Qualitative Analysis Homework - Inference from Q Mixture

• Thread starter chikis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, there was no visible reaction when a portion of the filtrate was poured into dilute HCL + BaCL2(aq). This suggests there are no sulfates present in the solution. Furthermore, when a portion of the filtrate was poured into dilute HNO3 + AgNO3(aq) + excess dilute. NH3(aq), there was no visible reaction. This suggests that there are no Cl- ions present in the solution.
chikis

Homework Statement

Suppose you have Q as a mixure of two inorganic salts. The mixture was dissolved in water and filtered.
Test were carried out on both the filtrate and residue.
(1)When a portion of the filtrate was poured into dilute HCL + BaCL2(aq), there was no visible reaction. What would be the inference?

(2) When portion of filtrate was poured into dilute HNO3 + AgNO3(aq) + excess dilute. NH3(aq), there was no visible reaction. What would be the inference?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

.Suppose there was white precipate insoluble in excess of dilute HCl+BaCl2(aq), I would have suggested that SO42- ion is present but in this case, there is nothing like that, so what would the inference be?

The same apply to (2). Suppose, there was a white precipitate soluble in excess as the portion of filtrate was added to dilute HNO3+ AgNO3(aq). NH3(aq) then I would have suggested that Cl- ion but there was not reaction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chikis said:
I would have suggested that SO4- ion is present but in this case, there is nothing like that, so what would the inference be?

That there is no SO42-?

Borek said:
That there is no SO42-?

Sorry that is a typo. I actually wanted to write SO42-

And I answered assuming it was a typo.

Borek said:
And I answered assuming it was a typo.

The specific question have not been answered. You only corrected the typo error that I made. Thank you for that anyway.

You didn't get it. Lack of any reaction suggests the inference is "no sulfates present in the solution".

Borek said:
You didn't get it. Lack of any reaction suggests the inference is "no sulfates present in the solution".

What about the second part of the question,
When portion of filtrate was poured into dilute HNO3 + AgNO3(aq) + excess dilute. NH3(aq), there was no visible reaction. What would be the inference?

chikis said:
What about the second part of the question[/b]

What about you trying to analyze the situation and come to some conclusions?

Borek said:
What about you trying to analyze the situation and come to some conclusions?

Then I take that Cl- is absent.

What about ammonia presence?

Borek said:
What about ammonia presence?

No I don't think so!

So what is our final conclusion?

As far as I can see, the cations present in the salts given do not precipitate with Cl-. Can you find out which ions do not precipitate with Cl-? And the anions do not precipitate with silver ion.

Silver and Barium have very few soluble salts. Try to figure out them and you may get your answer.

I suspect the presence of Chlorate ions, which can form soluble salts with both Barium and Silver.

Last edited:
AGNuke said:
As far as I can see, the cations present in the salts given do not precipitate with Cl-. Can you find out which ions do not precipitate with Cl-? And the anions do not precipitate with silver ion.

Silver and Barium have very few soluble salts. Try to figure out them and you may get your answer.

I suspect the presence of Chlorate ions, which can form soluble salts with both Barium and Silver.

Please which of the test are you referring to?

Is it the one:
(1)When a portion of the filtrate was poured into dilute HCL + BaCL2(aq), there was no visible reaction. What would be the inference??

OR

Is it the one:
(2) When portion of filtrate was poured into dilute HNO3 + AgNO3(aq) + excess dilute. NH3(aq), there was no visible reaction. What would be the inference?
?

Both. When our salt is added to HCl + BaCl2, the salt's anion will form "soluble" salt with Barium. When our salt is added to HNO3 + AgNO3 + excess NH3, the salt's anion will form "soluble" salt with Silver as well.

Then I checked the solubility chart - The only anion making soluble salt with both Barium and Silver was Chlorate.

There's a line written in the question - "Test were carried out on both the filtrate and residue.". Care to elaborate what's residue. From the looks of it, the question is incomplete, since it is impossible to accurately predict the other anion and the two cations.

Last edited:

1. What is qualitative analysis?

Qualitative analysis is a method used in scientific research to identify and understand the underlying patterns, themes, and relationships in data. It involves interpreting non-numerical data, such as words, images, and observations, to gain insights and make inferences about a particular phenomenon.

2. What is the purpose of qualitative analysis?

The purpose of qualitative analysis is to provide a deeper understanding of a research topic by exploring the perspectives and experiences of individuals or groups. It can also be used to generate new hypotheses and theories to be further investigated through quantitative research methods.

3. How is qualitative analysis different from quantitative analysis?

Qualitative analysis involves interpreting descriptive data and identifying patterns, while quantitative analysis involves numerical data and statistical calculations. Qualitative analysis is often used to explore and understand a topic in depth, while quantitative analysis is used to measure and test hypotheses.

4. What is the process of qualitative analysis?

The process of qualitative analysis typically involves several steps, including data collection, data organization and coding, data analysis, and interpretation. Researchers may use various methods, such as interviews, observations, and document analysis, to collect data. The data is then organized and coded into categories and themes, which are analyzed to identify patterns and draw conclusions.

5. What are the limitations of qualitative analysis?

Some limitations of qualitative analysis include potential subjectivity and bias in data interpretation, difficulty in generalizing findings to a larger population, and the time and resources required to collect and analyze data. It is also important to ensure that the sample of data is diverse and representative to avoid biased results.