Qualifying Exams: How to Interpret This?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary, according to a Math professor with many years of experience, qualifying exams are typically seen as a young person's game and most professors would not be able to pass them without serious preparation. This raises questions about the value and necessary preparation for becoming a research Mathematician. The professor also mentioned that most professors probably couldn't pass multiple exams, as each exam focuses on a specific area of Math. However, some may argue that after teaching these courses for many years, the material would become second nature and professors would be able to handle the exams without much effort. It is also worth considering that thorough knowledge of the material in the exams may not necessarily be a requirement for success in research, as some professors who struggled with the exams were still able
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I recently spoke with a Math professor of many years. He said that qualifying exams are
a young person's game and that he believed that neither himself nor most professors could
pass these exams without serious preparation. Is he right? If so, what does this say about both the worth of these exams and the necessary preparation to be a research Mathematician?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The reason that most professors probably couldn't pass is that you typically have to pass multiple exams. An analyst probably couldn't pass the algebra exam and vice versa. They are usually just a test of the material that you should have learned in your core courses so they're not a big deal if you paid attention.

I'm not sure. I'd probably have to study reasonably seriously to pass quals again. It's a right of passage. There's something to be said for over-learning. You learn it at 95% mastery at the time if what your goal is only to retain it at 80% mastery and so on (I just made the numbers up). I think studying for the quals also had the effect of making me slightly more problem-oriented than I was because when I studied for them, I already knew the theory well enough, and it was mostly a matter of being able to learn how to apply it. It's also a weed-out thing. It's partly about proving that you can learn something at high enough level if needed. However, I'm not sure how well-established it is that they are predictive of future success. I breezed through my quals without too much trouble, but I'm crap at research, and I know people who barely squeaked through quals, and then did pretty well at research. It could be that I have some sort of untapped research talent that was not realized in practice, partly due to lack of interest and inclination (plus, calling it quits after my PhD), but I feel like I'm not even remotely good at it.

Actually, you needn't work hard for your exams. You must just concentrate on what you want to pursue in! Example : being a mathematician!, focus on every theorems and functions that Maths contain. You needn't focus on any other subjects only a little knowledge should be known to you regarding other subjects! And you need to know how to play and make something new with existing theorems! According to me : imagination is more important than knowledge!

Officialmanojsh, where did you get your PhD? If the answer is "nowhere", maybe you shouldn't be giving advice to people trying to earn one.

I'm not sure I agree with the premise. I know of one case at a major (but not top 10) university where the students complained the qual was too hard. The department chair took it - cold - and put his in the stack to be graded. He got the highest score in the class.

But one would imagine that after teaching all these classes over the years the material would become
second nature.

WWGD said:
he believed that neither himself nor most professors could pass these exams without serious preparation

WWGD said:
But one would imagine that after teaching all these classes over the years the material would become
second nature.

Which is it? Professors can't pass these exams, or professors can because they are teaching. I'm prepared to believe either statement, just not both at the same time.

EDIT: Then please read carefully . He, the professor I spoke with, believed... I on the other hand believe, or would imagine that these
professors, after many years of teaching would be able to handle the material. I am just curious,
this professor had done some pretty serious high-end research. Is it too simplistic to conclude that thorough knowledge of the material in the quals. is not necessary to be able to do serious research (there is also the fact that this is just one opinion, though I sort-of agree with him, given that I have asked some professors these questions and many were unable to answer them on the spot)?

Last edited:

1. What are qualifying exams and why are they important?

Qualifying exams are comprehensive exams that students must pass in order to advance to the next level of their academic program, typically from coursework to dissertation research. They are important because they demonstrate a student's mastery of the material and their readiness to move on to more advanced studies.

2. How should I interpret my performance on qualifying exams?

Interpreting your performance on qualifying exams can be subjective and may vary depending on your field of study. Generally, it is important to compare your performance to the expectations set by your department or program. If you have concerns, speak with your advisor or other faculty members for guidance.

3. What are some strategies for preparing for qualifying exams?

Some strategies for preparing for qualifying exams include creating a study schedule, reviewing lecture notes and textbooks, practicing with past exams, and seeking guidance from faculty or peers. It is also important to take care of your mental and physical health during this stressful time.

4. What happens if I don't pass my qualifying exams?

If you do not pass your qualifying exams, you may be given the opportunity to retake them after a certain period of time. However, the specific policies and procedures for retaking exams vary by program, so it is important to speak with your advisor or department for more information.

5. How do qualifying exams differ from other exams I have taken?

Qualifying exams are typically more comprehensive and cover a broader range of material than other exams. They are also often more subjective and require critical thinking and application of knowledge rather than just memorization. Additionally, qualifying exams are often used to determine a student's readiness for independent research and can have a significant impact on their academic progress.