QFT: groups, effective action, fiber bundles, anomalies, EFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for textbook recommendations on various topics related to QFT such as Lorentz group and Lie group representations, effective action and potential with external sources, geometric sense of gauge fields, anomalies, topological aspects of quantum theory, and effective theory fields. The conversation also mentions the need for a book on finite-temperature QFT and asks for any recommendations on QFT books from a mathematical perspective. Some recommended books include "The Quantum Theory of Fields" by S. Weinberg and "Thermal Field Theory" by M. LeBellac.
illuminates
Hi, I am looking for textbooks in QFT. I studied QFT using Peskin And Schroeder + two year master's degree QFT programme.
I want to know about the next items:
1) Lorentz group and Lie group (precise adjectives, group representation and connection between fields and spins from the standpoint of Lorentz group)
2) Effective action, effective potential, external sources.
3) Geometric sense of gauge fields (Vertical and horizontal bundles, connection with tensors)
4) Anomalies
- clear division between axial anomaly in QCD (Theta Vacuum: axion -> 2 gluons) and axial anomaly in QCD of current (Chern–Simons term: pion->two photons, photon->three pions, ...)
- consideration anomalies in different approaches (perturbative, functional, topological (index theorem))
- difference between Consistent, Covariant, Multiplicative Anomalies
5) topologically aspects of quantum theory (instantons, sfalerons, Theta Vacuum)
6) effective theory field (sigma models, Nambu–Jona-Lasinio model)
7) introduction temperate in theory.

I would appreciate for good books.

Physics news on Phys.org
S. Weinberg, The Quantum Theory of Fields, 3 Vols, Cambridge University Press

I don't underst and 7). Do you mean finite-temperature QFT? Then I'd recommend

M. LeBellac, Thermal Field Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, Melbourne, 1996.
J. I. Kapusta and C. Gale, Finite-Temperature Field Theory; Principles and Applications, Cambridge University Press, 2 ed., 2006.
M. Laine and A. Vuorinen, Basics of Thermal Field Theory, vol. 925 of Lecture Notes in Physics, 2016.

Likes dextercioby
vanhees71 said:
Do you mean finite-temperature QFT?
Yes. Thank you for advice. Is there something other than Weinberg?

And I would like to know are there any QFT books written from a mathematical view?

1. What is QFT?

Quantum field theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles in a field. It is the basis for our understanding of fundamental forces and interactions in the universe.

2. What are groups in QFT?

In QFT, groups refer to mathematical structures that represent symmetries in physical systems. These symmetries play an important role in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions.

3. What is the effective action in QFT?

The effective action is a mathematical tool used in QFT to calculate the behavior of a system at a particular energy scale or distance scale. It takes into account all possible interactions and fluctuations of the particles in the system.

4. What are fiber bundles in QFT?

Fiber bundles are mathematical objects used to describe the geometry of space-time in QFT. They can be used to study the properties of fields and particles in a curved space-time, which is important for understanding gravity.

5. What are anomalies in QFT?

Anomalies in QFT refer to inconsistencies that arise when trying to quantize certain theories. They can arise from symmetries that are present in classical theories but are not preserved in the quantized version. Anomalies can have significant implications for the predictions and interpretations of physical theories.