Q about constricting simple lie algebras from simple roots

In summary, the concept of simple roots in the context of Lie algebras and particle physics is fundamental in generating all other roots in the algebra. These simple roots are associated with an SU(2) subalgebra and must be annihilated by all the lowering operators of their corresponding subalgebra. This is because they are the lowest weight state and cannot be lowered any further.
hideelo
I'm reading "lie algebras and particle physics" by Georgi and on I'm up top where he is creating the simple algebras from simple roots and there is something I am not getting here.

On page 108 he seems to be making the claim that any simple root φ had the property that any lowering operator of any SU(2) subalgebra containing it must annihilate it. I don't see why this must be the case.

Let's assume it's false, then there exists roots α, β such that α+β =φ. If α, β are both negative, then this is impossible since φ being simple means it must be positive. If α, β are positive then φ isn't simple, which we assumed it was. But why can't we have α positive and β negative or vice versa?

In fact I would naively imagine that that's exactly what would happen. Consider some spin j SU(2) subalgebra, I would imagine that root corresponding to spin -j would be negative and it would be "raised" up to positive roots and eventually end up at some positive weight corresponding to +j. Which would mean that any simple root, since it must be positive, cannot be a lowest state and consequentially any simple root can always be lowered.

Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand your confusion and I will try my best to clarify the concept for you.

Firstly, let me explain the concept of simple roots and their relation to SU(2) subalgebras. In the context of Lie algebras and particle physics, simple roots are a set of fundamental vectors that can be used to generate all the other roots in the algebra. These simple roots are typically associated with an SU(2) subalgebra, which is a subgroup of the larger Lie algebra. The lowering and raising operators you mentioned are part of the representation theory of these SU(2) subalgebras.

Now, let's address your question about the claim made by Georgi on page 108. What he is saying is that any simple root must be annihilated by all the lowering operators of its corresponding SU(2) subalgebra. This is a consequence of the definition of a simple root and the properties of these SU(2) subalgebras. Essentially, a simple root is the lowest weight state in its SU(2) subalgebra, and as such, it cannot be lowered any further. If it could be lowered, then it would not be the lowest weight state and thus, not a simple root.

To address your example of a spin j SU(2) subalgebra, the root corresponding to spin -j would indeed be negative and would be "raised" up to positive roots. However, as I mentioned before, the simple root is the lowest weight state and cannot be lowered any further. Therefore, it cannot be raised up to a positive weight state. This is why any simple root must be annihilated by all the lowering operators of its SU(2) subalgebra.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with.Scientist in Lie Algebras and Particle Physics

What is a simple Lie algebra?

A simple Lie algebra is a type of algebraic structure that is used in mathematics and physics to study symmetry and transformations. It is defined as a non-abelian, finite-dimensional vector space over a field of scalars, equipped with a bilinear operation called the Lie bracket.

What does it mean to constrict a simple Lie algebra from simple roots?

Constricting a simple Lie algebra from simple roots refers to a process of constructing a new Lie algebra from a given one by considering a subset of its roots. These roots are called simple roots, and the resulting algebra is called a constricted simple Lie algebra.

How are simple roots used in the construction of constricted simple Lie algebras?

Simple roots are used to define the structure of the constricted simple Lie algebra. They determine the basis of the new algebra and the relationships between its elements. The simple roots also provide a way to classify and study different types of constricted simple Lie algebras.

What are some applications of constricted simple Lie algebras?

Constricted simple Lie algebras have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to study symmetries and transformations in various areas, such as group theory, differential geometry, and quantum mechanics. They also have applications in the study of gauge theories, which are important in particle physics and theoretical physics.

Are there any open questions or unresolved problems related to constricting simple Lie algebras from simple roots?

Yes, there are still many open questions and unresolved problems in the study of constricted simple Lie algebras. One of the main challenges is to find a classification of all possible constricted simple Lie algebras and to understand their properties and relationships with other mathematical structures. Additionally, there are ongoing efforts to generalize the construction of constricted simple Lie algebras to more general types of Lie algebras.