Quadratic equations intersaction point is minimum instead of roots

In summary, the individual quadratic functions f(x) and g(x) have roots that lie within their designated ranges of [0 < x ≤ 5] and [5 ≤ x < 10] respectively. In order to find the roots within these ranges, the quadratic equation is used. However, it has been observed that the minimum value of the first derivative occurs at the intersection point of 5, rather than at the roots obtained from the quadratic equation. The question is how to prove that this is always the case for the intersection point in the range being the minimum solution.
gevni
I have 2 quadratic functions and I am interested in their root in the specific range. I use quadratic equation to get their roots and what I find that if their any real solution exist for both or any of the function that lie in it designated specific range, then the roots are maximum or minimum to the intersection point of range.

Let say here the intersection point is 5:

f(g) is for range [0<n<=5]
and
f(x) is for range [5<=n<10]

for f(g) real root using quadratic equation is 4.3 that lies within its range and results in equation =0 however, the minimum value of the first derivative I got is n=5 instead of n=4.3. And it is always the case and vice versa for f(x). How do I prove that intersection point in the range is always be the minimum solution?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you clarify your question please? I didn't understand, what curves intersect: two parabolic curves each others, or parabolic curve and x-axis, or something else? Maybe provide a numerical example about your problem? That could make your question clearer too.(up)

Sorry about the confusion! Let me re-write my problem:

\(\displaystyle
{GIVEN } \\
0 < x \le 5 \implies 0 < f(x) \le 5 \text { and } f(x) \text { is continuous,}\\
and \\
5 \le x < 10 \implies 5 \le g(x) < 10 \text { and } g(x) \text { is continuous,}\\
\)

if f(x) or g(x) are not in the range then I am not interested, I am only interested in the case if roots are real and in range. I am trying to find the roots of both function individually and if roots are real and in range then the extrema is always on intersection point not on the roots that I got from quadratic equation, that is 5 in above case. How to prove it?

Last edited:

1. Why is the intersection point of a quadratic equation sometimes a minimum instead of a root?

The intersection point of a quadratic equation represents the point where the parabola formed by the equation crosses the x-axis. If the parabola is facing upwards, the intersection point will be a minimum. This is because the parabola is curving upwards and the lowest point on the curve will be the intersection point. If the parabola is facing downwards, the intersection point will be a maximum instead of a root.

2. Can a quadratic equation have both a minimum and a root?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have both a minimum and a root. This occurs when the parabola formed by the equation intersects the x-axis at a point other than the minimum or maximum point. In this case, the intersection point will be a root, while the minimum or maximum point will be the vertex of the parabola.

3. How can you determine if the intersection point of a quadratic equation is a minimum or a root?

To determine if the intersection point is a minimum or a root, you can graph the equation or use the quadratic formula. If the coefficient of the x^2 term is positive, the parabola will face upwards and the intersection point will be a minimum. If the coefficient is negative, the parabola will face downwards and the intersection point will be a maximum.

4. Are minimum and maximum points the only possible intersection points of a quadratic equation?

No, the intersection points of a quadratic equation can also be roots, which occur when the parabola intersects the x-axis. Additionally, the intersection points can also be imaginary, meaning they cannot be represented on a graph. This occurs when the discriminant (b^2-4ac) of the quadratic equation is negative.

5. Can a quadratic equation have more than one minimum or maximum point?

No, a quadratic equation can only have one minimum or maximum point. This is because the parabola formed by the equation is a symmetrical curve, meaning there is only one point where the curve reaches its lowest or highest point. However, the equation can have multiple roots or imaginary intersection points.