Pyro Optical Pyrometer by The Pyrometer Instrument Co. - Model/Type?

• Thread starter Shane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary: Basically, you are measuring the brightness of the filament and the brightness of the object, and then using those readings to calculate the temperature.
Shane
A friend has just given me a beautiful 1960-ish optical pyrometer. It is a Pyro Optical Pyrometer, made by The Pyrometer Instrument Co. with serial number 14081. Cannot find model or type.

Now. To the questions.

Does anyone know how this thing works? The physics I understand slightly, as in matching the intensity of a filament inside the pyrometer and comparing it with the intensity of the source to be measured. But what do these crazy knobs do?

- There is a switch knob with one position marked N and the other marked 3. Does anyone know what this does?

- Another switch marks High, Mid, or 0. This I know changes the intensity of a red filter. Why? Simply for looking at brighter sources?

- Is the intensity of the filament variable?

Does anyone know anything about these very antiquated (yet amazing) devices or know anywhere I can find out more about them? Of course I have googled them as well as checking out the Pyro brand website but can't seem to find enough definitive information about them. I was hoping one of you fine scholars and archivers of knowledge had come across this particular pyrometer and may have had the chance to work with one.

Any info helps.
Shane

Also if pictures are needed this is exactly what mine looks like:
http://hivaceq-amci.com/opticalpyro.jpg

This might also be informative (not very informative to me however)
http://www.pyrometer.com/PDF_files/Optical.PDF

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
There is a brief description of operation at the bottom of page 1 here:
http://www.pyrometer.com/PDF_files/Optical.PDF
It looks pretty much like the same model you have. You could always try calling the company (phone # is in .pdf document above), and ask for tech support or if they can provide a full user's manual.

From the limited times I used a pyrometer in the 1980's, here is what I remember:

You should be able to look through the pyrometer so that both the internal filament and external object (that you want the temperature of) are visible.

One knob will adjust the brightness of the internal filament; you adjust it until the filament "disappears", i.e. is just as bright as the external object. If the filament is too low, it appears darker than the object; if too high, then it will appears too bright.

There should be a way to get a temperature readout based on how bright you have adjusted the filament to be.

There might be a way to adjust the reading to compensate for the emissivity of the external object, if known.

I am familiar with the concept of pyrometers and their use in measuring the temperature of objects based on the intensity of thermal radiation emitted by the object. The Pyro Optical Pyrometer, made by The Pyrometer Instrument Co., is a specific type of pyrometer that uses optical principles to measure temperature.

Based on the information provided, it seems that this particular model is from the 1960s and has a serial number 14081. Unfortunately, I was not able to find any specific information about this model or type, as it may have been discontinued or is no longer in common use.

To answer your questions, the switch knob with positions marked N and 3 likely refers to the range of temperatures that can be measured. The "N" may stand for "normal" and the "3" may refer to a higher temperature range. The other switch with positions marked High, Mid, and 0 likely adjusts the intensity of the red filter, which is used to filter out certain wavelengths of light and improve accuracy in measuring the temperature of the object.

It is possible that the intensity of the filament inside the pyrometer is variable, as this can affect the accuracy and sensitivity of the instrument. However, without more information or access to the instrument, it is difficult to say for sure.

In terms of finding more information about this particular pyrometer, I suggest reaching out to the manufacturer or contacting a historical society or museum that specializes in scientific instruments. They may have more information or resources that can help you learn more about this instrument. Additionally, you can try reaching out to other scientists or engineers who may have experience with similar pyrometers.

I hope this helps, and I wish you luck in your search for more information about this interesting and unique instrument.

1. What is a Pyro Optical Pyrometer?

A Pyro Optical Pyrometer is a scientific measuring instrument used to measure the temperature of objects without making physical contact. It uses infrared radiation to calculate the temperature of an object based on its thermal radiation.

2. How does a Pyro Optical Pyrometer work?

A Pyro Optical Pyrometer works by collecting and focusing the infrared radiation emitted by an object onto a detector. The detector then converts the radiation into an electrical signal, which is calibrated to provide a temperature reading.

3. What is the accuracy of the Pyro Optical Pyrometer by The Pyrometer Instrument Co.?

The accuracy of the Pyro Optical Pyrometer by The Pyrometer Instrument Co. can vary depending on the model and type, but it typically has an accuracy of ±1% of the reading or ±1°C, whichever is greater.

4. What are the applications of a Pyro Optical Pyrometer?

Pyro Optical Pyrometers have a wide range of applications in various industries, including metal processing, glass manufacturing, ceramics production, and research and development. They are also commonly used in laboratory settings for temperature measurements.

5. Can a Pyro Optical Pyrometer be used for non-contact temperature measurements of moving objects?

Yes, a Pyro Optical Pyrometer can be used for non-contact temperature measurements of moving objects. It has a fast response time and can measure temperatures of objects in motion, making it suitable for use in industrial processes and research applications.