamber?

One way to check for water leakage is to inspect the chamber for any visible signs of water, such as puddles or wet surfaces. Another way is to monitor the pressure levels in the chamber, as water leakage can cause a sudden drop in pressure.

2. What are the potential risks of water leakage in a PVD vacuum chamber?

Water leakage can lead to contamination of the chamber, which can affect the quality and consistency of the coating being produced. It can also damage the equipment and cause safety hazards for workers.

3. How should I clean up after a water leakage in the PVD vacuum chamber?

The first step is to shut off the water source and power to the chamber. Then, carefully remove any water and dry the affected areas using absorbent materials. Next, use a mild detergent and water to clean any remaining residue. Finally, thoroughly dry the chamber before restarting it.

4. Can I prevent water leakage in the PVD vacuum chamber?

Yes, there are several measures you can take to prevent water leakage. Regularly inspecting and maintaining the chamber, using proper sealing materials, and monitoring the pressure levels can help prevent water leakage. It is also important to follow proper procedures when handling and filling the chamber with water.

5. What should I do if the water leakage in the PVD vacuum chamber is too severe to clean up on my own?

If the water leakage is significant and cannot be cleaned up easily, it is best to contact a professional technician who is trained in handling PVD vacuum chambers. They will have the necessary tools and expertise to properly clean and repair the chamber to ensure it is safe to use again.

Back